HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2007, 06:29 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,032 Posts
Discussion
lama v4 botom blades tracking

Top tracking is done wih the ball link but what about the botum blades?
I have a wierd vibration that couses one blade to vibrate out of track every 1/2 sec or so.

any sugestions?
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2007, 01:09 AM
Joined Jun 2007
31 Posts
same problem here, not sure how to solve it
sschulze is offline Find More Posts by sschulze
Old Aug 14, 2007, 01:12 AM
in the middle, somewhere...
Joined Jun 2007
199 Posts
check outer and inner shaft straightness and swashplate for becoming separated.

See if the servo arms are jittering, or if it is just the swash, or even just the lower blades or head themselves.

perhaps spin up the shafts without blades, one at a time, and see if there is still vibration? With or without the flybar installed. (it can throw the upper head into oscillation, causing vibrations in the outer shaft)
CanardianFan is offline Find More Posts by CanardianFan
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
Joined Jun 2006
762 Posts
you have to twist the blades in order to add/remove pitch. imo, its better to add pitch to the lower blade. it take quite a bit of twist because the blade will spring back. its one of those trail and error things.
ktm520 is offline Find More Posts by ktm520
Old Aug 14, 2007, 07:29 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,032 Posts
canadianfan ; i balance blades / flybar by disconencting the other motor and then add tape to the middle of one blade then test , move to the other blade if vibrations increased or add more if they became less untill it runs smooth.
Also spin up top with flybar only to check ballance and then balance the top blades liek the botum ones and set tracking.
my swash is the aluminium one as is the lower head / bladegrips ; top is stock plastic.
Servo's are fine too btw and the axles are strigth too
i think some of the problem is resonace frequency since it does not happen with only the botum running.
It shows also by the tail vibrating UP-DOWN and not left right like unballanced blades would.

so there is a lot i need to learn about this heli
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Mar 04, 2009, 01:17 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1 Posts
Blade balancing

It may sound very basic but the simplest way to balance blades top or bottom is to take them off the helo, bolt them together and 'hang' them over a knife blade above a flat hard surface. If one blade is heavier than the other, the distance to the surface will be different. Small strips of insulation tape make very good balance weights.....it's a walk in the park and will smooth out miscellaneous vibration.
Try this before you go to the trouble of dismantling the drive mechanisms....good luck
Lofty501 is offline Find More Posts by Lofty501
Old Mar 04, 2009, 05:02 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
This is a problem for me too. BTW, this should be in the Lama 4 thread, but that being said, why don't any of you guys ever post there? There's good stuff in there.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack