Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Sweet, thanks..
But I think I might as well stick to a simpler design :P
rawfuls is offline Find More Posts by rawfuls
Last edited by rawfuls; Jan 07, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:17 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post
Sweet, thanks..
Before you go jumping on this http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=1461
The MM tail boom support. Some things to consider. Of course you'll need the boom itself...metal tube? CF tube? And you'll need some fins (but not necessary)...but, you want it nice looking right?

There is a big difference between the MM boom and the Model 4 boom. The Model 4 boom has a "break away" allowing the boom to swing up in a bad crash. If the boom did not swing up, it's possible your boom would be damaged along with your heli frame.

BTW, I just noticed the model number on that MM tail boom support..."BCX001" Sounds like an EFlight part number to me. In that case, it "may" not fit. The Model 4 has two different brackets. One for the CX/2/3 and one for the Lama V4.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post
Sweet, thanks..
That part can also be had in the Good ol' USA. I've gotten it from BoyToyz and they have $2.49 S&H on it!!!!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:29 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
That part can also be had in the Good ol' USA. I've gotten it from BoyToyz and they have $2.49 S&H on it!!!!!!!!!
For which one of your helicopters Jack? The model number sounds like an EFlight part number (BCX001)

Mike.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:01 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Before you go jumping on this http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=1461
The MM tail boom support. Some things to consider. Of course you'll need the boom itself...metal tube? CF tube? And you'll need some fins (but not necessary)...but, you want it nice looking right?

There is a big difference between the MM boom and the Model 4 boom. The Model 4 boom has a "break away" allowing the boom to swing up in a bad crash. If the boom did not swing up, it's possible your boom would be damaged along with your heli frame.

BTW, I just noticed the model number on that MM tail boom support..."BCX001" Sounds like an EFlight part number to me. In that case, it "may" not fit. The Model 4 has two different brackets. One for the CX/2/3 and one for the Lama V4.

Mike.
Oops, sorry, I forgot to mention I was gonna base my design off of that, or just stick to picking up a Model 4.
Oh the possibilities..
I already have a aluminum boom from a Blade400 I believe..
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:32 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,303 Posts
The aluminum boom from a b400 weighs in at a hefty 18.1 grams, the carbonfibre version weighs in at 9.6 grams just an fyi.
And the only real difference in the model 4 setup is in the lower bracket. Most of the kits being sold now include both, the Esky, and the Eflite Just as Chap posted above. The model 4 boom is identical otherwise. One significant other feature is that the rest of the fin assembly can also rotate in a crash which does save in parts replacement, and some guys actually like the rubber stabilizing band on the tail which at a distance looks like rear support struts.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:21 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyhelis View Post
The aluminum boom from a b400 weighs in at a hefty 18.1 grams, the carbonfibre version weighs in at 9.6 grams just an fyi.
And the only real difference in the model 4 setup is in the lower bracket. Most of the kits being sold now include both, the Esky, and the Eflite Just as Chap posted above. The model 4 boom is identical otherwise. One significant other feature is that the rest of the fin assembly can also rotate in a crash which does save in parts replacement, and some guys actually like the rubber stabilizing band on the tail which at a distance looks like rear support struts.
Then it's not the B400..
I can't remember where it's from, I just remember buying two of them (blue booms, supposed to be for belt-drive...), one was bent, the other was perfect.
I cut one down to length (about 9 inches long), and just left it like that.
It could be too heavy, who knows...
I will definitely be picking up the Model 4 ASAP.
Looks like a sturdy boom.

I do need new blades too.. oh, and a new canopy, is anyone else still using the stock canopy?
The rear mounting hole is a bit messed up from the longer servo arms I added awhile back.

What canopy is everybody using?
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:26 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Rawfuls,

Go with a model 4 boom. You won't be disappointed.
I still have a few stock Lama canopies and rear sections in package that I am never going to use.
I fly an Xtreme canopy with the model 4 boom and idestructo skids.
Can't complain. The heli is pretty solid. It will be listed in the classifieds soon

Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:38 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,014 Posts
Well, the only thing I can say to this is the following:

A model4 boom is 20$ plus shipping - so I guess that makes it about 26$

The MM boom adapter (yeah mike, it is only listed in the CX parts now, but it fits on the V4 the same way ... they are just not listing it there anymore since they introduced the newer, black booms) is 2.93 at MM ) and yeah, that is 7 with shipping.

But then you get to your LHS, get some 5mm CF for a dollar or so and there are myriads of ways to make fins ...

So essentially half price. Strange that nobody is looking at this with the boom but always with the aluminum upgrades ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:39 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Hehe, and more silly questions...

Is anyone still using the stock 4in1 and radio stuff, or has everyone upgraded to 2.4 stuff (assuming you didn't buy the Lama with the 2.4 stuff)

I've been looking into getting a DX6i since I also want to try out planes and such, and would make a great TX, but that's not for a few months, at least!

Also, how is everybody mounting their batteries on the bottom, people still using the credit card (or plastic) and then velcro?

One more...
What swashplate is the swashplate to have nowadays?
I remember back in the days (I wish..), around the Page 300 (jeez, we're at page 535!? Looks like I've got a TON of reading to do!)
I remember back then, the aluminum swash's were terrible because some locked up, some of them were too tight, and just overall caused more problems then it was worth.

I used my plastic stock swash for the longest time ever, and it finally separated during an outdoor flight.

Last question (or two..)
What are the newer, better servos? I'm still on the original (almost everything on this heli is original! well, except the pounds of tape..) stockers...

I know I asked this awhile back, back when I tried getting back into helis during school, but, are the Extreme (xtreme?) or whatever gears the best thus far?

That's it! for now..
Thanks in advance fellas.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:11 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Well, the only thing I can say to this is the following:

A model4 boom is 20$ plus shipping - so I guess that makes it about 26$

The MM boom adapter (yeah mike, it is only listed in the CX parts now, but it fits on the V4 the same way ... they are just not listing it there anymore since they introduced the newer, black booms) is 2.93 at MM ) and yeah, that is 7 with shipping.

But then you get to your LHS, get some 5mm CF for a dollar or so and there are myriads of ways to make fins ...

So essentially half price. Strange that nobody is looking at this with the boom but always with the aluminum upgrades ...
To me it's not the money of the boom. It's the money you may have to dish out after a crash (or several) using a "stiff" type boom. As I mentioned, the Model 4 boom has a "break away" allowing the boom to swing up in a crash. For $2.93, I see a broken main frame in the future, especially for any hard core outdoor flyer like myself. Might be ok for a "indoor hoverer" though.

Mike.
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:43 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
To me it's not the money of the boom. It's the money you may have to dish out after a crash (or several) using a "stiff" type boom. As I mentioned, the Model 4 boom has a "break away" allowing the boom to swing up in a crash. For $2.93, I see a broken main frame in the future, especially for any hard core outdoor flyer like myself. Might be ok for a "indoor hoverer" though.

Mike.
I see what you mean.
But the "breakaway" part is just a large ORing that holds it from the skids to the boom? allowing it to bend upwards I assume?
Wouldn't that be a blade strike..

I have rubber bands going from the boom mount (well, technically it's on the boom) going under the skids, and it does bend upwards as well during a hard landing..
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:03 AM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,303 Posts
The cheapest aluminum swashes are out of china and are just 4 to 5 bucks each. And yes you may have bladestrike if you hit something hard enough to pull the bottom of the boom out of the pin holes. But you would have had strike at this point anyways. Even with the extended longer shaft setup due to blade flex under impact. Personally I run an Xtreme rear boom mount with a 5mm carbonfibre rod and 1.5mm CF fins on mine. It is incredibly tough and the lightest way to do a rear boom possible but will not suffer a heavy duty crash like the B4 without tearing the upper pin holes out.
Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Jan 08, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
A reply to everybody all at once:
I think if you had a blue aluminum boom, it was a Guru Z boom used on one of their FP heli frames. The booms came as 5MM, 8MM and 12MM. The 8MM is a perfect fit to that bracket you have a link to. That bracket is an Xtreme bracket that I bought and had on my CX2. I came down tail heavy and broke that bracket right where the boom mounts over the round parts( the secret break- away feature). One of those round pieces broke off. The boom I used was an aluminum one from a King 2. I ended up cutting off the pieces where the boom attaches and drilling the bracket to accept one of the Boomtown booms that originally came with the CX2 (5MM). The reason I never used the Boomtown boom kit before is because although it had the kit mounted, there wasn't an O-Ring on it (?). It was on there, but not by much. Getting back to that Xtreme bracket for $2.50, it will mount to the Lama 4 just as it does to the Cx2. I have no idea how vendors stock Xtreme parts. As noted, it works on both heli's, but is only listed under the CX2. The one I bought is white and I painted it black. I thought I saw it shown in black somewhere. Not only did I recently replace my injured battery tray, but I did the credit card mod using a phony AmEx credit card sent trying to get me to sign up. Once you have that mod, you're wide open to what batteries you can use. I, for one, am still using the original battery that came with the heli over 2 1/2 years ago!!!! and a few others. The indestructible skids are the cat's back side. My Xtreme canopy is pretty forgiving too. Add some color coordinating Xtreme blades, AeroNutz motors and you're good to go. The 72Mhz electronics has NO PROBLEMS, unless you decide to fly it, right Mike? Although the Xtreme swash is used by many, some of us don't need to stinkin' metal swash!!!!!!!!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:55 AM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
I haven't logged in here in some time and I can't believe this thread I started is this long. Whoa!
blkdog7 is offline Find More Posts by blkdog7