HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2008, 07:23 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwing54
Yeah, its normal for it to spin faster one way as opposed to the other.

Second, its also normal for it to move a little left or right when using forward stick. Its called "control interaction". When you tilt the swash forward you might also slightly, just a hair, move it left or right causing the heli to move left or right. Why do some move left and some move right ?? It depends on the length of the servo horns, what holes the linkages are installed in and even what type swash your using.

Does anyone have a coax heli that actually goes right when straight forward is input?
I have a Lama3 and Lama 4 and have hundreds of flights on many different sets of parts. Both heli's always go left and forward on forward stick.
Some blade sets make it worse than others but it is always there, at least a little bit. AND, ALWAYS LEFT.

If others have reports of a heli that goes right and froward I would like to learn about it, and anything about the setup, blades, linkages, or swash that you think is relevant.

Both my heli's also turn better to the left. By that I mean when circling left the heli seems to naturally bank to the left and follow its nose, holding it in the circle. Just steady left rudder and forward stick and it will circle all day. When circling to the right it takes constant stick corrections to hold it in the circle. It's sort of always wondering out and wanting to slide sideways rather than follow it's nose.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2008, 07:47 AM
Joined Dec 2007
230 Posts
Is it safe to untie and shorten the antenna? Just received my tail boom and it looks a little bit ugly with it.
s.illes79 is offline Find More Posts by s.illes79
Old Feb 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
Forest Grove, OR
Joined Nov 2007
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.illes79
Is it safe to untie and shorten the antenna? Just received my tail boom and it looks a little bit ugly with it.

I know there are several ways to wrap the antenna up to make it looks nice with an aftermarket boom. You'll have to look around for them. I just left my tied as it came stock and just pushed up into the nose of the helicopter and it looks/works fine.
Oogilily is offline Find More Posts by Oogilily
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:57 AM
pronounce "clawsboob" :o)
Germany
Joined Sep 2006
993 Posts
yes, i have one that drifts to the right when giving forward input.
it is the hughes 500 from BMI. (a bigger coax, 450 mm rotor diameter, in my blog there is a picture of my fleet; it is the big one far right).
its rotors turn the opposite way than on all other coaxes i have/know.
really difficult to fly, because a) it is a very bad heli b) giving small right aileron when applying forward cyclic is in my flesh and blood - so on this heli i produce even worse diagonal movement to the right now...
regards
klaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Does anyone have a coax heli that actually goes right when straight forward is input?
I have a Lama3 and Lama 4 and have hundreds of flights on many different sets of parts. Both heli's always go left and forward on forward stick.
Some blade sets make it worse than others but it is always there, at least a little bit. AND, ALWAYS LEFT.

If others have reports of a heli that goes right and froward I would like to learn about it, and anything about the setup, blades, linkages, or swash that you think is relevant.

Both my heli's also turn better to the left. By that I mean when circling left the heli seems to naturally bank to the left and follow its nose, holding it in the circle. Just steady left rudder and forward stick and it will circle all day. When circling to the right it takes constant stick corrections to hold it in the circle. It's sort of always wondering out and wanting to slide sideways rather than follow it's nose.
klausbub is offline Find More Posts by klausbub
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:32 AM
Joined Jan 2008
194 Posts
My antennea actually came pushed into the canapy out of the box. Worked fine.
zore is offline Find More Posts by zore
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:56 PM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2007
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.illes79
I wouldnt cut it down but I did untie mine, doesnt hurt it at all, I ran mine through the boom then rolled it up and stuffed it all back into the boom, its completely hidden but hasnt affected preformance at all! Oh and to answer someone's question awhile back I do use two links on my flybar, my ext shaft gave me TBE, and without the topcap on it, it doesnt have the tbe anymore, but the flybar is really loose then and could fly off at any time, so two links keep that from happening
Jbeatty is offline Find More Posts by Jbeatty
Last edited by Jbeatty; Feb 15, 2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:13 PM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Goteborg
Joined Aug 2005
718 Posts
IF that is a cf boom you're effectively blocking almost all signal! Just be careful of flying to far out
Frojd is offline Find More Posts by Frojd
Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:00 AM
Hooked on Heli's
Pendleton, Oregon, USA
Joined Nov 2007
89 Posts
I want to upgrade to a 72 mhz 6 channel computerized TX, on my V4. I will use it later on a HBFP or CP. What TX do you recommend or have you guys used.

Rick

My V4 Page: http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Dunes/7600/lamav4.html
RickT4 is offline Find More Posts by RickT4
Last edited by RickT4; Feb 16, 2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:04 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Jan 2008
155 Posts
after I switched to a CF tailboom I didn't like having to deal with the 40" long antenna. You can cut it but it isn't good....its tuned to the wavelength of the transmitter. I bought a base loaded antenna from Azarr for $10 and replaced the stock one. They come in 2 lengths, 7" and 3.5". The 3.5" has plenty distance for this size heli and is easily hidden in the canopy or taped along side the frame
starrman is offline Find More Posts by starrman
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:11 AM
Joined Dec 2007
230 Posts
My lama upgrades:

-blue/black painted harden blades
-vigilante rc tail boom: +3g
-esky alu swash +1.4g
-longer servo arms
-xtreme extended inner shaft (+2g?)
-customized flybar ( removed weights -2.2g, cut rubber, -.0.8g )
-indestructible skid (-1g)
-900ahm battery from rchelicoptershop (-2.9g)
-cut canopy for better ventilation

total weight: 234.1g, used to be 228(with plastic part), I need to find a way to safe more weight and sort the antenna, cos it looks rubbish now

flies like an angle
s.illes79 is offline Find More Posts by s.illes79
Last edited by s.illes79; Feb 16, 2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:55 AM
heliaddict
Finland - Kuusankoski
Joined Jan 2008
141 Posts
Just a remind for...

When antenna wire runs inside carbon boom, that part of antenna wire doesnt be part of antenna anymore.

Oh..if wrapped around cf rod that ackts like a coil.
bacardinen is offline Find More Posts by bacardinen
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:51 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,920 Posts
s.illes79:

I like your heli, nice paint job on the rotor blades. I have a question, how do the skids stand up to breakage? the way they are formed look like they will take a fair bit of abuse. I have a V3 myself and have broken 2 skids in a row. I would love to see a picture of the heli without the canopy to see how the skids and the frame are constructed. I am trying to come up with an idea to make a custom skid for my V3 that is more durable.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Feb 16, 2008, 04:31 PM
Portland, OR USA
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Greetings,
As with most other first time posters, my first post is a question, though I would also like to say thank you for all the valuable info in this thread, and the fact it gave me something to do while I waited for my V4 to arrive.

I did read the entire thread but whether it was just so much to digest or my memory has become faulty, I don't recall many posts about the link breaking between the swash plate and the lower blade holders.

I'm still on my first battery charge and though I was taking it easy I did crash and at first the only damage I found was a cracked blade. Upon changing the damaged blade I spun it up slowly just to make sure everything was working right and to my dismay I still had a problem. Upon closer inspection I discovered one of the links that run between the swash plate and the lower blade holder was broken. There's no other damage I can find.

So my questions are...
Is this uncommon damage and maybe the link was damaged in manufacturing or assembly?
Also it seems the only way to get a replacement for this link is the buy the center hub set, PN EK1-0318, is this correct?

I appreciate any input,
Earl (who's one of the old farts that was mentioned earlier in the thread by a young buck who seemed surprised that old guys have fun too)
earletp is offline Find More Posts by earletp
Old Feb 16, 2008, 04:59 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,920 Posts
Hi Earl:

Don't think you are such an old farth unless you are way older than my 64 years, LOL.

I have had many crashes but have yet to break a link. Yes you have to buy the center hub set but it is cheap. I would get in touch with the vendor and tell them the heli crashed because of a defective link since it is your first flight. If your vendor is someone like Miracle Mart they will waste no time sending you replacement parts.

Good luck.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:09 PM
Portland, OR USA
Joined Feb 2008
118 Posts
Thank you for the response, and it also explains why I haven't seen many references to link breakage, so that's good to know.
I bought from HeliDirect, so we'll see what they say Monday.

You have a couple years on me, so I guess that still puts me with the spring chickens then. heh!!

Thanks again,
Earl
earletp is offline Find More Posts by earletp