HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:46 AM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeth
how do you minimize interference? when my tx is turned off my servos jitters, it goes up and down like crazy. sometimes the motors turns on too by itself.
You should never turn the transmitter off with the battery still plugged into the heli!
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:56 AM
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
So this means rx first then tx, then to power off, tx first then rx.
I've been told by the one who I bought my heli from that I should turn on the heli 1st before the tx. Well learned a new one today
xeth is offline Find More Posts by xeth
Old Sep 20, 2007, 06:58 AM
Reno, NV
Joined Dec 2005
1,001 Posts
NO! The battery for the heli should NEVER be connected without the Tx being on, PERIOD. The Tx should be the FIRST thing turned on and the LAST thing turned off.

Sorry for the yelling.
-JT
jtspin is offline Find More Posts by jtspin
Old Sep 20, 2007, 08:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
I've modified my flybar, I've cut the 2 hooks on each end formed another of the same size. Is that too short? flies fine anyway but my problem now is that the 2 blades hit each other.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:20 AM
Joined Aug 2007
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog7
It's the same tail that he has always been selling. I have one and like it. It does sag but can be corrected with piano wire or by propping it up. I do recommend the tail, it's light weight.

Also, check his ebay auctions. I paid $18.00 for mine with free shipping.
Are you sure? He just said on page 11 or so that he was in the process of designing a V4-specific boom, which is how this one is described on his site. Is he developing a better version? I'm sorry, I guess I should be directing the question to him directly. Thanks.

Boy, had some great flying yesterday, I am uber-psyched! Indoor precision in a close space - although it seems to develop some TBE after 30 seconds or so, which I assumed was from rotor-induced currents. Then outside in a light breeze. Managed some smoothish coordinated (aileron, rudder, elevator) turns. Forward motion was just able to overcome the breeze at full elevator - makes me ready to order those servo arms. Had a couple of blade strike events, but the Xtremes came through nick-free, and it taught me to strive for smooth control movement at all times.

I'm smiling! And not that long ago I had concluded I was too retarded for this. Fellow newbies, never despair!

Misfire
misfire is offline Find More Posts by misfire
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:45 AM
Joined Aug 2007
43 Posts
How tight do you guys screw your blades? Should it be tight so the blades don't swing around or should it move freely?
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:02 AM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
I am a newbie on this group. What is TBE?
bar1967 is offline Find More Posts by bar1967
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:11 AM
FLYING MAKES MY ARMS SORE
Joined Jan 2007
327 Posts
toilet bowl effect dude
switchback7 is offline Find More Posts by switchback7
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:26 AM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire
Are you sure? He just said on page 11 or so that he was in the process of designing a V4-specific boom, which is how this one is described on his site. Is he developing a better version? I'm sorry, I guess I should be directing the question to him directly. Thanks.

Misfire
He is best to answer but the one on his site is the one he has always been selling. He is in the process of making a new version just for the LAMA V4 but the one that's there now is the same one he has always had.
blkdog7 is offline Find More Posts by blkdog7
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:26 AM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
How tight do you guys screw your blades? Should it be tight so the blades don't swing around or should it move freely?
The blades should not be tightened down all the way. They should be able to swing freely.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:27 PM
Joined Aug 2007
767 Posts
Quote:
My understanding is that they should be just tight enough that if you hold the heli by the tail, hanging down, and give it a little shake, they will stay put and not swing down - but no tighter than that.

Misfire
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:34 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Mine are as loose as can be and it works perfect. The nice thing about the coaxials is that the blades will swing into proper position. So, if they are too tight they can't swing into the right spot on their own and you might get vibration. And, if they are a little loose they have more give on crashes and it helps them not break.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 01:03 PM
Joined Aug 2007
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar1967
I am a newbie on this group. What is TBE?
Truth be told, I was just trying out a new vocabulary word to try and sound knowledgable - you see the term "TBE" a lot around here, so I searched around and saw it stood for "toilet bowl effect" but still wasn't sure what it was supposed to mean - but when I saw it happen I figured it out. The heli started moving around in a circle, banking to the inside, basically out of control, swirling like a turd around the drain.

Fortunately the problem did not persist

Misfire

PS Coincidentally, it was in various threads on TBE that I've seen people advising that rotor blades should be "snug" - easily pushed around with your finger but not flopping on their own. Excessive looseness, it's said, can cause TBE, other forms of instability, balance problems and even blade/boom strikes (maybe not in coaxials). Mine are definitely loose enough to self-straighten on throttle up and fold in a crash, however.

I always straighten my blades with an outward tug before flying in any case. You definitely don't want to rely on the motors to straighten blades which are folded back; this causes lots of vibration and can cause damage to the drive train.
Last edited by misfire; Sep 20, 2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 08:23 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
949 Posts
Antenna - another approach

First, I must say that this may only be of interest to Walkera 5#6 owners.

Did you ever wonder about that weird tool thing that came with your little gem? Probably to fiddle with the gyro, but you have a miniature screwdriver set for that, don'cha? What was it supposed to clip on to?

Now we know! It clips onto the Boomtown (and maybe other brands of) boom! So, we can tidy up the antenna by cutting off the thin screwdriver part and drilling a 2mm hole in the end that's revealed. Then cyano a length of 2mm carbon fibre rod or tube into the hole and neatly wrap the antenna wire around it. This will take about 100mm of rod if you've left a bit of slack for hinging the boom.

Photo's below should clarify.

Be aware that the efficiency of the antenna will be reduced. This;

http://www.rc-cam.com/ant_exp.htm

is a really good read, and will confirm that this method of coiling an antenna will reduce the range drastically. However, I never operate with more than a thirty foot separation, and at that range, it's fine for me. You must do your own range check!
ranavalona is offline Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:50 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxhammer
Ok so the problem with my heli (spinning around but not tbe) is the 4n1. At least I think. To confirm this I'm going to plug in my friends v3 4n1 and see if it's works ok and then...... SHOPPING SPREE!!!! xtreme parts bcx tail boom and landing gear etc, but first things first... (I like smilies...)
Not a 4n1 problem so what could it be? Are my new bearings busted is it somehow a motor problem. I've been at this for months and made almost no headway. WHAT IS WRONG!!!!!
fauxhammer is offline Find More Posts by fauxhammer