Old Jun 25, 2008, 03:39 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argieX
Hi everybody.

This is my first post on this board, and I thought I would introduce myself.
I live in Denmark and have just discovered to joy of rc helicopter, but have some questions for the veterans around here.

I need some more dynamic control of my v4 for flying outside, and want to change the servo horns.

Does anyboby know if I can use the horns from any of the servos DealExtreme sells ?
It is so cheap for a full servo, and shipping is free from them.

Or does anybody know where I can get these servo horns, and not pay a ton in shipping.

This is my second day with the v4 (my first real helicopter), and I have smashed the landing skit, the canopy and 15 blades.

Iīm about to order some new blades, batteries and training legs from DealExtreme, and the ultimate metal kit, canopy and landing skit from helipad.

Do you know if the canopy from the Belt-CP can be made to fit the v4, and is it stronger than the v4 canopy ?

Where can I get the parts for the Blade CX2 conversion (canopy, skit and tail boom) ?

I have read the first 30 pages of this thread, and am learning quite a bit, but I canīt find the parts for the CX2 conversion anywhere.
I bought my servo horns from helidirect, as HS-55's. You'll need two sets... I think.
Everything you need is at helipal.com! (or rchelicoptershop.com)
The canopy probably CAN, but that's unnecesary.
I recommend a vigilante boom from eBay. He's a great guy to deal with.
rawfuls is offline Find More Posts by rawfuls
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2008, 03:50 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
urbandictionary.com works.. ALWAYS!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:40 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls
I bought my servo horns from helidirect, as HS-55's. You'll need two sets... I think.
Everything you need is at helipal.com! (or rchelicoptershop.com)
The canopy probably CAN, but that's unnecesary.
I recommend a vigilante boom from eBay. He's a great guy to deal with.
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=6540

Why buy hs-55 servo horns when you have to force them on and buy two sets?

The e-flite servo horns FIT THE SPLINES of the lama servo and come with 2 arms that are usable so that you only have to buy ONE set.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:53 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
I'm just saying, the total was $4, you get extras to sit around the house. You DONT need to force it on...

I'm only recommending what I'Ve tried...

No need to get all hyped up.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:12 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Not getting hyped up.

The set you referred to on Helidirect is $2.89 for one set.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=2378

The set I referred to is $2.99 for one set.

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=6540

You were advising him to buy two of the hitec sets for $5.78 before shipping. While he could get the same results for $2.99 before shipping. I'm not trying to single you out to pick on you, but I'm making sure you realize that what you were advising him to do would cost more and wouldn't work as well.

Also since I'd already pointed him to an alternative that would work better, why even mention the hitec set? Let's stop trying to up our post count and start trying to give USEFUL advice.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:07 AM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
For the second time.
I recommended what I TRIED.
I do NOT recommend something I do NOT use, or HAVENT.

When I recommend things I do NOT have, I've at least USED it. Like the Vigilante Boom. My friend, Jake, had bought one, and he loves it. I flew it, and it's great.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:20 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Xtreme yaw

Put the stock motors back in - problem remained... Looked at the obvious stuff, but nothing. Realized that everyone has there motors mounted with the labels on the right, and wires routed to the right (could it possibly make a difference?). Swapped them. Also, 4-in-1 was coming loose from tape and a little off-center, so realigned that. Somehow this seems to have solved the problem. Will put the Xtreme's back in next.

As a side note, there's a trim pot under the plastic on the Esky 4-in-1 (same side as gyro & prop, next to the gyro, but not accessible without taking the cover off. Anyone know what this pot does?

Thanks,

Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyentific
Installed Xtreme 2nd gen BB motors today and was rewarded with uncontrollable CCW yaw. Does this mean that one of the motors is bad? Which one?

It's more yaw than I can tune out with the prop and trim.

Thanks,

Cam
psyentific is offline Find More Posts by psyentific
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:52 AM
Ezekiel Midnight
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jun 2008
10 Posts
I am having TBE issues and have tried everything I could find before bugging everyone with question I could have solved by reading the thread but to no avail. Here is what I have tried:

Replace outer shaft
Replace inner shaft (used stock and extended) (p.s. using extended shaft makes TBE worse)
Took blades off and spun up shafts to see if they were straight
Weighted the blades
Weighted the fly bar
Replaced the flybar and linkage
Sanded down flybar ball (I think this makes it rougher)
Switched back to unsanded flybar ball
Leveled swash plate
Replaced gear with bad teeth
Suspended heli for balance
Replaced upper shaft bearing

Everything is stock now except for Xtreme motors, blades and unbreakable skids.
What else should I try that you have seen fix TBE? The upper blade tracking isnít perfect. Is this a confirmed source of TBE? Iíve heard that bending Xtreme blades doesnít make a lasting fix.
jcs1 is offline Find More Posts by jcs1
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:12 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1
I am having TBE issues and have tried everything I could find before bugging everyone with question I could have solved by reading the thread but to no avail. Here is what I have tried:

Replace outer shaft
Replace inner shaft (used stock and extended) (p.s. using extended shaft makes TBE worse)
Weighted the blades
Weighted the fly bar
Leveled swash plate

What else should I try that you have seen fix TBE? The upper blade tracking isnít perfect. Is this a confirmed source of TBE? Iíve heard that bending Xtreme blades doesnít make a lasting fix.
Did you try adjusting your flybar linkage to get those top blades tracking better? I just found out about this adjustment not too long ago and it did help with the top blade tracking. Don't know if this will help with your TBE or not. I'm sure some veteran pilots out there has other ideas.
Mike
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:20 PM
Portland, OR USA
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Quote:

Replace outer shaft
Weighted the blades
Weighted the fly bar
Leveled swash plate

As Mike said, Upper blade tracking is accomplished by adjusting the flybar link, bending/twisting the blades is reserved for the lowers.
Make sure the flybar moves freely and is straight, and you don't have the blades too tight and that they are balanced and tracking.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Weighted the blades - Weighted the fly bar"

Earl
earletp is offline Find More Posts by earletp
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:04 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I think he's referring to using tape to balance the lower blades?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:25 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,158 Posts
Quote:

Replace outer shaft
Weighted the blades
Weighted the fly bar
Leveled swash plate

Where are you flying?

I had a similar issue once and discovered that, when I moved from my living room (carpet and furniture) to my garage (bare concrete floor) the TBE was completely gone and the Lama hung there in a beautiful hover.

Reflected rotor wash can do all sorts of weird things, and one is to mimic TBE. My living room "free flight" area is small - about 10 x 12 feet, and is bordered on 3 sides by a couch, coffee table with plants, and an upholstered chair with a side stand and lamp. When I fly there, it is very easy to get into something that looks just like TBE, but it is not caused by anything on the Lama.

If you can, try flying in a different spot and see if things improve.

The only other hardware thing that comes to mind is to make sure the flybar and upper blades can pivot VERY easily. If they or the ball link is binding up even in the slightest, that can cause TBE. If the ball links are tight ( I had that after installing CNC parts) "massage" them by gently squeezing them (while assembled) with pliers. This will open up the link and make it fit more loosely on the ball. Also a drop of oil helps.

Zoandar
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:38 PM
Ezekiel Midnight
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jun 2008
10 Posts
The weighting I was referring to was adding tape to balance things out. I have flown in my apartment, in the basement and outdoors. TBE everywhere. The flybar link and ball seem to move pretty unencumbered. I have used two completely different sets of flybars, linkages, and inner shafts. TBE with all but worst with the lighter flybar and longer shaft as is to be expected. I'm back to the original set which used to work fine before.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:48 PM
Ezekiel Midnight
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jun 2008
10 Posts
I just adjusted the fly linkage per Mike's advise and have the top blade tracking almost perfect. TBE persists. Flies fine in the initial hover but starts to veer in weird directions while flying out of the hover and spins in usual tbe circles after stick is released and hover begins again.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 03:23 PM
Quebec, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
1,023 Posts
Quote:
I just adjusted the fly linkage per Mike's advise and have the top blade tracking almost perfect. TBE persists. Flies fine in the initial hover but starts to veer in weird directions while flying out of the hover and spins in usual tbe circles after stick is released and hover begins again.
I have limited experience but if the initial hover is fine and there is TBE once you start fyling, it might simply be normal behavior I might be mistaken but I don't think that the heli is expected to come back to a perfect hover after you start moving around and then let go of the sticks.

Mine kinda does that too but I am usually able to bring it back to a stable hover with the sticks and once it's back to a stable hover, then I can again let go of the sticks. But the pilot must first control the heli back to a stable hover.

My 2Ę.
Kadath is offline Find More Posts by Kadath