HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:08 AM
Mod it like you stole it!
Joined Jul 2009
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
What are you using for an extended inner and outer shaft assembly?
Nothing special K/J. Just a supershaft 2.0 with an xtrm head. The outer shaft is stock. Stock blade grips/assembly, upper bearing,swash, gears,frame all stock. Everything else is either a custom or after market up-grade. It's currently tweaked to fly well indoors. But with a blades, servo, and fly-bar adjustment it'll fly pretty well outside also. Not as well as my hbfp v2 but it'll hold it's own. Cheap and infinitely malleable mod-wise. Gotta love the Lama..........................Kato
katoace is offline Find More Posts by katoace
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:15 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoace View Post
Nothing special K/J. Just a supershaft 2.0 with an xtrm head. The outer shaft is stock. Stock blade grips/assembly, upper bearing,swash, gears,frame all stock. Everything else is either a custom or after market up-grade. It's currently tweaked to fly well indoors. But with a blades, servo, and fly-bar adjustment it'll fly pretty well outside also. Not as well as my hbfp v2 but it'll hold it's own. Cheap and infinitely malleable mod-wise. Gotta love the Lama..........................Kato
Sad to say, but the venerable HBFP isn't the heli it used to be as far as its popularity is concerned. With Walkera flooding the market and Esky not keeping up, it's losing its loyal customer base. It's also a beginner heli that leads to bigger and better things. Most of the guys who used to frequent that thread aren't around anymore.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:27 AM
Mod it like you stole it!
Joined Jul 2009
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Sad to say, but the venerable HBFP isn't the heli it used to be as far as its popularity is concerned. With Walkera flooding the market and Esky not keeping up, it's losing its loyal customer base. It's also a beginner heli that leads to bigger and better things. Most of the guys who used to frequent that thread aren't around anymore.
Hmmm, I thought you were asking about the Lama, yet you took the opportunity to trash e-sky and the honeybee. As far as popularity on this forum goes the most recent thread on the hbfpv2 is over 1400 pages long. All that's needed to be said about it has already been said countless times.There are other forums where hbfpv2 has very active threads that are constantly updated. As far as walkera flooding the market, they seem to flood the market with constant updates to previously inferior models. The only heli they have that directly competes with the hbfpv2 is the u-flys. I chose the hb because of durability. Most walkeras ,including the ufly have alot of complicated an unneeded parts that are more likely to fail or get damaged in a crash. The hb is cheap and simple in design. The palstic parts dont transfer impact stress beyond a cheap plastic part that can be replaced for pennies. I've had mine for 4 months and have done everything for lawn darted to chicken danced it countless times...the only thing i've had to replace are a couple of .99cents push-rods. I'ts a beginner heli...Well yea, so is the u-fly. I personally didn't buy it it train myself for "bigger and better" things. Simply bought it cause i wanted a durable,capable flyer for outdoors. Even if i do go CP(i have no current intention to), i'll never stop fly'n the hbfpv2. It's a very capable heli that performs as advertised. Esky doesn't need to "flood the market" with more hbfp clones. The current form is good enough. If it ain't broke don't fix it...Eh this thread is about the ESKY LAMA anyway. How-bout we discuss that here.......................................Kato
katoace is offline Find More Posts by katoace
Last edited by katoace; Oct 17, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:03 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,263 Posts
Kato, Don't take KJ post personal. He has a 72mhz Lama V4 that gliches and can't get to the root of the problem. I have the same model and have had it for almost 3 years now. NO GLITCHES I think this infuriates KJ every time I bring it up

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:09 AM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoace View Post
Hmmm, I thought you were asking about the Lama, yet you took the opportunity to trash e-sky and the honeybee. As far as popularity on this forum goes the most recent thread on the hbfpv2 is over 1400 pages long. All that's needed to be said about it has already been said countless times.There are other forums where hbfpv2 has very active threads that are constantly updated. As far as walkera flooding the market, they seem to flood the market with constant updates to previously inferior models. The only heli they have that directly competes with the hbfpv2 is the u-flys. I chose the hb because of durability. Most walkeras ,including the ufly have alot of complicated an unneeded parts that are more likely to fail or get damaged in a crash. The hb is cheap and simple in design. The palstic parts dont transfer impact stress beyond a cheap plastic part that can be replaced for pennies. I've had mine for 4 months and have done everything for lawn darted to chicken danced it countless times...the only thing i've had to replace are a couple of .99cents push-rods. I'ts a beginner heli...Well yea, so is the u-fly. I personally didn't buy it it train myself for "bigger and better" things. Simply bought it cause i wanted a durable,capable flyer for outdoors. Even if i do go CP(i have no current intention to), i'll never stop fly'n the hbfpv2. It's a very capable heli that performs as advertised. Esky doesn't need to "flood the market" with more hbfp clones. The current form is good enough. If it ain't broke don't fix it...Eh this thread is about the ESKY LAMA anyway. How-bout we discuss that here.......................................Kato
I agree, on a another forum I'm on there are quite a few newbies getting the HBFP V2 route and some that continue to have fun with their V2 even after progressing to a...dare I say it ----Esky CP model. Sure it's a little heavier than the previous version - but I think that's why it can survive mostly intact in a crash. My only gripe is Esky doesn't offer a BNF version or at least a computerized TX w/LCD. Which is why I 've converted my Lama V2 to Spektrum and plan on doing the same to the Honeybee. I like that the idea of flying my toys with 1 TX fro the whole fleet, saves on the clutter and I cna box the unused items away in storage.
GRUMPEE is offline Find More Posts by GRUMPEE
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:33 AM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
As far as programmable radios go, don't force yourself down the Spektrum path thinking there aren't any other options, there most definitely are.

I've been considering selling my DX7 and getting an Airtronics SD-10G. It's a 10 channel radio and is superior to the DX7SE. I can pickup the Airtronics receivers for much less than a comparable Spektrum receiver would cost me. Airtronics 8 channel receiver is $85. Spektrum AR8000 is $120.

Don't tie yourself down to expensive receivers because everyone else that you know is buying them.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Oct 17, 2010, 01:13 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
As far as programmable radios go, don't force yourself down the Spektrum path thinking there aren't any other options, there most definitely are.

I've been considering selling my DX7 and getting an Airtronics SD-10G. It's a 10 channel radio and is superior to the DX7SE. I can pickup the Airtronics receivers for much less than a comparable Spektrum receiver would cost me. Airtronics 8 channel receiver is $85. Spektrum AR8000 is $120.

Don't tie yourself down to expensive receivers because everyone else that you know is buying them.
I went Spektrum DX6i for something that felt like a "real" TX vs the stock TX for the S300 MCX and the MSR. Next I converted the Lama V3. But I also I picked up 2 BNF mico planes. So it currently makes sense for me to go Spektrum.

I've also been reading about Hobby Kings Orange "Spektrum" compatible RX's. so that would be low cost option

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...&ParentCat=190

Problem is these are never in stock

If I go ebyond parkflyer's or a CP in kit fomr, I will investigate other radio systems
Last edited by GRUMPEE; Oct 17, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 01:20 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
You still wind up with a Spektrum system that doesn't channel hop and costs an arm and a leg for the transmitter even if you go with clone receivers.

Airtronics SD-10G - $435
Airtronics RDS8000 - $220
Spektrum DX8 - $420

So you can get a 10 channel radio for $15 more, and an 8 channel for $200 less.

Edit:

Would also like to mention these aren't junk Chinese radios. Airtronics is brand name, high end radio equipment.
Last edited by Barak1001; Oct 17, 2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Added in Airtronics 8 channel for comparison.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 01:31 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2009
1,197 Posts
Quote:
You still wind up with a Spektrum system that doesn't channel hop and costs an arm and a leg for the transmitter even if you go with clone receivers.

Airtronics SD-10G - $435
Airtronics RDS8000 - $220
Spektrum DX8 - $420

So you can get a 10 channel radio for $15 more, and an 8 channel for $200 less.

Edit:

Would also like to mention these aren't junk Chinese radios. Airtronics is brand name, high end radio equipment.
Ok I'm not going to get into an extended discussion on this- you go your way I'll go mine

The Spektrum seems to work for me what I don't know or notice I won't miss
Old Oct 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
You're still thinking in 4 channel mode. I'm thinking in, "I need 7 channels in order to hook up this transmitter controlled light kit and I really wish I'd bought a different type of radio since a 7 channel receiver is going to cost me an arm and a leg" mode.

I'm trying to give people advice for down the road, not necessarily just you. If you buy a 10 channel radio starting out, you may never use all 10 channels, but at least you don't have to sell whatever $400 radio you bought initially and buy a new one in order to get those 10 channels.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
243 Posts

So I finally built this guy up. Telebee gyro, specktrum AR61000, Turnigy 6A ESC, Turnigy V-tail mixer. I am using a DX7 and had to knock down the gyro setting to 30 (using the gear channel travel adjuster). I am curious what settings people use for that gyro using a DX7.
DrRoc is offline Find More Posts by DrRoc
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
The reason your gain setting is so low is that you don't have a tail on. The mass of the tail boom helps dampen movement and makes it easier for the gyro to do its job.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
243 Posts
Quote:
The reason your gain setting is so low is that you don't have a tail on. The mass of the tail boom helps dampen movement and makes it easier for the gyro to do its job.
I am using the stock fuselage.

Also, if I set the gain to 40 or higher, then even at zero throttle one of the rotors spools up. I did throttle range setting by doing the following.
1. switch on TX and set throttle to max
2. disconnect one ESC from the v-tail mixer
3. connect the battery and wait for the beeps from the ESC, meaning that it detected the high setting. Then I move the throttle to the lowest setting and wait for the acknowledgment beeps.
4. repeat the procedure for the other ESC
DrRoc is offline Find More Posts by DrRoc
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:10 AM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
One of the rotors is pretty much always going to turn if it's in heading hold mode.

The way to cure that is to switch to rate mode when on the ground.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:58 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Kato, Don't take KJ post personal. He has a 72mhz Lama V4 that gliches and can't get to the root of the problem. I have the same model and have had it for almost 3 years now. NO GLITCHES I think this infuriates KJ every time I bring it up

Mike.
Unfortunately, Mike, my HBFP exhibits the same kind of faults. In both cases, I've had to replace the transmitters and it only got mildly better. Gee, maybe there IS a connection there.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack