HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2007, 06:08 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Oh Yeah, that would do it! I just checked mine. The front motor is pluged in to the lower connector on the 4-1. Both motor connectors have the red wire toward the outside of the 4-1.

Let us know what you find on yours.
I checked mine and it's fine...
still trying to get video...
fauxhammer is offline Find More Posts by fauxhammer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2007, 03:34 PM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
I put the Xtreme longer inner shaft on my heli today. It seems to really help with blade strikes especially since I put the new longer servo horns on. I flew the heli outside a lot today and man is it fast. If I go really crazy I do get blade strike but it happens rarely and I really gotta be pushing the thing. So, overall I HIGHLY recommend the longer horns and the longer inner shaft. This LAMA V4 is a blast to fly outside now. And, it was a bit breezy today and I was able to cope fairly well with this outside. The new tail boom helps too.

I'm thinking about removing the weights off of the fly bar next. Could be interesting.
blkdog7 is offline Find More Posts by blkdog7
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:40 PM
The ever learning newbie
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stersman
You can also make the Xtreme CX/2 skids and canopy fit the V4. The battery tray on the CX2 and the V4 are not the same, but the Xtreme kit uses parts from the factory tray and you can make the kit work on the V4.

Here is my V4 with a CX/2 Xtreme body, skids and boom kit. I removed the fake tail spinner and I added a set of Xtreme carbon fiber fins. By adding the carbon fins and taking off the fake spinner it saves 3 grams which puts the V4 back pretty close to the stock weight.

Is it possible to post some step by step on what you did to get the whole set up to work ? That looks great and the price from Miracle mart on a complete set up looks good as well.
rab23us is offline Find More Posts by rab23us
Old Sep 17, 2007, 01:12 PM
Lovin My Lama V4's
Louisiana
Joined Aug 2007
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab23us
Is it possible to post some step by step on what you did to get the whole set up to work ? That looks great and the price from Miracle mart on a complete set up looks good as well.
rab,

There's really only 1 mod you have to make and that's on the bottom right tail boom support that attaches to the battery mount post. You have to shave it down a small amount. It's completely obvious once you get the kit and takes all of 2 minutes.

Go to page 6 of this thread and you'll see some pics of the tail boom where it mounts to the battey mount posts.

Here's a pic of mine with the tail boom and skids:

I went with the white because of the Xtreme blades. And still waiting on the paint to come in so I can do the Xtreme canopy. There are several places that sell the boom, skids and canopy as a kit and is a little cheaper than buying them seperately.

Make sure you get the Blade CX boom and skids...the Lama 3 stuff doesn't fit.
geauxfast is offline Find More Posts by geauxfast
Old Sep 17, 2007, 01:57 PM
The ever learning newbie
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
Thanks for the information

Thanks for the information G...... I was wondering how those skids attached is all...... I saw the post on the tail boom and that's what led me to the post showing the whole set up.... That particular mod looks great.... I like the white as well......

Ron

Mine before its untimely crash....that I am currently fixing.
rab23us is offline Find More Posts by rab23us
Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:09 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxfast

That looks very cool but it just has to be adding a ton of unnecessary weight to the heli. That's a lot of extra plastic!
Old Sep 17, 2007, 03:19 PM
Lovin My Lama V4's
Louisiana
Joined Aug 2007
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog7
That looks very cool but it just has to be adding a ton of unnecessary weight to the heli. That's a lot of extra plastic!
It does add a little weight but it wasn't much. It's actually a lot lighter than it looks. When it came in I thought it was something else the box was so light.

I didn't break out the scales to check but the compensation adjustments I had to make for the boom were minimal. It actually hovered fine with only the trim moved forward about 3/4 to compensate. After I adjusted the left servo pushrod up about 1.5-2 rounds it now trims almost dead center.

I can't wait to get the new canopy painted and installed. Should set the whole white/black color scheme off very nicely. I'm painting the canopy bright white with transparent black window....then designing/printing my own decals for the outside.

Whatever extra weight it added hasn't affected the flight charactistics indoors that I can tell (it flies much better outdoors now with a little breeze)and I get the same flight times from each pack so for me, the weight was a non-issue...and I love the look.

Now if my paint order would just get here!!!
geauxfast is offline Find More Posts by geauxfast
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:39 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxfast
rab,

There's really only 1 mod you have to make and that's on the bottom right tail boom support that attaches to the battery mount post. You have to shave it down a small amount. It's completely obvious once you get the kit and takes all of 2 minutes.

Go to page 6 of this thread and you'll see some pics of the tail boom where it mounts to the battey mount posts.

Here's a pic of mine with the tail boom and skids:

I went with the white because of the Xtreme blades. And still waiting on the paint to come in so I can do the Xtreme canopy. There are several places that sell the boom, skids and canopy as a kit and is a little cheaper than buying them seperately.

Make sure you get the Blade CX boom and skids...the Lama 3 stuff doesn't fit.
wow!!!!!!! very nice, I can't wait to get my new tailboom cause im dying to put longer servo arms on!
fauxhammer is offline Find More Posts by fauxhammer
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:17 AM
Joined Aug 2007
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog7
I put the Xtreme longer inner shaft on my heli today. It seems to really help with blade strikes especially since I put the new longer servo horns on. I flew the heli outside a lot today and man is it fast. If I go really crazy I do get blade strike but it happens rarely and I really gotta be pushing the thing. So, overall I HIGHLY recommend the longer horns and the longer inner shaft. This LAMA V4 is a blast to fly outside now. And, it was a bit breezy today and I was able to cope fairly well with this outside. The new tail boom helps too.

I'm thinking about removing the weights off of the fly bar next. Could be interesting.
I'm ordering those servo arms! Great job on the mod and thanks for the reports.

I was interested to note that the stock arms on my V4 were obviously sawed off at the factory to fit the body - are they fashioned from the same original arms as you are using, just cut shorter?

blkdog7, what flybar are you using at present? That seems like a logical next move for me performance-wise. Something adjustable would make sense. I'm a newby, but I just gotta have some more ummph. No place to fly indoors, but I can hold it nose-into the breeze ok, up to a point.

Misfire
misfire is offline Find More Posts by misfire
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:30 AM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire
I'm ordering those servo arms! Great job on the mod and thanks for the reports.

I was interested to note that the stock arms on my V4 were obviously sawed off at the factory to fit the body - are they fashioned from the same original arms as you are using, just cut shorter?

blkdog7, what flybar are you using at present? That seems like a logical next move for me performance-wise. Something adjustable would make sense. I'm a newby, but I just gotta have some more ummph. No place to fly indoors, but I can hold it nose-into the breeze ok, up to a point.

Misfire
I am using this flybar here:

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...94&pid=NDYN202

My servo arms were also cut short from the factory. I had to order new ones. If you look at my first post in this thread I have links to the arms, etc. This LAMA V4 of mine really moves fast now. I can totally control it, it's a amazing, it's like a whole new heli since I did all this stuff.

Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:42 AM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
951 Posts
[QUOTE=stersman]I got it at boomtownhobbies. Employee discount.

It is an Xtreme canopy for the CX/2. I had to change the front mounting holes to give it the look I wanted. The paint job is silver paint for lexan with a coat of white behind it to make it pop. The canopies come clear and I recommend you paint them from the inside just like you would with a lexan car body. There is a clear film over the outside to protect from over spray.
[/QUOTE]

I'm very glad that you said that. Received my canopy this a.m., and thought it was just slightly cloudy!!

I wonder how many have been painted and fitted with the film still on?

Or maybe it's just me!
ranavalona is online now Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:21 AM
Joined Aug 2007
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Z Racing
Thanks blkdog7

I kept the servo tape on the back of the boom this put my boom right in the middle of the adjustment.

I am working a new tail design just for the lama v4. The more i Fly it the better i like it. and it was half the money of my BCX2

If anyone is on the fence about BCX2 and lama V4 lama is less money comes with a usb simulator and folding blades.
So now Stateline Hobbies is offering a carbon fiber boom for the V4. Is this new? Does it address the various modding/sagging issues and offer the best solution? Pricy at $30 bills, but free shipping.

Thanks,
Misfire
misfire is offline Find More Posts by misfire
Last edited by misfire; Sep 18, 2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:18 AM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
When you are replacing the stock centre hub and inner shaft with either an upgrade aluminum or longer aluminum shaft (Xtreme), do you need to buy anything else to do the retrofit? I've never made any modifications to my V4 before and don't want to screw it up. Should I also replace the stabilizer with a shorter one at the same time?
bar1967 is offline Find More Posts by bar1967
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:21 AM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar1967
When you are replacing the stock centre hub and inner shaft with either an upgrade aluminum or longer aluminum shaft (Xtreme), do you need to buy anything else to do the retrofit? I've never made any modifications to my V4 before and don't want to screw it up. Should I also replace the stabilizer with a shorter one at the same time?
Nope, you only need the inner shaft. That's it. It's a very easy upgrade. Just undo the bottom collar on the bottom where the gears are. Pop off the bottom gear and then pull the inner shaft out from the top of the heli. Just make sure that when you reinstall the bottom collar that the grub screw hits the flat spot on the innershaft bottom.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2007
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar1967
Should I also replace the stabilizer with a shorter one at the same time?
Some say they are good, but I still have my stock stabilizer, and my helicopters fly great. The more one messes with these little helicopters, seems the more trouble they have with them.
JP4+1 is offline Find More Posts by JP4+1