SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hey look at m... OH CRAP!
STL, Missouri
Joined May 2007
133 Posts
Hey guys, i wanted to jump in here quik as I read something abotu out of stock on lama parts. The only thing having trouble getting is the aluminum blade grips cause the manufacturer cant seem to keep up. As for the other stuff either its out for a day or so, or I just havent made it to update. Like the blades, i order in 100 sets a week and I am lucky to make it till the next order arrives. All the other stuff I have full stock but sometimes I miss updating the site as same things just get accidently skipped when checking things in. SInce last weekend though, all excpet the blade grips I pretty much have everything heavily stock with orders coming in every week to try to keep from getting behind.
kr_1981 is offline Find More Posts by kr_1981
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2007, 03:59 PM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr_1981
Hey guys, i wanted to jump in here quik as I read something abotu out of stock on lama parts. The only thing having trouble getting is the aluminum blade grips cause the manufacturer cant seem to keep up. As for the other stuff either its out for a day or so, or I just havent made it to update. Like the blades, i order in 100 sets a week and I am lucky to make it till the next order arrives. All the other stuff I have full stock but sometimes I miss updating the site as same things just get accidently skipped when checking things in. SInce last weekend though, all excpet the blade grips I pretty much have everything heavily stock with orders coming in every week to try to keep from getting behind.
I just ordered the Lama V3 V4 Xtreme CNC Aluminum Upper Rotor Head from you. I hope you're able to ship it fast!

Thanks,

John
blkdog7 is offline Find More Posts by blkdog7
Old Aug 26, 2007, 05:04 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
I am determined to turn this V4 into a SERIOUS flying machine. In the past week I ordered a CX 2 carbon boom, new servo arms (gonna add longer arms with more holes, need more action!), the Xtreme inner shaft for better blade separation to reduce blade strike.) I'll keep everyone updated as I install the parts. I haven't received any yet, but will post as soon as I get it flying. Can't wait!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 09:49 AM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranavalona
Bought this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=009

a few days back. Delivery to UK was quick and the quality seems good. What follows is a description of my conversion for use on the Lama 4.

Also shown in the photo's are the boomtown skids which came with the kit. These fit great after slicing off just 2mm from the top of each front leg. When assembled they point slightly inwards at the front, but not enough to bother me. They flex nicely on a heavy landing, and have survived one or two nasty crashes.
Fantastic work. How does it fly?? That looks like the boom I ordered off of Ebay (still waiting for it). I didn't think it would be that involved!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:12 AM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
888 Posts
Fantastic work yourself, John, in looking after this thread.

How does it fly? 'Twould be nice to say it's been an amazing transformation!!!! In fact, pretty much same old same old, really.

Still, it looks cute.

The tail is now, I think, lighter than the original, and it needs the swash adjusting. The tendency to forward flight is more than can be removed just on the tx trim.

Sorry if I made it sound involved. It really isn't. No more than an hours work, excluding the several hours for the glue to cure. (With judicious use of a heat gun.)
ranavalona is online now Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:13 AM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranavalona
Fantastic work yourself, John, in looking after this thread.

How does it fly? 'Twould be nice to say it's been an amazing transformation!!!! In fact, pretty much same old same old, really.

Still, it looks cute.

The tail is now, I think, lighter than the original, and it needs the swash adjusting. The tendency to forward flight is more than can be removed just on the tx trim.

Sorry if I made it sound involved. It really isn't. No more than an hours work, excluding the several hours for the glue to cure. (With judicious use of a heat gun.)

Have you taken it outside? I guess the thinner tail is supposed to help the most outdoors.

Thanks again for posting those images. It gives all of us V4 owners hopes that you can actually install a cool boom on our helis!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:38 AM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
888 Posts
Nope - don't do outside.

(And after my "holier than thou" input on this thread;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733710

I wouldn't admit to it anyway!)
Old Aug 27, 2007, 07:13 PM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
more boom fun

PHEW! I am glad that someone has had a go with it.

Having initiated the CX2 boom idea, I was getting little butterflies that I had missed something somewhere, and with everyone putting in CX2 boom orders, I was starting to have little bits of self-doubt... Judging by ranavalona's work though, we appear to be a determined bunch, and modding the CX2 boom to fit should be a piece of cake!

I haven't got mine yet, despite ordering it on the 17th August! This is not the fault of KR's Hobbies, they sent it very quickly, but Australia Post always has issues processing international packages.

I will be back (when it all finally arrives!)

blkdog7, will the longer servo arms fit inside the front shell? Nothing that can't be modded to work, I guess
lama lama duck is offline Find More Posts by lama lama duck
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:37 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lama lama duck

blkdog7, will the longer servo arms fit inside the front shell? Nothing that can't be modded to work, I guess
There is no way they'll fit without cutting up the body. No problem, I ordered an extra canopy just in case I ruin this one.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 02:13 AM View Post
edith228
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). It is temporarily hidden while edith228 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:32 AM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
booms

Sorry to steal your pic ranavalona, but it is easy to see the similarity in the width of the Lama v4 upper canopy hole and CX2 boom's mount.

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...boom%20019.jpg

In theory, the design of the Xtreme CX2 mount should negate the need for the metal adapter that ranavalona made up.

http://ekoster.customer.netspace.net...treme_boom.jpg

Also, if the lower Xtreme boom mount can be used, the flexing of the upper canopy mount will be reduced hopefully.

Still speculating though, damn Australia Post!!!
lama lama duck is offline Find More Posts by lama lama duck
Last edited by lama lama duck; Aug 28, 2007 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Edit: Remove [img] tags, no need to image-spam forum :D
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:13 AM
Keswick, VA
Joined Aug 2007
16 Posts
Lama 4 Trim Help

Hey guys,

I have been flying my new lama 4 for about a week and have broken almost all my spair blades that came with the kit (new extreme blades are in the mail) and need help with trimming the helli.

So if the tail turns left then I want to move the trim to the right?
Also if the helli moves backwards and I want it to make it more neautral I want to move the trim forward right?

I am not 100% sure if I am doing this right. The instructions didn't have anything about how to trim it out.

Any help would be great!
cnorvelle is offline Find More Posts by cnorvelle
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:17 AM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
If the tail turns left you want to move the slider trim on the TX to the left (the nose is moving right). And, yes, if the heli moves backwards you move the slider trim on the tx forward.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lama lama duck
Sorry to steal your pic ranavalona, but it is easy to see the similarity in the width of the Lama v4 upper canopy hole and CX2 boom's mount.

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...boom%20019.jpg

In theory, the design of the Xtreme CX2 mount should negate the need for the metal adapter that ranavalona made up.

http://ekoster.customer.netspace.net...treme_boom.jpg

Also, if the lower Xtreme boom mount can be used, the flexing of the upper canopy mount will be reduced hopefully.

Still speculating though, damn Australia Post!!!
Actually, lama duck, that comment highlights the only potential problem that I can see with the Boomtown boom - the fact that the whole thing depends on the strength of that one mounting post. Not only does it have to resist the impact of a "boom first" crash, but it is constantly bent backwards by the pressure of the "O" ring.

In an attempt tp relieve some of this stress, I've fitted a couple of thin piano wire (music wire) links between the body fixing rod and the very handy holes on top of the servo's. as shown below.

I opted for the Boomtown item mainly because it included the skids - which are excellent. I may have a go at the Xtreme item soon. It might be possible to adapt it in a way that doesn't compromise the integrity of the frame.

I should add that I'm in no way criticising the Boomtown boom.My adaptation is asking it to do something it was not designed or intended to, and Jamie has always insisted that it will not fit the V4 frame.