SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 07, 2008, 05:33 PM
Portland, OR USA
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1
OK I just tested some stuff and want to run a theory past everyone. I tested the motor I thought was burned out on the 4in1 port that is operational and it did not work (the new motor does). But when the new motor is plugged into the non functioning 4in1 port it does not work. So is it possible the old motor overheated mid flight, locked up and then overloaded the 4in1 port it was connected to damaging both the motor and the 4in1 simultaneously before I could land?
Given what you're reported, that theory sounds reasonable to me, maybe others with more experience will voice their opinions too.

To help mitigate that type of problem I've added the Eflite Over-Current Protection/PTC Fuse Harness (EFLH1206) to my Lama. Another option would be to install a regular fuse inline. My recollection is that a 5 amp is what others are using, but at $4.99 for a pair of the Eflite PTC's that just plug in, it was an easy choice for me.

Earl
earletp is offline Find More Posts by earletp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2008, 05:36 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Yes, it is possible. It happened to my HBFP, which has similiar electronics, brand, etc.

Mine had a stuck gearmesh, I did not recognize it fast enough, and forgot to cut throttle. $45 mistake.

If a motor locks up, and stops, causing the 4in1 immediately sending MORE power, to get that motor back up, it will strain the fetts, and burn out. (I think this is right, I may be wrong). This is MY theory. If both motors work, on another port, then it's definitely the 4in1.. Get the new AFC motors, they're $6 for two, and great from what I've heard.
rawfuls is offline Find More Posts by rawfuls
Old Jun 07, 2008, 05:45 PM
Portland, OR USA
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls
Get the new AFC motors, they're $6 for two, and great from what I've heard.
Why would he do that when he already has a brand new pair of Xtreme motors?
Old Jun 07, 2008, 06:17 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Well, after the xtreme motors :P
Old Jun 07, 2008, 06:50 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs1
OK I just tested some stuff and want to run a theory past everyone. I tested the motor I thought was burned out on the 4in1 port that is operational and it did not work (the new motor does). But when the new motor is plugged into the non functioning 4in1 port it does not work. So is it possible the old motor overheated mid flight, locked up and then overloaded the 4in1 port it was connected to damaging both the motor and the 4in1 simultaneously before I could land?
Yes. The 4-in-1 is toast.

Regards
rbinc is offline Find More Posts by rbinc
Old Jun 07, 2008, 07:05 PM
Ezekiel Midnight
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jun 2008
10 Posts
Thanks for the input. I will install those fuses with the new 4in1. Has anyone heard of a mod to add a cooling fan? I found some 5V 25mm computer fans that would fit perfectly on the front of the 4in1. With a JST y-cable it could potentially run off the battery. Or a 9-volt battery could run two with one in the tail section for the motors.
jcs1 is offline Find More Posts by jcs1
Old Jun 07, 2008, 07:37 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Would be too heavy, especially with the 9V
Old Jun 08, 2008, 12:39 AM
Cobalt, Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
138 Posts
Well for sakes, after being so ed off I took a look at my heli today. yesterday it would not run. Well the 4in1 is ok, I found that it was a wire that had burned right off and had to make that dreadfull noise and all that smoke.
I know what electrics burning smells like and this was just like that too.
never occured to me to check the wire on the battery, I was too mad. Took the 4in1 apart too and had to put it back together with some tape, and was I shocked to get a light after I plugged a different battery in to only half the 4in1. I then put it back together and put the servos and motors back on and she spun up. Thanks to everyone for the support. I'm a one happy guy, got my bird back.
Chap1012 Congrats on your 30th anniversary and have a good trip. My 19th was on the 3rd. Thanks again
jabano is offline Find More Posts by jabano
Old Jun 08, 2008, 01:08 AM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Glad to hear you're up and running!

I ususally just stomp around, steaming.

I'm thinking about asking my dad to cut away or sand the solder down to a fine point, and do some open heart surgery to my HBFP, for the 4in1.
Old Jun 08, 2008, 11:49 AM
Cobalt, Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
138 Posts
Hey Rawfuls
I did that stompin around thing too. lol
Ran 2 and 1/2 batteries through about an hour ago and everything went great. Did the short flybar, not sure if I like it yet. First time I gave it a good forward go since I added the longer servo arm. I had it on just one extra hole and boy can they get going! Went against the wind up the street and as it was leveling out, I did a hard turn and it was at a good angle, boy did it scoot. caught me by surprise and it's a narrow street. I saw that it was heading for some trees and cut the throttle right off. The only thing that happened was it broke the little tail bracket I made. I popped it back on and it held so I Kept flying.
What fun!
Old Jun 08, 2008, 02:23 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Yup, it's amazing at the technology these days. I'm starting to imagine what it'll be like when I turn 20, 30, maybe even 50 >.< (I'm 13!)

Yeah, I had it out on 2nd hole for a while, and switched to third, boy, it's sensitive!

It's getting pretty windy in my area, where my HBFP 4in1 isn't up and ready just yet, my lama v4 is just sitting here, with stock blades (they're really not all that bad, when you know how to treat them, and not break them...Which is never ), and it's begging for no wind.

For now, my RC stuff is ALL on hold...

RC Honey Bee Fixed Pitch (4in1 Down)
RC Lama V4 (Wind)
RC Dodge Charger [Hobby Brand, cheapo from radioshack] (Circuit board fried steering, motor still works)
RC Traxxas E-Maxx (Waiting for charger, to charge my packs)
RC DuraTrax Evader EXT (Waiting for charger, and connectors, to charge my packs)
RC Hummer [Radioshack Cheapo] (Wheel popped off, need some experimenting to fix)

That's pretty much it. I was hoping to get the charger yesterday, (saturday), but usps was messing with my head...
Old Jun 08, 2008, 03:31 PM
Joined May 2008
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earletp
Given what you're reported, that theory sounds reasonable to me, maybe others with more experience will voice their opinions too.

To help mitigate that type of problem I've added the Eflite Over-Current Protection/PTC Fuse Harness (EFLH1206) to my Lama. Another option would be to install a regular fuse inline. My recollection is that a 5 amp is what others are using, but at $4.99 for a pair of the Eflite PTC's that just plug in, it was an easy choice for me.

Earl
Are the E-Flite PTC's just an in-line fusible link with plugs at each end or do they automatically reset after they're set off?

I've been using some of the mini-blade type 5 amp auto fuses, but at around $5 a pack, the PTC thingie would be a big time & $$ saver
AZheli is offline Find More Posts by AZheli
Old Jun 08, 2008, 04:04 PM
Portland, OR USA
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZheli
Are the E-Flite PTC's just an in-line fusible link with plugs at each end or do they automatically reset after they're set off?

I've been using some of the mini-blade type 5 amp auto fuses, but at around $5 a pack, the PTC thingie would be a big time & $$ saver
They automatically reset after cooling down.
Old Jun 08, 2008, 04:49 PM
Quebec, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
1,023 Posts
Does anyone have schematics for the 72 MHz 4in1 by any chance? I need to know the values of L1 and C14 to replace them (4in1 busted in a crash).

Thanks!
Kadath is offline Find More Posts by Kadath
Old Jun 09, 2008, 12:26 PM
Cobalt, Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
138 Posts
rawfuls
I used to fly rc planes about 22 years ago, designed and built my own planes (that's fun stuff). It was a shock to the system to find out that this whole helicopter thing was going on. They had them back then but they were considered a tinker toy, with all of the adjustments you had to make and the hands on flying. Very hard to do.
But now, like you say "With the amazing technology these days" you can buy a copter or plane that can practically fly itself. The RTF kits alone are amazing, we used to pay for a radio system and engine then, what you pay for a good RTF now.
Really Even with the net, I was not looking at Rc stuff and had no ideal what was out there. You are living in amazing times when it comes to Rc and if you keep it up and honestly learn you're hobby, you will be one heck of a pilot,driver,whatever.
I started checking heli's out after I saw a picco-z, thought that was amazing, but it was just a drop in the bucket. That all made me want to get back into Rc and try out heli's. I have a night ranger 2 but was not ready for it and now it has issues (4in1 does not confirm start up and does not settle in or balance the tail) So I settled for the lama v4. Very got to train with and now I want to get something bigger again.
Have you seen the Twister Skylift Tandem, very cool machine and they now have a picco tandem very neet stuff. We are all in for an Rc ride for sure. Electronic is to blame and it will only get better.
Have fun with your hobby.