Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 07, 2007, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1 Posts
Hi,

Don't know if this has been posted before.
I got my Lama V4 TX in mode 1 (throttle right), mode 2 not available at the store.
Thought I could re-educate myself using mode 1 as I'm more familiar with mode 2 when I flew planes long time ago. How wrong I was. It was really confusing causing a few crashes! So I searched and found instructions from Esky below.

Modded my TX.

If you get your Esky TX in mode 1 but need to change to mode 2 or vice versa, follow the steps below. This also applies to most of the Esky TX.

http://www.twf-sz.com/china/download...left-right.pdf

Cheers.
muzzsharpe is offline Find More Posts by muzzsharpe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2007, 10:05 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Great find! how in the world did you ever find that?

Has anyone found the operating instructions to a Lama Heli online?
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Oct 07, 2007, 02:23 PM
TCH
Lama V4 Crasher
South Carolina
Joined Oct 2007
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Great find! how in the world did you ever find that?

Has anyone found the operating instructions to a Lama Heli online?
There is a link for the manual on the Esky page here:

http://www.twf-sz.com/english/products.asp?prodid=0194
TCH is offline Find More Posts by TCH
Old Oct 08, 2007, 02:28 PM
Free like a flying Demon
Joined Sep 2007
45 Posts
Hi, thanks for the mode 1-2 instructions, got a mode 1 when I ordered from Miracle-Mart, so they just sent me a mode2.
Another funny thing, I have 2 Lamas with all the mods you can think of, 3 cm Turbo kit, Extreme Kit with motors, Li-Po packs, blades, alu everything.
2 days ago I got a 3rd Lama, I took it out of the boxs and started to fly. IT WAS THE BEST HELI I HAVE EVER TRIED!!
Smooth as silk, lot's of power, totally stable hoover and full controll!!
I got a very long nose, the other helis I have put on all parts right away, not even tested the standard parts, because with 1 of them I got wrong tx, the other is built up by parts, I will use the mode 1 for this. But what a shock. After a few crashes I got tired of changing blades, so I put on some Extrem's. That will probably be the ONLY modd I will do with this little bee..............
Helipsyko is offline Find More Posts by Helipsyko
Old Oct 08, 2007, 03:24 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
I also have a very nice flying completly stock Lama IV. Except I did install micro deans so I could use other LiPos I had on hand. I tried the extreme blades and found they do resist damage, but they are heavy, slow down throttle response, and made my motors run enough hotter that I began to smell them after each flight. I could get a reading of just over 140 F from my infared gun. I switched back to the stock blades and it now peaks at just over 130 F, but that is enough that I can still smell the motors just after a flight.

I have not logged my flights but I think I am approaching 100. I am on my second set of transmitter batteries after the stock batteries. The stock batteries went very fast, maybe 10 flights. When I am flying I wait just 20-30 min between flights as I have 6 flight batteries and two chargers available. I just give it time to cool off and fly again. I have the feeling (but no data) that the motors are running hotter as they age. If that trend continues they will just get hotter and hotter until one fails completely. Has anyone else experienced that? If you have had a motor fail, did you notice it running hotter before it failed?

It is an amazing machine indoors. Outdoors I have not had much success. I probably tried 5-6 flight and never flew out a battery. I have seen it get carried away by a breeze so light it is hard to tell it's direction, except by watching the heli. I have experienced sudden altitude drops and even unexpected altitude gains. Outdoor is just another world to this slow flying craft. Reminds me of watching kids with bubbles.
Last edited by bz1mcr; Oct 08, 2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2007, 09:42 PM
Joined Sep 2007
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzsharpe
If you get your Esky TX in mode 1 but need to change to mode 2 or vice versa, follow the steps below. This also applies to most of the Esky TX.

http://www.twf-sz.com/china/download...left-right.pdf

Cheers.
I have 2 little white switches inside my esky 0404 radio (on the lower left hand side).
These switches transfer the horizontal and vertical stick functions between the left & right stick. I read in another thread that not every 0404 has these switches. Before going thru that complicated procedure above, check if you have the switches. Then converting from one mode to the other is as easy as flipping both switches. The only other thing you have to do is to transfer the spring assembly and the ratchet from the right to the left stick. Each is held in place by a single screw.
_Icarus is offline Find More Posts by _Icarus
Old Oct 08, 2007, 11:53 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
I also have a very nice flying completly stock Lama IV. Except I did install micro deans so I could use other LiPos I had on hand. I tried the extreme blades and found they do resist damage, but they are heavy, slow down throttle response, and made my motors run enough hotter that I began to smell them after each flight. I could get a reading of just over 140 F from my infared gun. I switched back to the stock blades and it now peaks at just over 130 F, but that is enough that I can still smell the motors just after a flight.

I have not logged my flights but I think I am approaching 100. I am on my second set of transmitter batteries after the stock batteries. The stock batteries went very fast, maybe 10 flights. When I am flying I wait just 20-30 min between flights as I have 6 flight batteries and two chargers available. I just give it time to cool off and fly again. I have the feeling (but no data) that the motors are running hotter as they age. If that trend continues they will just get hotter and hotter until one fails completely. Has anyone else experienced that? If you have had a motor fail, did you notice it running hotter before it failed?

It is an amazing machine indoors. Outdoors I have not had much success. I probably tried 5-6 flight and never flew out a battery. I have seen it get carried away by a breeze so light it is hard to tell it's direction, except by watching the heli. I have experienced sudden altitude drops and even unexpected altitude gains. Outdoor is just another world to this slow flying craft. Reminds me of watching kids with bubbles.
One of my motors burnt out on a lovely 98 degree Arizona evening. It did run a little hotter after it began to age. it finally burnt out on a 101 degree day and I think the other is gonna blow out soon.
fauxhammer is offline Find More Posts by fauxhammer
Old Oct 09, 2007, 09:37 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Icarus
I have 2 little white switches inside my esky 0404 radio (on the lower left hand side).
These switches transfer the horizontal and vertical stick functions between the left & right stick. I read in another thread that not every 0404 has these switches. Before going thru that complicated procedure above, check if you have the switches. Then converting from one mode to the other is as easy as flipping both switches. The only other thing you have to do is to transfer the spring assembly and the ratchet from the right to the left stick. Each is held in place by a single screw.
Could you post a picture showing where the switches are? and maybe a description of what needs to be done to expose them?
Old Oct 09, 2007, 09:44 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxhammer
One of my motors burnt out on a lovely 98 degree Arizona evening. It did run a little hotter after it began to age. it finally burnt out on a 101 degree day and I think the other is gonna blow out soon.
Faux...: Any idea how many fights you put on each motor? Sounds like you replaced one motor. I was planning to do both at the same time to keep them matched. Did replacing one cause any problems? What are the signs that make you think "the other is gonna blow out soon."?

anyone: Where is the best place to get motors? Anyone found lower cost generic motors?
Old Oct 09, 2007, 10:41 PM
Joined Sep 2007
38 Posts
Quote:
Could you post a picture showing where the switches are? and maybe a description of what needs to be done to expose them?
Remove the 4 screws at the back of the radio and open the back cover.
Look at the circuit board at the lower left corner of the radio.
The first picture shows the 2 switches, I highlighted them with a black circle. Don't confuse them with the two red dip switches, they do something else.

One switch flips the horizontal controls (rudder & aileron) from the right stick to the left stick. The other does it for the vertical controls (throttle & elevator).
So you make any mode combination by flipping one or both switches.

BTW: The red dip switches control servo mixing for various swashplate arrangements and I think they also control motor mixing for tail rotor vs coax rotor arangements.

If you flip the throttle & elevator functions then you also have to swap the elevator centering spring and the throttle ratchet.
The next 2 pictures show where they are located. I have the ratchet moved over to the side because I did not want any clicks on my throttle. If you look inside your radio, you'll see that there is an empty receptacle and screw hole to accept the mounting of each on the opposite gimbal assembly.
I think that you just have to remove the one screw holding the centering spring assembly. Then you can pull out the coil spring and the blade spring from under the gimbal cam. Then you slip both in the same place on the other gimbal assembly and fasten it with the screw.

Like I said in the previous post, I saw comments on another thread where people were saying that they could not find these switches.
My radio is an Esky 0404 35MHz.
It has a sticker in the back that says Model ET.
It came with the LamaV4 I bought about 3 weeks ago from an Ebay dealer in HongKong.
Last edited by _Icarus; Oct 09, 2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 09:30 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
No Mode switching switches

My radio is an Esky 0404 72MHz.
It has a sticker in the back that says FCC ID:R6R-ESKYSZ05 Model ET.
It came with the LamaV4 I bought about 3 weeks ago from a dealer in China.

It looks different than yours and unfortunately does not appear to have either the white mode switching switches or the red function switches.

Below is a picture of mine. Note, the markings on the board indicate the same board can be used for 35 MHz and 72 MHz radios. I did check the other side of the board and found no switches there either.

I guess ESKY has uses more than one transmitter variation.

While I had it open I did reduce the notchy ness of the throttle by lightly sanding the ridges that the throttle position holding spring run against. Just a few strokes with light sand paper and the notches are almost completely gone, but the stick still holds position well.

Don
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:44 AM
FLYING MAKES MY ARMS SORE
Joined Jan 2007
327 Posts
u know u could have just flipped over the metal strip dude?
switchback7 is offline Find More Posts by switchback7
Old Oct 10, 2007, 02:17 PM
Joined Sep 2007
38 Posts
Too bad about the missing switches. I guess you have to fall back to the procedure on the Esky web site

Re the throttle ratchet. I can see why you still want some pressure from it to better hold throttle position.
I read in another thread that a guy slipped a piece of plastic tubing over it.
Like that he gets friction to hold the throttle but has no notches.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 02:52 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
u r a rude dude

If I had thought about it I would have tried turning the metal spring over as doing that You can always return to the stock setup. Doing what I did was essentially a permanent change, but it worked out ok.

Are you flying yours with the spring flipped? How would you describe the feel?
Last edited by bz1mcr; Oct 10, 2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 02:55 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Icarus
Too bad about the missing switches. I guess you have to fall back to the procedure on the Esky web site

Re the throttle ratchet. I can see why you still want some pressure from it to better hold throttle position.
I read in another thread that a guy slipped a piece of plastic tubing over it.
Like that he gets friction to hold the throttle but has no notches.
I considered the tubing, but did not have any handy. I had a nail file and it worked out just as I hoped. Just a hint of the old detents so you can feel it if you move it and yet it will stay at any position.