Thank's
Sixter
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2002, 03:44 PM
Dallas Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2002
111 Posts
I don't think they are the same. Did the GP stuff come in an accordion folded 50 foot long bundle? Is it 1/4" thick? Are the folded panels 2' x 4'? Does it have a thin skin on the outside of both sides of it that can be peeled off easily? These questions describe the Dow Bluecor fan fold foam that I have been using from Lowes. I don't recall seeing any other fan fold type of foam there. The only other foam I saw there was some huge, flat sheets of some other kind of real thick foam.

RC Pete
RC Pete is offline Find More Posts by RC Pete
Old Nov 18, 2002, 04:00 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
The Answer is: Probably

Sixter,

Geogia Pacific, and Dow have some kind of reciprocal agreement. I have packs of both, and both have the "BlueCor" Trademark. So, without seeing it, I can't be sure, but if it's in a fan-folded bundle, and the sheets are approx. 1/4" thick, then I'd say that you've found it.

There are pictures of the bundle, and more info here:

http://www.FoamFly.com/1_2.htm

Hope that helps you out.
-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Nov 18, 2002, 05:39 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Dec 2001
287 Posts
I got my first bundle from Lowes last week, It also says Georga Pacific. When I got it home I realized that it has waves in it, not a single flat panel in the bundle. Is this typical? Any way to get the waves out?

Thanks
Rick
rtucker is offline Find More Posts by rtucker
Old Nov 18, 2002, 06:49 PM
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
Just part of the territory, unfortunately.

Hey Rick,

Yes, some (most) of the bundles have waves in them. It's annoying, but it's not too much trouble to work around. I usually pull all the bundles off the shelf while I'm shopping, and pick the flattest one I can find.

You can easily put them to good use though. I run the waves chord-wise on wings, and they look like wing ribs. I run them parallel to hinge lines on control surfaces so they don't interfere with the tape. It's really not too bad.

-Dan
Old Nov 18, 2002, 07:00 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Dec 2001
287 Posts
Thanks Dan,

I'm headin back to Lowes to search for the Perfect bundle, Else, my Xbow will look like it has indigestion~~~~~.

How much you guys payin for the Lowes bluecor? I just looked at my receipt and it was 18.99 plus tax. Sound about right?
rtucker is offline Find More Posts by rtucker
Old Nov 18, 2002, 07:21 PM
USA, OR, Aloha
Joined Dec 2000
142 Posts
Count Your Blessings

RT -

Some of us wish that the local stores stocked even the ~~~~~wavey~~~~~~ stuff! This insulation does not appear to be used much in the more moderate climates (Oregon). I can only find the foam with foil on one side and will pay about $35 per bundle.

- Falcon
falcon is offline Find More Posts by falcon
Old Nov 20, 2002, 12:02 AM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
777 Posts
Hippo "Thank's"

The GP Fan Fold Foam is 24"x48", 1/4" thick and it has a Bluecor U P Barcode sticker on it! So I guess it's the same as the Dow Corning stuff!! I got the best looking bundle that they had,but it's full of waves. I am going to build a 20" Up. I would like some info
about your Battery Pack's.

Thank's
Sixter
Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:50 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
The UP sounds like a lot of fun.

Sixter,

I'm going to have to build one of those for myself one of these days. It just seems like there's never enough time...

Here's the specs on the Li-Ion cells: Each cell is 46mm x 34mm x 8mm, or 1 7/8" x 1 3/8" x 5/16", and each weighs about 1.3oz, or 38g. They make packs that are a little smaller than the Qualcomms, but weigh about the same as a typical 6 cell GWS pack. With almost 4 TIMES THE CAPACITY!!! (950mAh) Each cell is 3.6-4.2V (depending on how full it it) and you can double the voltage by wiring two cells in series. (+ to -)

So, a pack is twice as thick as one cell, or about 17mm thick. These cells handle 3 amps easily, and seem to have had no trouble with more. I'm testing them with draws over 4 amps currently, I'll let you know. I certainly hope they perform well, but I have no connection with the manufacturer, so they are what they are.

If you haven't seen the pictures, you can see weights, and size comparisons here:

http://www.FoamFly.com/gallery/view_...bumName=Li-Ion

The charger has a max output of 300mA, and if the pack is completely empty it take about 4.5 hours to charge the battery. Normal charge time is about 2.5 hours. The Charger is fully automatic. (That can be a good or a bad thing depending on you point of view.) So, there's nothing to set or adjust. The charger comes with at 12V power supply so that you can use it in the house. If you want to use it off your car battery, you'll need to make a cable so that you can plug it in there.

The charger is selling for $15, without any plugs. There are photos on the site that show you just where to solder your wire to the board, OR, you can buy the charger with a JST plug on it for $20

You can order them right off the website here: http://www.FoamFly.com/batteries.htm

Just let me know if you have any other questions.
-Dan
Old Nov 20, 2002, 12:27 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
falcon - I completely understand your frustration. The only choice I had was to go with the foil FFF. Had some reservations at first, but I like it now. Slightly heavier but model looks better. I paid $42 w/ taxes in Seattle. Still comes in under $2 per panel, so most planes (S400 and smaller) cost only a few bucks. I'd go for it if I were you.
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Old Nov 20, 2002, 01:24 PM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
777 Posts
Sturdy Board

My BlueCor is very wavey, so I went to Wal Mart and got a couple sheet's of Sturdy Board. The Sturday Board is perfect as far as being flat! The only problem is getting the paper off! I have read of two methods of removing the paper. One is to soak it, then pell it off. The other is too just carefully peel the paper off without soaking it! Anyone have any experience with paper removal! Going to build a Up.

Sixter
Last edited by Sixter; Nov 20, 2002 at 01:28 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 01:51 PM
vancouver, bc
Joined Feb 2002
155 Posts
Re: Sturdy Board

Quote:
Originally posted by Sixter
My BlueCor is very wavey, so I went to Wal Mart and got a couple sheet's of Sturdy Board. The Sturday Board is perfect as far as being flat! The only problem is getting the paper off! I have read of two methods of removing the paper. One is to soak it, then pell it off. The other is too just carefully peel the paper off without soaking it! Anyone have any experience with paper removal! Going to build a Up.

Sixter
black foamboard can usually be peeled without soaking.

white foamboard... yuk!

best thing is to cut out the peices you need, then submerge them for 10 mins. peel off what comes easily, soak for another 10 mins.

then rub, rub, rub... rub, rub... rub... rub, rub, rub... until the foam is free of all paper.
notoatmeal is offline Find More Posts by notoatmeal