HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:46 AM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
I haven't tried it on mine (I'll have to), but it sounds like the gyro kicking in so it's probably normal.

-JT
jtspin is offline Find More Posts by jtspin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2007, 05:04 PM
AKA Don
Troy, MI USA
Joined Dec 2002
7,456 Posts
I am now back home on my own computer and I get the audio now. Sounds normal to me.

The gyro should speed up one motor and slow the other in a way that resists "spinning" (rotation around the shaft axis). I just spun mine up in my hand, and then applyed a twist (intentional) the sound is much the same as what you describe as "shaking" that is being caused by the heli. I don't know what to make of that.

I just watched the video a few more times and it appears the rotation begins as soon as the heli gets light even befor liftoff. That is what I would expect to happen if the two motors are performing differently or the proportional adjustment is way off! If that is true then when you spin it up in your hand you should be able to feel it torqueing steadily one direction. Also, the direction would always be the same. But haven't you said the direction of spin is not always the same????

It sounds like both motors are running smoothly (no sudden speed changes) just one is faster than the other? From the silent videos I had judged both motors appeared to spin about the same speed? I am confused. Have you seen any indication that one motor consistantly spins faster? Could you possibly have pinion gears with different numbers of teeth? Could the motors be mismatched?
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:56 PM
Joined Sep 2007
38 Posts
There are a couple of things I noticed in the video.
1 - The bottom motor connector is plugged backwards compared to my lama.
When I look at the 4 motor wires comming out of the 4in1 of my heli, I see red-black-black-red from top to bottom. On your video, I see red-black-red-black. That would indicate that the rear motor which drives the top rotor is plugged-in backwards (bottom plug). Yet the video shows the top rotor turning counter-clockwise, as it should. I'm confused .
2 - The wire to the rear motor has been rerouted, its not attached in the tie-wrap with the other wires, did you replace the rear motor? Is there a bad or intermittent connection to the motor? that would explain the shaking. Try disconecting one of the motors and spin-up the other motor to see if it cuts-out at higher speeds. Then repeat with the other motor connected.
3 - The LED on your 4in1 seems to be shinning red; it should be shinning green once the 4in1 is armed. Maybe the 4in1 defective.
3 - It looks as if the gyro was out of control and was violently wagging the tail. Did you try to set the gain pot to zero (all the way CCW)? That should disable gyro action. Check the first post on this thread, there is a link to the procedure to trim the 4in1.

Good luck.
_Icarus is offline Find More Posts by _Icarus
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:56 PM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
Im rebuilding my older lama and can't remember if the A blades are the top? Pretty sure they are, can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks.
m4rs is offline Find More Posts by m4rs
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:21 PM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
Charging now, I guess I'll know soon enough.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:35 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
859 Posts
LOL - "A" blades to the top.
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
AKA Don
Troy, MI USA
Joined Dec 2002
7,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rs
Im rebuilding my older lama and can't remember if the A blades are the top? Pretty sure they are, can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks.
"A" blades on top on mine also.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:23 PM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
Welp after my lama's first flight in many months I'm not to stoked.
The upper drive gear has 3 teeth that are almost gone.
I dont have a tail so the balance is way off(which I was expecting).
How is balancing with the boomtown tail? Is it a perfect match to the old one in wieght? Will it sit properly with the stock L/G? Or will I need there skids too?
Ive never had to replace the drive gear. Is it pretty straight forward? That and the tail are the only parts I dont have.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 04:44 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,768 Posts
Quote:
Easy way to remember: top blades rotate CCW, bottom blades rotate CW.
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:04 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
859 Posts
Quote:
Welp after my lama's first flight in many months I'm not to stoked.
The upper drive gear has 3 teeth that are almost gone.
I dont have a tail so the balance is way off(which I was expecting).
How is balancing with the boomtown tail? Is it a perfect match to the old one in wieght? Will it sit properly with the stock L/G? Or will I need there skids too?
Ive never had to replace the drive gear. Is it pretty straight forward? That and the tail are the only parts I dont have.
The Boomtown tail is a tad lighter than stock, and will need a bit of modding to fit;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=64

The Stateline version fits easier, I believe - also lightweight. You may have to adjust the swash a little after fitting.

They both go fine with the landing gear, although I can recommend the "indestructable" Boomtown skids.

The drivegear is easy to replace.
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Sep 30, 2007, 01:36 PM
Lovin My Lama V4's
Louisiana
Joined Aug 2007
31 Posts
Finally finished most of the custom mods on one of my Lama V4's. Here's a pic and the mods made:

BCX/2 boom and skids
Xtreme blades
LED flybar (made a big difference in flght handling)
Xtreme BCX/2 canopy (Sprint White/Black Spray Tint)
Custom decals (designed and printed myself...used the same "black flame" design as the originals since it was first time on this canopy, added my company logo and some other details)

I have the extended Xtreme inner shaft and bearing housing, and a set of Boca's but not changing all that out until I have to!

It flys as good or better than it did out of the box. Definitely handles better outside though still has problems in a decent breeze. Haven't noticed any difference in flight time but I time my flights anyway and stop.

Modding another V4 with different parts and color scheme...will post when done with it.

geauxfast is offline Find More Posts by geauxfast
Old Sep 30, 2007, 01:47 PM
FLYING MAKES MY ARMS SORE
Joined Jan 2007
327 Posts
Nice job, looks similar and almost as good as my v3 actually got weight down from stock on mine with straw boom no fins, extended flight time of about another minute ish, i'm interested in the improved handling from led flybar, can u be more specific?
switchback7 is offline Find More Posts by switchback7
Old Oct 01, 2007, 09:25 AM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxfast
Finally finished most of the custom mods on one of my Lama V4's. Here's a pic and the mods made:

BCX/2 boom and skids
Xtreme blades
LED flybar (made a big difference in flght handling)
Xtreme BCX/2 canopy (Sprint White/Black Spray Tint)
Custom decals (designed and printed myself...used the same "black flame" design as the originals since it was first time on this canopy, added my company logo and some other details)

I have the extended Xtreme inner shaft and bearing housing, and a set of Boca's but not changing all that out until I have to!

It flys as good or better than it did out of the box. Definitely handles better outside though still has problems in a decent breeze. Haven't noticed any difference in flight time but I time my flights anyway and stop.

Modding another V4 with different parts and color scheme...will post when done with it.

Nice work! I like the decals. I still am not sold on the Xtreme look just yet. I like the simple tails like Stateline sells and the basic indestructible landing skids. Less weight = better!
blkdog7 is offline Find More Posts by blkdog7
Old Oct 01, 2007, 09:41 AM
AKA Don
Troy, MI USA
Joined Dec 2002
7,456 Posts
Has anyone made a brushless conversion of a Lama yet? Seems like that would improve an already great Heli.
Don
Old Oct 01, 2007, 09:50 AM
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
what are the advantages of a brushless motor
xeth is offline Find More Posts by xeth