HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:02 AM
Hinterlands of NC
Joined Nov 2008
23 Posts
Double DANG! Live and learn!!! I had no idea they could be banked for future use and actually eventually total up to enough to pay for a plane!! I'm going to have to be a bit more careful in the future. I've probably deleted a plane or two.
If they are doing it are any of the other HK vendors competing by sending out gift cert's also?
I've had no problems with their page either and I am running the new AVG Linkscanner. They have a green checkmark beside their page in a Google search which means that they are clean. I have seen a few warnings generated by using links in emails for like Hobby People that the link could be a invalid Phishing attempt. I just took the links and scanned them and they where just false positives generated by the software just not knowing if it was Ok since it was embedded in the HTML email flyer.
I'm going to set up a mail rule that will put all the MM emails into their own folder so they don't get mixed in with great masses that get by my spam filter. I tend to do quick scans of sender and title and select a range of 20 or 30 and hit delete! I have one email address that I don't want to retire and it's been in use for 16 years and I think it must be in every spam database on the planet!
i checked out that plane that was mentioned. Nice, small would fit my area but I'm also looking at some high powered FPV equipment (500mwTX) and I have a 200x400 foot front field/yard that I need something that can turn tight and slow on take off and landing approaches. The Champ would work to learn, but I don't think it could carry much. Price is really right!! Just got FLYRC OCT2010 issue that has the Multiplex FunCub review. With the flaps it has and the prop and power & wing size it looks like it would float on thermals and come in to my field and almost stand on end to land. Yes, I'm getting off topic a bit with that too, but a plane that can almost "hover" and isn't rated as a 3D caught my attention, I'm just getting to the point I'm comfortable with my coaxial's and would like to move into something like the Champ to learn but big enough like the FunCub to do FVP later so I'm in the go back and forth stage now! Feel like I'm watching a tennis match. Going to need a neck brace!
I've also thought about sticking with heli's and getting a EagleEye, but you can't really compare them since the whole platform and experience are so different.

***Update 8.19.10 Curious thing just happened. received a HobbyPeople email flyer on 17th, just clicked on it to look at their "August Saving Event" where they had a 11.1v 2200mah Lipo for $14.99 and got the email warning about possible Phishing redirect. I landed on a domain name Place holder page that ID'ed my city and had generic Hobby links. The redirect used the IP 65dot104dot98dot102 which with a trace route did not resolve nor did web(dot)hobbypeople(dot)net
Just curious enough I wanted to mention it since I have learned the best way to approach internet security is that the other guy knows more than I do! Could just be that they have gone down, or out, or I caught it right in the middle of their page being hijacked. (Unlikely) Who really knows!?
merlynwylld is offline Find More Posts by merlynwylld
Last edited by merlynwylld; Aug 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: New Info on HobbyPeople Emails
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 01:24 PM
Australia, VIC, Altona North
Joined Jul 2010
59 Posts
i bought me one

howdy all i bought myself a Lama V4. and ordered some stuff to go with it, this is my first decent heli so it should be fun teaching myself how to fly this thing. the upgrades i ordered are the following and will arrive around the same time as my Heli

ESKY LAMA V4 XTREME SKIDS TAIL CANOPY

ESKY LAMA V4 XTREME ROTOR BLADES BLUE

180Size Coaxial Heli Brushless Conversion Combo Lama V4
Hayden.J.W is offline Find More Posts by Hayden.J.W
Old Aug 16, 2010, 02:25 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Congrats Hayden,

Enjoy your new heli!
This is the place to ask questions if you need help.
Great bunch of guys here.

Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:32 PM
Fix, Fix, Fly, Fix, Fix, Fly
Colorado
Joined Apr 2009
635 Posts
Nice purchase Hayden! We all enjoy the V4 alot! I think you will find that you like the extreme tail and canopy. There is some debate about the skids, they are much heavier than stock and if you have a hard landing they don't absorb anything (actually ended up breaking the mount on my frame once!).

This is a great heli because of all the upgrade options (ensures you will never get bored!!) When you get ready to explore the other upgrade options let us know, most of these guys know way more than I do and we are all happy to help fuel someone else's addiction!

Have fun and keep us posted!

Ethan
mountainsax is offline Find More Posts by mountainsax
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:39 PM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I don't want to get too far off the topic, but tell us about the plane. Can it be bound to one of your existing transmitters or did you have to get a complete set up? Is it small enough for the average yard or does it take more room?
Most of us got two gift certificates. Can they be combined on one item or are they two certificates that have to be used separately?
Mate its the hobbyzone CHAMP RTF. It doesn't come in a BNF. It comes with a single cell charger with a spot for a wall charger (not like the MCX one). The TX is actually labeled parkzone and has a switch for mode 1 or mode 2. Pretty sure it can be bound to any of the small micro DSM2 aircraft. I have heard that the range is not so good.

I actually used my DX6i for it. I bound it to an old plane model that was in there and on first flight i was having major problems. I found that the settings where all screwed up. Once i fixed up the controls within the DX6i it was so easy to fly.

THIS IS SO MUCH FUN. It handles the wind really well. Its only 3ch so you cant go wrong. I researched for quite a while before i got it. They say its the easiest of the micro planes to fly. Its also very similar to the j3 cub but only in looks. The CHAMP is so much better. It has a better motor, it has adjustable holes for further movement on the rudder and flaps, its bigger all around so it handles wind alot better.

If you have realflight then you can try it out for yourself like it did:

hobbyzone CHAMP on realflight (0 min 53 sec)

anyways i hope that helps you KJ (sorry about my previous rant about you, was in a bad state at the time)
stalyoni is offline Find More Posts by stalyoni
Old Aug 17, 2010, 04:47 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
Mate its the hobbyzone CHAMP RTF. It doesn't come in a BNF. It comes with a single cell charger with a spot for a wall charger (not like the MCX one). The TX is actually labeled parkzone and has a switch for mode 1 or mode 2. Pretty sure it can be bound to any of the small micro DSM2 aircraft. I have heard that the range is not so good.

I actually used my DX6i for it. I bound it to an old plane model that was in there and on first flight i was having major problems. I found that the settings where all screwed up. Once i fixed up the controls within the DX6i it was so easy to fly.

THIS IS SO MUCH FUN. It handles the wind really well. Its only 3ch so you cant go wrong. I researched for quite a while before i got it. They say its the easiest of the micro planes to fly. Its also very similar to the j3 cub but only in looks. The CHAMP is so much better. It has a better motor, it has adjustable holes for further movement on the rudder and flaps, its bigger all around so it handles wind alot better.

If you have realflight then you can try it out for yourself like it did:
anyways i hope that helps you KJ (sorry about my previous rant about you, was in a bad state at the time)
Thanks for the info. Planes have always interested me, although not as much as heli's. I'd prefer to stay in my yard and not have to go anywhere to fly. I don't know if that will be possible with a plane.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:24 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
KJ it would have to be a fairly big yard mate. The CHAMP needs a bit of room to stretch her legs.

BTW still waiting on my 7 lipos to arrive from HK. There taking so long this time. Damm there cheap but it just take so freaking long. I also have some camera glasses on the way so i will be able to take more videos soon.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:40 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalyoni View Post
KJ it would have to be a fairly big yard mate. The CHAMP needs a bit of room to stretch her legs.

BTW still waiting on my 7 lipos to arrive from HK. There taking so long this time. Damm there cheap but it just take so freaking long. I also have some camera glasses on the way so i will be able to take more videos soon.
There are times when I wish I had more room for my heli's in my yard, but with the wind and breeze we have, by the time they die down, it's dusk and I don't want to be traveling all over the place to fly.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:46 AM
high flyer
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
3,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
There are times when I wish I had more room for my heli's in my yard, but with the wind and breeze we have, by the time they die down, it's dusk and I don't want to be traveling all over the place to fly.
im lucky i have a park right accross the street. I also have a car park down stairs that is fairly sheltered where i can fly my micro helis.

I too the champ out again this morning and im having so much fun with it. Im looking at getting the new UM t-28d micro plane when it comes out soon.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:22 AM
Joined May 2008
14 Posts
hi, is there any way to use a futaba t7c 2.4GHz with this RC heli? I searched a lot with no luck. Thanks.
k0t3 is offline Find More Posts by k0t3
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:18 PM
Joined Jul 2010
59 Posts
i`ve been having a ball with my lama until this
i contacted the people i bought it off and they said they will send me out a new one, i dont know why it happened it just did. now i have to wait for a new 4 in1 before i can fly,and my brushless kit arrived today minus the pinions and the stock ones are a fraction to loose so i have to wait for pinions to
Old Aug 23, 2010, 09:33 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,975 Posts
honestly, I have a HUGE problem to believe that the "THING" in your picture is an original ESKY part ... what "original" is that supposed to be again ?
I have never seen a "brick" like this before !!
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:07 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden.J.W View Post
i contacted the people i bought it off and they said they will send me out a new one, i dont know why it happened it just did. now i have to wait for a new 4 in1 before i can fly,and my brushless kit arrived today minus the pinions and the stock ones are a fraction to loose so i have to wait for pinions to
As Sven has already pointed out...I have never seen an E-Sky 4in1 like that either. Was this suppose to go with your brushless kit...that you just got today? Could that be the reason for the burn out?

BTW, I did see your purchase and was a bit leary of the BL conversion kit; as I was with your CNC upgrades. A brushless conversion is more complicated than many expect.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:22 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden.J.W View Post
The part number on this refers to the E-Sky Lama V3 "as a whole."

If you mentioned about going brushless before you bought, I could have steared you to a member who does brushless conversions.
In case you need his expertise, his user name is bz1mcr here on RCG or you can reach him here:
http://www.strongrcmotors.com/

These brushless conversions are not cut and dried. If they were...I'd have one

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:16 AM
Joined Jul 2010
59 Posts
firstly to erdnuckel2 where in my post did i say it was original part/ by the way it is the original 4 in 1 that came with my kit, the brushless kit was not installed when this happened. i am confident in getting the brushless set up to work just fine, but i wont be able to set it up until this 4 in 1 controller arrives..
in the manual it says the 4 in 1 is part number 025 and is the 2.4GHz version
i added box pictures and a couple of pics of the brushless kit, i don't work for E-SKY so i don't know if ive been sold a cheap copy the box looks legit enough to me

i received a confirmation email saying my 4in1 will be sent in 2 days as they have had to place an order with there supplier for one
Last edited by Hayden.J.W; Aug 24, 2010 at 01:41 AM.