SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:16 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Painting Elapor foam

I was asked how I painted my Easy Star which is made of Elapor Foam. Some may already know how it is done but for those who do not, this is how I did it.

1) Lightly sand down your plane with fine grit sandpaper, just to remove some of the bumps and allow the paint to grab something when applied.

2) With a cloth, soak it with Methyl Alcohol (camp stove fuel) or Acetone and wipe down the WHOLE PLANE! At the factory, a oily substance is place into the mold so it makes it easier for them to remove the finished foam parts out. We have to remove that oily substance in order for the paint to stick to the foam!

3) Use Krylon FUSION paint for plastic. Sticks quite well since we in North America can not buy the Multiplex Primer because it is not approved for some reason I do not know.

4) DO NOT USE Tamiya Acrylic spray paint. It tends to eat the foam and I think it may have something to do with the butane content in it. You will see a hole it made when I first applied the paint but then covered it up with Krylon after. I will fill the hole after but in the mean time it's a good example for you all to see.

I hope after posting this, we should see some really fun and interesting color schematics on our Elapor/EPP foam planes. Have fun everyone!!

JMS
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:57 AM
alexandria, va, USA
Joined Oct 2006
405 Posts
nice jmstech. i recently did my twinstar II. wish i had your instructions then. the procedure i used was a combination of all the advise i'd found in other threads.
4mla1fn is offline Find More Posts by 4mla1fn
Last edited by 4mla1fn; Aug 15, 2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 01:06 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
WOW!!! A lot of work but looks very rewarding! Awesome job on the Twotter! Funny thing... you made a Canadian plane and I made a British plane!

Did you print your own decals as well? I just just printed mine on regular sticky paper with my color laser printer then sprayed clear coat over the decals. Works so far and repels water
Old Aug 15, 2007, 01:24 AM
alexandria, va, USA
Joined Oct 2006
405 Posts
yes, i created my own decals based on the real twotter scheme. i used water-slide decal paper for inkjet. (this comes in both white and clear background. i got the pack with 10 of each.) it was a lot of work but fun, and the end product was definately worth it. having done it once, i now know which steps to skip/modify next time. i'm planning easystar #2 right now.
Last edited by 4mla1fn; Aug 15, 2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 01:36 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
VERY COOL I look forward to seeing your EZ* # 2!!!!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 07:03 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,963 Posts
Wow beautifull work, interesting info here.
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Aug 15, 2007, 08:29 AM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
Thanks for posting this! Its very usefull Nicely done planes guys!

Damian
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old Aug 15, 2007, 02:24 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,789 Posts
Gee that twin looks ace. I still wonder how some can have the pationce of doing such work on a piece of foam... It might have to do with me using them mainly as testbeds with short life expectancy...
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:36 PM
alexandria, va, USA
Joined Oct 2006
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
I still wonder how some can have the pationce of doing such work on a piece of foam...
i think it's worth it *because* it is foam; crash-tolerant, easy to repair, etc. i don't know if i'd put this kind of effort into a balsa plane. (maybe balsa is more resilient than i'm giving it credit. dunno.)
Old Aug 17, 2007, 02:05 AM
Just Plane Fun
Yakima, WA
Joined Feb 2007
69 Posts
WoW! That's how I was gonna paint mine! I saw it years ago here in Yakima and even have my monitor background displaying it. You should put this up on plawner.net. He has lots of pictures of Twinstars from all over the World on display.
jwilder1 is online now Find More Posts by jwilder1
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:14 AM
alexandria, va, USA
Joined Oct 2006
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilder1
WoW! That's how I was gonna paint mine!
i can send you the art i created (as color PDFs) if you're interested. if you have coreldraw or adobe illustrator, i can send you that format also (or most any other, for that matter).

Quote:
You should put this up on plawner.net..
yeah, i've sent it to him.
Last edited by 4mla1fn; Aug 18, 2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:30 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilder1
WoW! That's how I was gonna paint mine! I saw it years ago here in Yakima and even have my monitor background displaying it. You should put this up on plawner.net. He has lots of pictures of Twinstars from all over the World on display.
It's a work of art!!! I would be to scared to fly it since it looks like it should be enjoyed on a stand!
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:24 AM
alexandria, va, USA
Joined Oct 2006
405 Posts
nah, it's easy enough to recreate if needed. she's taken a bit of a beating since those pictures, but still looks sweet in the air.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:07 PM
Joined May 2007
64 Posts
Krylon H2O

I used Krylon H2O (a latex paint) and it works fine too. It doesn't affect the elapor foam at all. It may not stay on as well as Krylon Fusion though.
greenjohnsmith is offline Find More Posts by greenjohnsmith
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:27 AM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Austria, Stmk., Neudau
Joined Jun 2006
823 Posts
Absolutely awesome paintjob 4mla1fn ! And I like the tribladed props on the TS .

/Erwin
_helitron_ is offline Find More Posts by _helitron_