HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gp125racer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:59 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,898 Posts
Yippee!
GWS maiden (and bbq)......

So today was the day. It was time to maiden the franken-mosa .... I mean the formosa. I arrived out at the field and it was a little windy for my liking but for some odd reason the wind died down to an acceptable level. Jim (jamesdr), was there to assist me with my maiden. He gave the plane a once over, and after reversing each channel (except the throttle ... I got that one right), we decided it was time to fly this bird. I have to say the maiden flight went really really well. Two clicks of left trim and two up and she was pretty steady. I really enjoy the smoothness of this airframe. It turns so well, and the rudder has great authority.

After the uneventful maiden, and a piece of Jims birthday cake, it was time to fly again. Unfortunately, while securing the hatch with my high tech hat pin, I managed to puncture my lipo pack.

After the smoke break, Jim suggested I try and fly it. After a good laugh, I figured out he was serious ... so I started assessing the damage. Fortunately all that basswood I used to reinforce the airframe, also kept the electronics from cooking up. All in All it required some glue for the broken hinges and some tape to hold the canopy on as I was now lacking some surface area on it. To my suprise, it flew well and I managed to take her home in one piece.

Thanks to Jim and Todd for all the encouragement, and help!
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2007, 01:24 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
I've split open lipos before and have seen serious ruptures cause a fire but this was just freaky/funny. It was litterally just a pin prick and WOOSH!! tons of smoke coming out. But as Don said, once we got the cooked parts out, the Franken-mosa flew just fine with additional cooling.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Aug 14, 2007, 04:23 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Hats off to your sense of humor Jim,Its too bad not all of us can find humor at times like this.Most of will curse and throw whatever happens to be in reach...too bad we all cant be like you..Thanks for the laugh,especially the "After the smoke break" comment..

Don..
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare