HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:13 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxhammer
Not a 4n1 problem so what could it be? Are my new bearings busted is it somehow a motor problem. I've been at this for months and made almost no headway. WHAT IS WRONG!!!!!

You have described uncontrolled spinning. Sometimes in one direction sometimes in the other. Seldom if ever switching from one direction to the other during one run or flight. If it was a mechanical problem it would normally always spin in the same direction. Since it does not, that suggests it is a control system failure of some type. The "Spin" control system is made up of the 4-1 and the transmitter (no servos or linkages are involved). If you have tried another 4-1 and it had no effect, it must be in the transmitter. Most likely a bad "rudder" pot. or a bad connection to the rudder pot. Can you try another transmitter? Maybe put your crystal in your friends transmitter and try to run your heli.

It would help if you can summarize what you observed; what you checked and what the results have been. Also any pictures or videos would be a great help.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:28 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeth
How tight do you guys screw your blades? Should it be tight so the blades don't swing around or should it move freely?

I have experimented with this and made these obserevations:
1-- my heli had very free blades as received. It was very stable in hover and operated very well.
2-- When I installed the first set of replacement blades, I snugged them up. Not tight but enough drag so they would not fall on there own when the heli was tipped (with the motors not turning) -- Hover and stability was degraded.
3--I loosened the blade holder slightly so the blades moved if tipped way over, but sort of stuck in position, never swinging freely back and forth--operation was better than 2 but still not as good as 1.
4-- I loosened the holder again untill the blades would swing freely but were not sloppy loose. Operation returned to just like #1 "very stable in hover and operated very well."

I have never seen what others have described as TBE (moving around in a circle while maintaining heading) for more than a few seconds and that I believe is associated with very low level hovering(< 6") ground effect air circulation. I have seen no correlation with blade tightness.

I like the blades loose.

I never put them in position by hand befor spinning up. I do start with a very slow spin up, but with in 1-4 revolutions the blades are seperated and in flying position.
Last edited by bz1mcr; Sep 20, 2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 03:27 AM
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
I'm thinking of buying another battery from miracle mart. A 7.4v 1100mah 20c is available. Can the lama v4 handle 20c li polys? I'm thinking that the motors can be burned somewhat.
xeth is offline Find More Posts by xeth
Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:01 AM
The ever learning newbie
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
Sent you a pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr_1981
Hey guys, i wanted to jump in here quik as I read something abotu out of stock on lama parts. The only thing having trouble getting is the aluminum blade grips cause the manufacturer cant seem to keep up. As for the other stuff either its out for a day or so, or I just havent made it to update. Like the blades, i order in 100 sets a week and I am lucky to make it till the next order arrives. All the other stuff I have full stock but sometimes I miss updating the site as same things just get accidently skipped when checking things in. SInce last weekend though, all excpet the blade grips I pretty much have everything heavily stock with orders coming in every week to try to keep from getting behind.

KR sent you a pm.........please answer would like to get some "stuff"
rab23us is offline Find More Posts by rab23us
Old Sep 22, 2007, 03:05 PM
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
I experienced a TBE after a crash landing, it turns out that the cause was that the 4in1 was misaligned from it's place. I straightened it out and it flew back to normal.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:39 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
You have described uncontrolled spinning. Sometimes in one direction sometimes in the other. Seldom if ever switching from one direction to the other during one run or flight. If it was a mechanical problem it would normally always spin in the same direction. Since it does not, that suggests it is a control system failure of some type. The "Spin" control system is made up of the 4-1 and the transmitter (no servos or linkages are involved). If you have tried another 4-1 and it had no effect, it must be in the transmitter. Most likely a bad "rudder" pot. or a bad connection to the rudder pot. Can you try another transmitter? Maybe put your crystal in your friends transmitter and try to run your heli.

It would help if you can summarize what you observed; what you checked and what the results have been. Also any pictures or videos would be a great help.
when i used my friend's 4n1 i used his tx also???
edit: I also have a honey bee fp on the same frequency so I have two TX's and it spins with both. I'm guessing that somehow my new bearings are busted...
fauxhammer is offline Find More Posts by fauxhammer
Last edited by fauxhammer; Sep 23, 2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 07:40 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
i have a quicktime vid, how do you put it into a post
Last edited by fauxhammer; Sep 22, 2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 06:13 AM
Joined Aug 2007
767 Posts
First upgrades

I'm thinking of placing my first upgrade order. Blade strike is driving me nuts, causing basically all my crashes. I'd also like some more responsiveness on the controls, so I'm thinking of trying the shortened flybar from BP Hobbies.

While I'm at it, I'm going to get the regular aluminum inner shaft to eliminate the flying flybar issue. (Note for those of you not ready to start upgrading: a little piece of tape does a good job of this as well.) I'm not ready to try the extended shaft - other than the blade clashes, my lama is flying so sweet I don't want to muck with it too much.

Here's my question: the aluminum rotor head set is reasonably priced. Anybody see an advantage to this (other than matching the new inner shaft)? How about any negatives?

Thanks,

Misfire
misfire is offline Find More Posts by misfire
Old Sep 23, 2007, 04:28 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire
I'm thinking of placing my first upgrade order. Blade strike is driving me nuts, causing basically all my crashes. I'd also like some more responsiveness on the controls, so I'm thinking of trying the shortened flybar from BP Hobbies.

While I'm at it, I'm going to get the regular aluminum inner shaft to eliminate the flying flybar issue. (Note for those of you not ready to start upgrading: a little piece of tape does a good job of this as well.) I'm not ready to try the extended shaft - other than the blade clashes, my lama is flying so sweet I don't want to muck with it too much.

Here's my question: the aluminum rotor head set is reasonably priced. Anybody see an advantage to this (other than matching the new inner shaft)? How about any negatives?

Thanks,

Misfire
well, which inner shaft are you talking about? The E-sky one (doesn't let flybar out) or the xtreme (extended at the head 5mm,doesn't let flybar out)
or the rchelicopter shop shaft (extended 3cm!!! no more blade clash, but you have to buy a large set including aluminum swash,lower blade head,blade grips and the 3cm extended shaft which is basically an e-sky shaft welded onto 3cm of extra shaft)
My thoughts
-the 3cm and other stuff set is good if your past the point of crashing because this shaft is easily bent.
-the e-sky aluminum shaft only holdes the flybar in, nothing else.
-I would call the xtreme shaft a good middle. It holdes you flybar in does'nt bend easily (becouse the head is extended, not the shaft) and since it is extended it reduces blade strike (I don't know how much)
I own the xtreme. I began with a regular stock shaft then an e-sky shaft then an extreme shaft and soon a 3cm extended shaft. (whenever I outgrow a shaft, I sell it to my friend who has a V3)
Oh and also, longer servo arms/horns improve manuverability (how the heck do you spell that)
T-H-A-T (ha ha hah)

P.S. all i've heard about the shortened fly bar is that it reduces blade clash but it may also improve manuverability.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 04:47 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
a few questions
-are boca bearing's ceramic bearings better then the standard, are the standered bearings stock???
-can you make the blade cx batterie holder fit the lama V4 (the local place sells bcx stuff and I don;t like waiting for shipping)
Last edited by fauxhammer; Sep 23, 2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 07:16 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
this should work...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ATXbqcQmA
Old Sep 23, 2007, 08:06 PM
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxhammer
blade imbalance? or the other motor is stronger than the other one, if that happens you have to adjust the 4in1. Haven't tried it though
Old Sep 23, 2007, 08:44 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Ouch! That is violent.

Slow mo looks like both motors are spinning in opposite directions and both at very close to the same speed. No problem there. I could not get any sound. When holding in your hand and and "shaking" does it sound like one motor is cutting out?

"Shaking" appears to come and go or go from one way to the other, but the free spin is all one way--I don't know what to make of that.

If you disconnect one motor at a time from the 4-1, hold heli in your hand, and spin up just one motor--Is it smooth or shaky? Try it with each motor seperately.
Good luck and keep the faith we will find the problem if we stick to it.
Don
Old Sep 24, 2007, 07:02 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Ouch! That is violent.

Slow mo looks like both motors are spinning in opposite directions and both at very close to the same speed. No problem there. I could not get any sound. When holding in your hand and and "shaking" does it sound like one motor is cutting out?

"Shaking" appears to come and go or go from one way to the other, but the free spin is all one way--I don't know what to make of that.

If you disconnect one motor at a time from the 4-1, hold heli in your hand, and spin up just one motor--Is it smooth or shaky? Try it with each motor seperately.
Good luck and keep the faith we will find the problem if we stick to it.
Don
Thanks, If you guys like I'll post some more videos, just for fun.
I'm about to try the motor thing. The noise of that heli in slow mo is crazy and sounds like... something is going to break, infact, something did!
There is a piece of the batterie holder flys off. I'll tell you how the motor thing gos...
... it looks fine, smooth spin-up, in fact the back motor is almost brand new, the front is a little bit older. This is a peculiar problem...
Old Sep 24, 2007, 07:17 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
oh and to those who got sound, it does sound like one motor is becoming more powerful.
Is your heli supposed to spin up if you twist it,quickly.
What im saying is... well power up your heli to the point where it just makes that whining noise (not actually spinning) and the twist it at the base. On mine if you do that one motor will power up if you twist it.