HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:36 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
But here is the good part. I bought the Dynam Vortex II for a guy who is handicapped and in a wheel chair. He has limited dexterity but is able to run an RC car really well. We are hoping that this Heli will help improve him some. He already loves the car and cannot wait for the Heli.

The Xtreme blades did NOT have the same wobble effect you discribed. They just made the heli much more stable and slower to respond .... Which for him will be perfect coupled with the indistructible blade feature.

We are ordering Extreme Heat sinks to help disperse some of the motor heat. flight time is not big deal .... just buy more batteries.

So in this One case, the Xtreme blades are a win / win.

Mike
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2007, 04:36 PM
NL
Joined Sep 2007
40 Posts
My lama v4 is a happy reciever of damaged parts of my ep100 . And i never liked the canopy of the v4.
Battery holder and landinggear were made of pvc
Wormhole is offline Find More Posts by Wormhole
Last edited by Wormhole; Dec 31, 2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 04:41 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Holy Crap Sweet,

How does it fly?
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Old Dec 31, 2007, 05:22 PM
NL
Joined Sep 2007
40 Posts
Well totaly different... it's now very fast, climbs as a rocket and turns like crazy.. it's flies as a cp heli and maybe even better !!!
Wormhole is offline Find More Posts by Wormhole
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:17 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Does the 4n1 on these have a low power shut off to save the battery on these?
I just ran it all the way down almost but then stopped before it cut off because i was afraid I might ruin the battery. Hopefully i didn't! It got really low where the motors were barely turning.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:24 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn
I just ran it all the way down almost but then stopped before it cut off because i was afraid I might ruin the battery. Hopefully i didn't! It got really low where the motors were barely turning.
Why would you do this? If the thing can no longer hover, you're not getting any benefit from it and you ARE destroying the battery. The LVC for this heli should be the fact that it will not hover any longer or requires near full to hover; I always use a timer and stop flying after 7 or 8 minutes _max_.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:40 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliams2
Why would you do this? If the thing can no longer hover, you're not getting any benefit from it and you ARE destroying the battery. The LVC for this heli should be the fact that it will not hover any longer or requires near full to hover; I always use a timer and stop flying after 7 or 8 minutes _max_.
Because I was curious if it had a LVC and then since it didn't cut off i quit.
But I just checked the battery voltage and it's at 6 volts so I think I am ok.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:01 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Wormhole: It looks like your stabilizer is bent!
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
23 Posts
Parts are in.

Got my stock parts from SlickZero today along with my Mystery bat from Deal extreme. Bat is a great fit without any mod. Just a tiny bit smaller.
Great chep bat. The rest of the parts are just in case parts. Screws, grips, swash, skids, bat tray, frame, fly bar etc.

Still loving those Helimax blades.

4 days shipping from Slick Zero (Fla to GA)
8 days shipping from DealExtreme (China to GA)

Happy with both stores.
SlckTrck is offline Find More Posts by SlckTrck
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:12 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Because I was curious if it had a LVC and then since it didn't cut off i quit.
But I just checked the battery voltage and it's at 6 volts so I think I am ok.
You may never notice, but a resting voltage of 3v per cell indicates that under-load voltage was well under 3, which is not optimal for a lipo. These are inexpensive bats, though, so not worries, but you gosta be careful with pulling too much from these bats!
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:28 PM
Hooked on Heli's
Pendleton, Oregon, USA
Joined Nov 2007
89 Posts
I like the Extreme blades, the heli is alittle slower, but more stable. I need to put a longer control arm on it for flying out side tho. They take a pretty hard hit, but I have broke some, they break at the blade mount.

I also have a stock V4 as a spare, it's faster, but less stable. It's alot harder to fly indoors than my moded V4. They both hover hands-off.

I'm going to order a blade balancer, I think it's a must have. Changing blades has caused a bad vibration and tracking problems on mine and my son's helis.
I put the extreme V3 skids on my V4, they'll take a pretty hard hit. I really like the looks of them, but think they've added alot of weight. Probably going back to the Boomtown skids. By the way, I broke the side boards on the V4 extreme skids twice during not that hard of a crash.
RickT4 is offline Find More Posts by RickT4
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Heli Addict
SoCal, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2007
291 Posts
Cheap blade balancer. Somebody elses idea on these forums, can't remember who. I have the two film canisters screwed to the board. Makes a good place to put extra screws.
[IMG][/IMG]
milsurp53 is offline Find More Posts by milsurp53
Old Jan 01, 2008, 12:05 AM
Joined Nov 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Sideburn. Dont worry about the batt but dont run it down like that anymore. As suggested, when the heli no longer hovers just set her down and recharge that batt.

Here's what I did when I first got my V4. I ran the batt all the way down until even the servos would not function. I believe the instruction manual even says to do this but only on the INITIAL use of the battery. Well stupid me ran the batt all the way down after every flight. I did this about 10 times before I found out you should never run a Lipo down that far.

Fortunately that battery still works just fine and I've probably got about 40 cycles on it. If I remember correctly its ok to completely run down a NiCd or NiMH battery but not a Lipo.
rotorwing54 is offline Find More Posts by rotorwing54
Old Jan 01, 2008, 12:16 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwing54
Sideburn. Dont worry about the batt but dont run it down like that anymore. As suggested, when the heli no longer hovers just set her down and recharge that batt.

Here's what I did when I first got my V4. I ran the batt all the way down until even the servos would not function. I believe the instruction manual even says to do this but only on the INITIAL use of the battery. Well stupid me ran the batt all the way down after every flight. I did this about 10 times before I found out you should never run a Lipo down that far.

Fortunately that battery still works just fine and I've probably got about 40 cycles on it. If I remember correctly its ok to completely run down a NiCd or NiMH battery but not a Lipo.
Good to know.. Yeah lipos don't have that "memory" issue like nicd's do.

All good now. the only thing left that's racking my brain is how to get these "stock" type blades to fly forward without drifting left and having to move the stick up and to the right. I know its got to be the blades since the extremes did not have the problem but all is tracking fine so I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it. I know a lot of other people have this same problem.. It would be nice to nail down what the cause is.

Another thing I was wondering is if anyone has tried putting a small "rubber duckie" type antenna on the tx instead of the standard one.. being that this is an indoor heli, seems like that giant antenna is overkill. I don't even need to extend mine. But I kindof remember hearing once that its bad not to extend it because it can burn out the radio. But maybe that was for CB radio or something back in the 80s.. Can't remember where I heard it.
Old Jan 01, 2008, 06:11 AM
Joined Dec 2007
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
[/SIZE]

At full throttle I got 1975 RPM. The battery I would estimate was at 80% charge and I had Harden blades installed.

Just before removing blades I noted the throttle positon at hover (about 60%). At that same throttle position I measured just over 1300 RPM. So hover is about 1300 RPM.
I did my own measurement, used "tools":
- fast digital camera (canon 350d with a fast lens)
- girlfriend who took a picture at 1/1000s
- I was hovering 10cm about ground, using the stock blades

then in a photo editor I measured the angle of the flybar's movement(see attached image), which was about 9-10 degrees, the shutter speed was 1/1000s +-*/ and RPMs was ~ 1500-1666

Of course this is not very accurate +-10%, i guess, but at least it's free
once I get the x-blades, I will do the same ...

update: I did the same at full throttle: 1/1600 and ~7 degree which gives 1866 RPM
s.illes79 is offline Find More Posts by s.illes79
Last edited by s.illes79; Jan 01, 2008 at 06:45 AM.