SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:41 PM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRTIC
So have all of these upgrades been purely cosmetic, or are there any performance gains. It seems to me that my BCX had faster forward flight and maneuverability than the V4. Has anyone installed longer servo arms in theirs to boost their control inputs? Just wondering.
The mods are definitely not cosmetic. The aluminum inner shaft solved a major issue, the fly bar flying off. The shorter fly bar cut down on blade strikes. I broke my skids, the new ones are indestructible. I kept cracking my stock tail and the new one is much lighter and break resistant and better outside in the breeze. The Xtreme blades are worth their weight in gold. I broke two sets of stock blades in 30 minutes. Have yet to put a dent in the Xtreme blades. The aluminum swashplate is much more durable and has less slop in it. The Xtreme motors are the only thing that I am not sure about. They might last longer and you might get more flight time but I can't say for sure.

I have the longer inner shaft, that's going on next. Should help even further with blade strike. After that I'm gonna throw the longer servo arms on. I have the parts I just want to do one thing at a time so I don't throw this thing out of whack. It really flies AMAZING right now so I'm gonna take my time before adding the other stuff. I'm having too much fun!
blkdog7 is offline Find More Posts by blkdog7
Last edited by blkdog7; Sep 12, 2007 at 08:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:50 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
um... any suggestions on my question???
fauxhammer is offline Find More Posts by fauxhammer
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:58 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxhammer
I had the problem of my lama spinning around in the air just spinning not tbe but uncontrllable spinning. I was told I need new bearings so I got some, same problem. could it be the swash bearing cause I didn't replace that one.
Not sure about the bearings but I had a similar issue...

Is it just spinning in one direction? Mine used to do this then I adjusted the 4 in 1 to compensate. It always turned clockwise and I couldn't trim it out. So.. Turn the proportional dial on the 4 in 1 in the direction the TAIL is moving or, turn it the opposite direction the nose is turning. So, if the nose is turning clockwise then turn the 4 in 1 dial counter clockwise. Do small adjustments at a time then test fly it then adjust more as needed. Unplug your battery before you make mess with the 4 in 1s dials. I usually do this stuff with the canopy off. Makes it very easy.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 05:48 AM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Feb 2007
906 Posts
blkdog - your sagging boom is only going to get worse until you brace the mounting post as I did in this pic;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1455118

It was never meant to take the strain of the "O" ring.

Instead of bent piano wire, you could devise something from a suitable adjustable control link or turnbuckle if you have any lying around.

Of course, you need one each side.
ranavalona is online now Find More Posts by ranavalona
Old Sep 13, 2007, 07:35 AM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
Longer servo arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRTIC
So have all of these upgrades been purely cosmetic, or are there any performance gains. It seems to me that my BCX had faster forward flight and maneuverability than the V4. Has anyone installed longer servo arms in theirs to boost their control inputs? Just wondering.
I installed longer servo arms, it makes a MASSIVE difference. Be warned, go easy on the roll arms, the heli will easily fall on its side if you over-do it.

The heli rips along with the longer arms, but is significantly harder to fly. I removed an inch at each end from the already shortened flybar as well as some other mods to compliment the longer arms.

The change in flight dynamic is so great that my heli is currently awaiting new upper and lower blade grips and new skids - i had a massive prang onto concrete...

I will post pics and details of the finished job once my repair parts arrive
lama lama duck is offline Find More Posts by lama lama duck
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:14 AM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranavalona
blkdog - your sagging boom is only going to get worse until you brace the mounting post as I did in this pic;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1455118

It was never meant to take the strain of the "O" ring.

Instead of bent piano wire, you could devise something from a suitable adjustable control link or turnbuckle if you have any lying around.

Of course, you need one each side.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I am heading to the hardware store this weekend looking for some suitable wire.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 05:17 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog7
Not sure about the bearings but I had a similar issue...

Is it just spinning in one direction? Mine used to do this then I adjusted the 4 in 1 to compensate. It always turned clockwise and I couldn't trim it out. So.. Turn the proportional dial on the 4 in 1 in the direction the TAIL is moving or, turn it the opposite direction the nose is turning. So, if the nose is turning clockwise then turn the 4 in 1 dial counter clockwise. Do small adjustments at a time then test fly it then adjust more as needed. Unplug your battery before you make mess with the 4 in 1s dials. I usually do this stuff with the canopy off. Makes it very easy.
In my case it will spin either way and super quickly; almost as fast as the blades but i'll try anything...
Old Sep 13, 2007, 05:23 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
In my case it will spin either way and super quickly; almost as fast as the blades but i'll try anything...
You didn't happen to reverse the motor's polarity by mistake, did you? Are both blades spinning in the same direction?? They should be spinning in opposite directions to each other. If the polarity on one of the motors is not right then both blades and the heli will all spin in the same direction.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 05:54 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
You didn't happen to reverse the motor's polarity by mistake, did you? Are both blades spinning in the same direction?? They should be spinning in opposite directions to each other. If the polarity on one of the motors is not right then both blades and the heli will all spin in the same direction.
I powered it up whole it was in my hand and it didn't seem to be tugging at all in one direction but i'll check. Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:05 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Quote:

If it sometimes spins one way and sometimes the other, it is not motors connected improperly. If both rotors turn the same way the heli would always spin the opposite direction. Similiarly if one motor had a bad brush or broken wire (any type if intermitant electrical connection) it would always spin the same way and drop altitude. I think any bad bearing would would act the same, sudden drops in altitude and spin always in the same direction.

It sure sounds like the heading gyro in the 4 in 1 is not working. I can think of 4 reasons that might happen. 1) the gyro is dead; 2) the gain adjustment was set way to high; 3) a bad connection inside the 4-1, between the receiver and gyro (it could be a loose connector); 4) Finally, it could also be a bad pot or pot connection in the transmitter.

Have you done anything that may have caused the gyro to stop working or be way out of adjustment?

What occured just before this started to happen? A hard landing? Disassembly of of some type? Dropped the transmitter?

When it is spinning does it respond to the "rudder" stick at all? While spinning one way does it ever reverse and go the other way?
Can you show us a video?
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:16 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr
If it sometimes spins one way and sometimes the other, it is not motors connected improperly. If both rotors turn the same way the heli would always spin the opposite direction. Similiarly if one motor had a bad brush or broken wire (any type if intermitant electrical connection) it would always spin the same way and drop altitude. I think any bad bearing would would act the same, sudden drops in altitude and spin always in the same direction.

It sure sounds like the heading gyro in the 4 in 1 is not working. I can think of 4 reasons that might happen. 1) the gyro is dead; 2) the gain adjustment was set way to high; 3) a bad connection inside the 4-1, between the receiver and gyro (it could be a loose connector); 4) Finally, it could also be a bad pot or pot connection in the transmitter.

Have you done anything that may have caused the gyro to stop working or be way out of adjustment?

What occured just before this started to happen? A hard landing? Disassembly of of some type? Dropped the transmitter?

When it is spinning does it respond to the "rudder" stick at all? While spinning one way does it ever reverse and go the other way?
Can you show us a video?
I'll try and get video...
but out of your qs. a crash happened and it doesn't respond to rudder and it never reverces unless somthing pushes it the other way...
Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:30 PM
it was a funny crash
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
102 Posts
Quote:
That looks really great. I love that canopy. I really like tail too, I kind of hate the fake propeller look on the standard Xtreme. Nice!
how did you get the skids on, any modding???
I would rather have those then those 20$ lamav4.com ones
ps will these go on the blade cx xtreme tailboom
http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/in...oducts_id=1356
Last edited by fauxhammer; Sep 14, 2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:17 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
I had a major breakthrough tonight! Well, the other night I really dialed my heli in. It was absolutely perfect. Perfect hover, everything nice and centered. Yes!

So, I took it to the park today for the first time. I had an absolute blast. It was a nice calm evening and it flew wonderfully. I am in love. BUT, really LAME forward flight. It flew forward, but it wasn't exciting enough for me.

So.... I said this it... time to put the longer servo horns on. I was a little scared to do it. My heli is absolutely dialed in. It flies like a dream. But, I took the chance and boy am I glad! Mind you, I have only tested it indoors but so far it is fantastic. TONS of forward movement. Maybe 100% faster. The thing moves and with authority. I CAN NOT WAIT to try this outside tomorrow. I had ZERO blade strike today before I put the servo arms on. And, was getting pretty brave with the maneuvers. I have very high hopes that she is gonna fly the same but faster with the new servo arms.

I bought these servo arms here:

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=2378

I bought them at Tower Hobbies. The HiTec part# is PN55708 - They are HS-50/55 Horn sets. You will need two packages. I used the biggest two post arm.

You have to cut one side off of them to use them. I then put the rod in the second hole. I eyeballed the position when I put the arms on the servo trying to keep the swashplate as level as possible as I mounted them. After the arms were screwed in I then leveled the swashplate by eye by powering the chopper, centering the servos and then popping the ball joints off then tightening or loosening the linkage. I did this over and over 'til the swashplate appeared level. After that, I took her for a spin. The first flight she really spun clockwise. So, I popped the canopy and adjusted the 4in1's proportional adjustment COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. I got lucky, I hit the sweet spot. The chopper was AGAIN totally dialed in. YES! Perfect hover. After that I flew it all over my living room with authority and at some high speeds I've never experienced with my V4. I'll report back after I bring her to the park.

Here are some photos!
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:45 PM
(AKA, bob)
Joined Aug 2007
21 Posts
Quote:
I had the problem of my lama spinning around in the air just spinning not tbe but uncontrllable spinning. I was told I need new bearings so I got some, same problem. could it be the swash bearing cause I didn't replace that one.
I had a similar problem, thought I had burnt out the 4in1 or a motor. My problem was not the polarity of one motor, but that I had swapped the motors over on the 4in1. As soon as a spin started, the gyro would attempt to correct, increasing the spin etc....

This might explain no tugging whilst you were holding it still in your hand.

Also, for any Aussies out there, the servo arms are here: http://www.wattsuprc.com.au/product_...sp?pid=Hitec06

$3.00 per set (you need 2) and $6.50 to ship anywhere in Australia, usually in under 24hrs!
lama lama duck is offline Find More Posts by lama lama duck
Last edited by lama lama duck; Sep 13, 2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 09:24 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lama lama duck
I had a similar problem, thought I had burnt out the 4in1 or a motor. My problem was not the polarity of one motor, but that I had swapped the motors over on the 4in1. As soon as a spin started, the gyro would attempt to correct, increasing the spin etc......
Oh Yeah, that would do it! I just checked mine. The front motor is pluged in to the lower connector on the 4-1. Both motor connectors have the red wire toward the outside of the 4-1.

Let us know what you find on yours.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr