SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2008, 05:33 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Up/down tail vibration

Had this up/down tail vibration on my Comanche and the cause was the rear fuselage was cracked at the bottom of the tail and I hadn't noticed. Check your fuse if you're using the full Lama one, or your boom attachment points if you have a boom.

Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001
The only time I've experienced TBE that I know of was when I had a bent flybar.

It's really hard for me to tell when I have TBE or not since I only fly outside, and it's windy in my little town.

The one thing I do get and can't get rid of is constant tail shake. Not side to side, up and down constant vibration. I'm thinking my outer shaft is bent, but I've only had it in for 2 days, so I think I'll fly keep flying the chopper outside till the wind makes it hit enough trees that I can make a sizable order of parts at one time.
psyentific is offline Find More Posts by psyentific
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2008, 09:15 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp
Mike, You could always call Larry to verify, but yes it appears that the T22 is similar to the Loctite 222 (purple) and the PT42 is comparable to Loctite 242 (blue).

I picked mine up from a local Harley shop.
Any auto parts store will carry thread lock of one brand or another. Just ask for blue thread lock.
Barak1001

Great! Thanks guys. Both of these places a very close by.
Mike
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 28, 2008, 03:31 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001
The only time I've experienced TBE that I know of was when I had a bent flybar.

It's really hard for me to tell when I have TBE or not since I only fly outside, and it's windy in my little town.

The one thing I do get and can't get rid of is constant tail shake. Not side to side, up and down constant vibration. I'm thinking my outer shaft is bent, but I've only had it in for 2 days, so I think I'll fly keep flying the chopper outside till the wind makes it hit enough trees that I can make a sizable order of parts at one time.
THAT's the spirit!!
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Jun 28, 2008, 03:37 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mike, Yes, use Loctite on all metal parts. The flybar weights, the cap on the inner shaft as well as the screw that holds the head to the shaft, the aluminum center hub if you have one ... You get the picture. It helps prevent the screws from vibrating loose.

Do not use Loctite on plastic, it can damage it unless you use the formula made specifically for that purpose.
Do you know of such a product? I'd like to learn more about Loctite for plastic.

Thanks!

Zoandar
Old Jun 28, 2008, 03:47 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandar
Do you know of such a product? I'd like to learn more about Loctite for plastic.

Thanks!

Zoandar
Depends on what type of plastic. Thin to medium CA works pretty well for most screw to plastic locking. RTV silicone works better and doesn't atack the surface of the plastic like CAs do.

I'm not aware of a Loctite product for plastic as the product line is made to set in anaerobic conditions in the presence of metallic ions (between metal to metal threads in the abscence of O).

Regards
rbinc is offline Find More Posts by rbinc
Old Jun 28, 2008, 03:51 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,221 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!

Zoandar
Zoandar, Did a quick google (loctite for plastic) and came up with this
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...ID=17&SubID=40

I also came up with many more hits so, it must be pretty common.
Mike.

This might be the ticket: http://mro2go.com/Merchant2/merchant..._Code=51242540
Loctite 425
Last edited by Chap1012; Jun 28, 2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:05 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1
I just adjusted the fly linkage per Mike's advise and have the top blade tracking almost perfect. TBE persists. Flies fine in the initial hover but starts to veer in weird directions while flying out of the hover and spins in usual tbe circles after stick is released and hover begins again.
When you say "unusual", does the TBE always spin in the same direction, while the nose holds the same heading? Which way is the TBE going?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:24 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinc
Depends on what type of plastic. Thin to medium CA works pretty well for most screw to plastic locking. RTV silicone works better and doesn't atack the surface of the plastic like CAs do.

I'm not aware of a Loctite product for plastic as the product line is made to set in anaerobic conditions in the presence of metallic ions (between metal to metal threads in the abscence of O).

Regards
I've read somewhere on this thread about using clear silicone. But what is the "CA."?
Yeah, the old man again
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:38 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012
I've read somewhere on this thread about using clear silicone. But what is the "CA."?
Yeah, the old man again
No problem.

CA = CyanoAcrylate. Also known as "superglue". Common adhesive used in this hobby for many materials. Between steel screws and plastic it works well and is removable but it does chemically alter the surface of the plastic. Better for "one-time" assemblies that you don't intend to disassemble.

RTV silicone really is better for anything that needs to be serviced, does not alter the surface of plastic and is easily removed with friction or a razor.

Regards
Old Jun 28, 2008, 05:11 PM
Portland, OR USA
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!

Zoandar
Quote:

Regards
As Mike pointed out, Loctite 425 threadlocker is just such a product.
http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg...UID=0000000I29
From the manufacturers webpage...
Quote:
Loctite® 425™ Low viscosity, threadlocking, one part, room temperature cure, instant adhesive designed for locking plastic to plastic and plastic to metal fasteners.....
For Plastic Parts
Thread Sealing & Threadlocking > Threadlocking > Removable Medium Strength
Adhesives > Threadlocking > For Plastic Parts
Earl
earletp is offline Find More Posts by earletp
Old Jun 28, 2008, 05:24 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
As Mike pointed out, Loctite 425 threadlocker is just such a product.
http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg...UID=0000000I29
From the manufacturers webpage...

Earl

Maybe I should have posted in more detail. The discussion was around anaerobic Loctite threadlockers such as "Blue", "Red" and "Green".

The "Loctite" BRAND includes the above, as well as MANY adhesives, epoxies and sealants. Yes, 425 is intended for a plastic to steel application, but as you can see from the link you provided, the primary ingredient is cyanoacrylate. Which was the first option I mentioned as a solution.

Yes, there is a "Loctite" product that works, but it is the same thing as a $1.99 vial of superglue from the drugstore.

Regards
Old Jun 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
Portland, OR USA
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Quote:
Maybe I should have posted in more detail. The discussion was around anaerobic Loctite threadlockers such as "Blue", "Red" and "Green".

Regards
Or not have constrained your assumptions so tightly.
The fact only you mentioned green shows the direction of your mindset.

My take is we were discussing Loctite threadlockers, not specifically anaerobic threadlockers, especially since plastic was the was the object of the inquiry and I had already mentioned that you shouldn't use purple or blue on plastic.

Earl
Old Jun 28, 2008, 06:18 PM
Joined Mar 2008
11,221 Posts
Thanks for the answer on "CA." Did a search on this thread and came up with a bunch of "CA's" I jumped over to rcuniverse and there is a cool search tool and found out it is glue. I just glued the two pieces of CD plastic to my battery holder the other day using elmers Stix-All. A lot of adhesives I was looking at stated "adheres to most plastics" and some stated to just three types of plastic. Stix-All states "adheres to plastic, glass, metals, wood." Also it is "solvent free-no VOCs." Sounded good to me. The real test of course will be after a crash to see how it holds up. Pretty sure I paid $5.49 (something in that area).
Mike
Old Jun 28, 2008, 06:42 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Or not have constrained your assumptions so tightly.
The fact only you mentioned green shows the direction of your mindset.

My take is we were discussing Loctite threadlockers, not specifically anaerobic threadlockers, especially since plastic was the was the object of the inquiry and I had already mentioned that you shouldn't use purple or blue on plastic.

Earl
Excuse me?

Anaerobic threadlockers were the only thing being discussed. And I mentioned red, blue and green. Not just green (which I never even need). I've applied many gallons of both red and blue in various applications over the past 25 years.

Whatever your take is, Loctite, as a BRAND, has probably a hundred different glues, adhesives, sealants AND anaerobic threadlockers. So does Permatex and a bunch of other brands. I've already posted that Loctite 425 will work fine, just as any CA glue will. If you want to suggest that posters need to track down 425 somewhere to lock a screw in plastic, when any vial of superglue from any store will do the same thing, I would posit that your assumptions are more tightly constrained than mine.

Regards
Old Jun 28, 2008, 06:49 PM
Portland, OR USA
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Why is it so hard for you to just say "Thanks, I didn't realize Loctite had a product they called a threadlocker for plastics", instead of going into this diatribe to cover your mistake?

No one said CA wouldn't work, again the question was "Do you know of such a product? I'd like to learn more about Loctite for plastic."