Model; Typhoon (Eurofighter)
wingspan; 19"
length; 27"
AUW; 132g
Motors; 2 x Fiego 12mm micro brushless
Fans; 36mm own design ply and balsa
Power; 3s 300mah lipo
thrust; 100g
construction; wings canards and fin from depron, fuselage hot wire cut in 27 sections from blue foam (2 weeks of cutting!!)
Rx; presently falcon 6ch synth prototype, only flown with standard falcon Rx though.
servos; 2 x 3.6g on elevons

Rich.
rchant is offline Find More Posts by rchant
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:17 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
well its not so much a "jet" as it is an edf model. doesnt look like any plane. just a wing with a fan.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:27 AM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
alittle on the larger side but...

- wingspan 20in
- gws edf40
- feigao 5300kv motor
- 2 tower pro 5gram servos
- gws 4ch rx
- cc10
- tp 730 3 cell
- aileron and elevator.
- all bluecor

still flying. i get comments like when it is ever going to grow up. i guess cuz it looks so baby looking.
igo is offline Find More Posts by igo
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:55 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2006
4,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
well its not so much a "jet" as it is an edf model. doesnt look like any plane. just a wing with a fan.
Stop being a tease and post it, Derk! ;-)
msnyder is offline Find More Posts by msnyder
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:04 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
rich, that typhoon is looking great. Is there any build thread about it. Any info about the duct? Are the canards fixed? What about flight performance?

Chris
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
occasional browser
Blackbush, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2004
84 Posts
Chris,
the fan is as you see in the picture, 36mm dia 3-blade ply and balsa, with a blue foam spinner. the intake ducting it cut out at the same time as the fuselage sections which surround it, makes it extra complicated. tailpipes are just rolled paper tubes, i did make up a mould tool for an area ruled tailpipe, constant area from the fan most of the way back with a taper at the end, but every tome i attempted to mould it in lightweight glass it was either to floppy to get off the mould tool in usable condition or too heavy.
the fan unit ducts are rolled balsa tube with CNC cut carbon rings for rigity, it is much stiffer and much stronger than any of the plastic GWS shrouds which i have had.

Flight performance is very good, i am experimenting with a different motor, trying to get the thrust up and the weight down, going for 1:1. and canards are on a pivot, but are fixed in position at the moment, i do intend to experiment with them somtime, just havn't got round to it yet.

did you know that if you remove the 6" wire leg from a GWS retract unit and replace it with a carbon one 1.5" long it only weighs 1.4g, get the idea

Rich.
rchant is offline Find More Posts by rchant
Old Aug 14, 2007, 02:10 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
heres my entry:
2.1 oz auw
18" ws
2 2.5 ba servos
berg 4ch Rx
cc tb9 controller
edf 30 with the m.m. edf outrunner
2s 150mah venom lipoly

flys for about 6-7 minutes with throttle management
glides real nice. very snappy roll and pitch yet stable hands off.
not sure on the thrust output, its rated for 40 grams but i think mine might be a little less because i didnt get the impellor perfectly straight when drilling to fit the shaft
Old Aug 14, 2007, 02:33 PM
Micro Jet Pilot
Joined Jul 2005
2,091 Posts
derk, I think you don't get all the thrust because of your lipo. At 20C, the voltage must have dropped considerably.

Chris
Chris T is offline Find More Posts by Chris T
Old Aug 14, 2007, 03:29 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
well, i do know that these are under rated packs and can handle it but i really didnt like the weight of the larger packs. i have a 2s 270 thats good at almost 4 amps but it weighs much more than these ones do. are there any other packs with similar weight but that can hold the voltage under load that you would recommend?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 03:50 PM
igo
Joined Apr 2004
981 Posts
one more

this one has since been decommissioned... okay, it crashed. the motor is from an estes sport jet but the motor is a cd rom. rolls were very fast and flew great...until i crashed it.
igo is offline Find More Posts by igo
Old Aug 14, 2007, 04:27 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,326 Posts
Derk-is that Mr. Bones, the design by Dave Roeblen? It looks very similar. As for a batt, the 2s 250mah FullRiver packs hold voltage pretty well, about 12g for the pack.
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Aug 14, 2007, 04:34 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
signflyer, yeah its scaled down by 6" and updated with lipo and brushless. also a smaller edf
Old Aug 15, 2007, 10:35 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,009 Posts
EDF 30 Sukhoi update

So, heres whats been happening with my Sukhoi. 1st test flights happened almost a month ago, and it did not go well initially. So, as predicted, the nose was wasted in no time. It always flew straight after a launch, and would suddenly nose up, vertical, torque roll and stall.....the rest is oh so known! It turns out that it was a defective Falcon breeze block, which Falcon called Dead when I sent it back to them. The were really nice and promptly replaced it with a new one.

The plane now has a EPP nose, I'll upload a pic soon. We flew it this morning, and all I can say is WOW! Wind was gusty, but I was determined. We flew on some tall grass just to be sure. Dad launched the plane and I think either the launch was a little gentle, or I was conservative on my throttle setting. It took 2-3 secs to build up speed, and it looked like it just WANTED to fly, so I pulled up on the elevator and WOW, did it move or what! It very quickly gained about 30' altitude and it sounded way too cool in the air. I just flew one largish right hand circuit and landed it because the weather was less than ideal, but I was excited! Speed was good, even into the wind. We'll know more soon, hopefully we'll fly again tomorrow, video and pics will come soon I'm hooked on to this lil bugger!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702593
-Uttam
Uttam1 is offline Find More Posts by Uttam1
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:08 PM
Master of Flying Wings......
Joined Jul 2008
492 Posts
I plan to build a micro 747!!!!!!, its going to be a great winter project!. 4 micro edfs running on a 600mah 3s lipo
flyingwing12 is offline Find More Posts by flyingwing12
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:20 PM
duct tape and hot glue
Olympia,WA
Joined Dec 2009
294 Posts
THat'll be awsome!!!! try to post a build log
bungholio is offline Find More Posts by bungholio