HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:06 PM
Joined Mar 2006
6 Posts
Deal Extreme parts

Hi,

I have received my Deal Extreme parts and I concur with the assessment that they are not really worth buying. Unlike other reports my inner shaft was perfectly straight but that is about all. The bearing on the swashplate is dented making it useless. The blade holders do not align properly so you can not get a good assembly of them. As reported the balls for the ball links are just a hair bigger and in my opinion unusable. Another issue is that none of the parts will work with the stock parts as they are all of different sizes and alignments. That said, a person with handy with a micro-file could make the blade holders work with just a little effort. For me it is a total loss as I broke my swashplate and a blade holder and I had really counted on being able to use the new ones. As I said, taking a file to the blade holders would get them in shape but the swashplate is another matter that I dont see any way of fixing easily.

Later,
Jon
jmarcure is offline Find More Posts by jmarcure
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:11 PM
Joined Nov 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcure
Hi,

I have received my Deal Extreme parts and I concur with the assessment that they are not really worth buying. Unlike other reports my inner shaft was perfectly straight but that is about all. The bearing on the swashplate is dented making it useless. The blade holders do not align properly so you can not get a good assembly of them. As reported the balls for the ball links are just a hair bigger and in my opinion unusable. Another issue is that none of the parts will work with the stock parts as they are all of different sizes and alignments. That said, a person with handy with a micro-file could make the blade holders work with just a little effort. For me it is a total loss as I broke my swashplate and a blade holder and I had really counted on being able to use the new ones. As I said, taking a file to the blade holders would get them in shape but the swashplate is another matter that I dont see any way of fixing easily.

Later,
Jon
Thanks for the report Jon.

Anyone buying these parts, please go back to the Dealextreme page these parts are sold on and right a review warning others of the risks of buying these, apparently crappy parts. Prospective buyers put a lot of weight on those customer reviews. At least I do.
rotorwing54 is offline Find More Posts by rotorwing54
Old Feb 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
Max, near as I can tell the 4in1 is glued inside its case/plastic wrapper. Is there a way to take it apart without damaging the package?
You can unwrap it carefully and put it back together w/out any damage really. If I recall correctly, there's some foam pieces that are stuck here and there but they're easy to deal with. I actually removed the wrapper from mine altogether to save a few grams of weight (3g as I recall), although of course it does make the unit a bit more vulnerable to damage that way.

Quote:
If the 4in1 I had for sale is not taken (see previous post), I would gladly donate it to the effort of finding a way to hack get signals out to brushless ESC's. If it survived the process I would like to get it back. Now who has a scope and skills for the task? I understand there can be no guarantee of success- but I'd put the 4in1 at risk to give it a go.
Don
That does sound like a fun project. I can't even consider it for the next three weeks, but maybe if no one has stepped up before then... I've never done something quite like that, but I do understand the theory.

-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:38 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarcure
Hi,

Later,
Jon
Strange, I got my Deal Extreme package and installed it a few days ago. Yes I did have to slightly polish the centre shaft with 400 sandpaper. The swashplate was a little tight but some 3 in 1 oil and working it to the extremes for a few minutes solved that.

I used the stock blade holders as I have heard in both the V3 and V4 posts that they were not the best, be they Deal Extreme or the better Esky ones. Yet other users have used them no problem, either brand.

After triming and leveling my V3 handled better than ever. I did not wait to order another set it is on the way.

It may have helped that I have worked with the calibtation and repairing of measuring equipment, such as micrometers, vernier calipers and all types of precision equipment, for years before I retired.

The balls seem a little tighter but does not affect the handling, like I said it flies better than the stock parts.

The flybar holder also has to be loosened up, I put the cap on and installed the screws. I then worked the flybar until it was free and sloppy.

The only time I did any filing was to remove a little plastic from the bottom stock blade grips.

All my parts have worked with the stock parts. The only problem was that the screws that go into the top holes of the outer shaft are too long, use the stock screws and locktite.

I have done extensive research in this forum regarding the Esky metal upgrades and have found a lot of the same problems were reported with those.

If I was to leave feedback at Deal Extreme it would have to be positive.

Am I lucky? I will find out when I get the next set and instal them.
frieslander is offline Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:03 PM
Edina/Mankato MN
Joined Jan 2008
16 Posts
i too have had a rather good experience with the DX parts. i still need to make some adjustments to the swash, but it is far more responsive than before. i even used the blade grips, while i can easily see how people would hate them, i was able to get them to work and they have a firm grip on the blades while still allowing them to slide back and forth smoothly.

there are two things to keep in mind with the DX parts... your part rolling the dice on their quality, and you need to be smarter than the parts when you install them.... this means taking your time, using grease and thread lock, and looking for problems and potential problems.
G2mk3 is offline Find More Posts by G2mk3
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
Joined Jan 2008
118 Posts
anyone know if a cx2 motor will fit on the lama 4 without modifications?
rapala is offline Find More Posts by rapala
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:54 PM
Registered Heli Addict
SoCal, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2007
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by equus
hi guys .. after a few chrashes i have a lot of vibration, im confused with the tracking, balancing thing, tried to balance the blades and looks fine , but the tracking im loose ..
The inner shaft looks straight and the main too
Help please '''
You adjust the upper blade tracking by adjusting the Control Link length.
milsurp53 is offline Find More Posts by milsurp53
Old Feb 12, 2008, 07:49 PM
United States, TX, Hidalgo
Joined Jun 2006
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milsurp53
You adjust the upper blade tracking by adjusting the Control Link length.
sorry if sounds stupid but do i need to extend the link or shorten it...
Thanks
equus is offline Find More Posts by equus
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:44 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,588 Posts
I just turn it a half turn in one direction. If tracking gets worse, turn it a full turn back the other way. If it got better try another 1/2 turn and so on.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:17 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by equus
hi guys .. after a few chrashes i have a lot of vibration, im confused with the tracking, balancing thing, tried to balance the blades and looks fine , but the tracking im loose ..
The inner shaft looks straight and the main too
Help please '''
Had a similar problem too after replacing broken blades, and could't get the tracking right. I got rid of most of the vibration after switching to another set of blades. Maybe the first set was unbalanced and/or had uneven twist.
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:27 PM
Joined Jun 2006
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
I just turn it a half turn in one direction. If tracking gets worse, turn it a full turn back the other way. If it got better try another 1/2 turn and so on.
After playing with the link, still shaking, checked the flybar and seems ok...what else could be ..
Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2008, 09:38 PM
Joined Jun 2006
184 Posts
i just found this video looks like my but is not my heli , look at the upper rotor shake...
Lama V4 eiert in regelm. Abschnitten (0 min 47 sec)
Last edited by equus; Feb 13, 2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:29 AM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
whoo. Just got back from flying my heli in my living room. I had a small blade strike (Some nicks in the bottom and upper blade one side each set) and now I have TBE. My shaft looks perfectly straight, my flybar, LOOKS straight. Anything else? I have once or twice gotten very low tbe, and I just recharged my battery and it was gona. Let's see if this happens again!
rawfuls is offline Find More Posts by rawfuls
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:57 AM
Joined Jun 2006
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Audette
Had a similar problem too after replacing broken blades, and could't get the tracking right. I got rid of most of the vibration after switching to another set of blades. Maybe the first set was unbalanced and/or had uneven twist.
mmmmm let me try it ... Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:02 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapala
anyone know if a cx2 motor will fit on the lama 4 without modifications?
The stock motors are identical on both helis, as are several other parts.
banjoben is offline Find More Posts by banjoben