HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:56 PM
Rainy Western Oregon
Joined Feb 2005
207 Posts
I think this link will get you to yhe You-tube video of my SeaWind maiden.

GP SeaWind RC (3 min 36 sec)
Volts is offline Find More Posts by Volts
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:32 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
Looks like it's flying great. Under the bridge! Under the bridge!

What happened to your nacelle cowl?

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Mar 01, 2010, 11:38 AM
Rainy Western Oregon
Joined Feb 2005
207 Posts
Just had not mounted it yet, I hate cowls. It alwys seems like no matter how careful I am, I just end up pokeing a bunch of holes.
I think it's a mind block thing. I will put it on later though.

Under the BRIDGE I'm old and can barly see the plane as is.LOL I did'nt try a roll or loop because my battery did not have velcro, and was only held in place by a couple of strips of masking tape, that's as dangerous as it gets for me.
Last edited by Volts; Mar 01, 2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: addition
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:20 PM
Rainy Western Oregon
Joined Feb 2005
207 Posts
Well have a few flights on the SW and I have to say, I still like it. It flys just great and ROW & LOW's are easy. )Rise off water/Land on water)

I have had no trouble with water getting in, and I still dont tape across the front of the hatch. I may extend the rudder a bit though as my left turns on water are big circle, real big!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:19 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
I find that full-up elevator presses the rudder into the water, making water handling authoritative enough for me. However I also fly the plane off a grass field or from snow from time to time so want to avoid an extended rudder if I can.

I have one observation about the Seawind, having now flown it fairly regularly for a year: the midsection of the fuselage is getting a bit flexible. I notice when it's on the ground and I apply power the nacelle pulls forward, bending the fuse quite a bit. The flex seems to occur directly under the rear edge of the wing. It hasn't caused any ill manners in the plane yet but I wonder if it's a sign that the fuse may have a short lifespan.

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:01 AM
United States, PA, Union
Joined Sep 2007
202 Posts
Well, I have flown my Seawind about ten times now, and it has yet to see any water.

I've been taking off and landing in a grassy field with no problems.

Had one bad landing where I tried to abort, but it was too slow, and tip-stalled into a few cartwheels . Just some minor damage to the tail.

Yesterday the front piece on the motor mount came off in mid flight, and I ended up dropping the plane into a thicket of Sumac trees. Again, just some minor dings. Funny thing is, I had reinforced the motor mount/foam connection with the four carbon rods and epoxy as recommendeed earlier in this thread, and that part has held just fine. Where the mount came apart was on the glue joints of the mounting plate at the front of the assembly! It didn't look like there had been much glue applied to that area at all, as it did not break, but pulled free totally intact. It's epoxied now so should hold in the future.

As just about everyone else has said, I'm really impressed with the way this model flies. One of these days I'll get it to the lake and learn how to handle it on the water.
curly56 is offline Find More Posts by curly56
Old May 05, 2010, 11:10 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,134 Posts
Here's some Seawind pictures taken by Gary Gray at yesterday's Club Float Fly.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old May 22, 2010, 12:00 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Finally, the ice melted!

I was able to get in a number of flights today. On the last flight, it seemed to fly a little weird and I was fighting the elevator.

I decided to bring it home, seemed to get it stable and just as I cruised past the end of the dock, she went full down elevator (or so it seemed) and turned into a submarine. I broke the engine pod right off (I did that on the first one as well).

The other thing I noticed was that the problem was that the motor mount (which I had originally stiffened), was cracked. I suspect that the motor was loose and that was the reason I was fighting the elevator.

This would also explain why she would dive when I added power (the top of the mount was broken) and then climbed when I released the power. No wonder I had problems trimming her.

One thing that I did with this bird was not to make any modifications other than my drain holes. I did not trim the wing ends.

She also takes off much faster if you stay off the elevator until she comes up on the step and gets very light. Then, pull back and you are rewarded with a great take off.

The flaperons were a waste of time (so far). I might add real flaps with the other wing I have.

Landings are great now (except when the wind coming over the trees slams her down). Ouch!
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old May 26, 2010, 06:35 PM
Made in the USA
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Great video.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old May 29, 2010, 08:05 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,110 Posts
Ok, last year I messed up the wing on my Seawind bad by the bad or rather poor water rudder. So I got another wing, I got it all back together and today this morning I a chance to re-maiden my Seawind. I did a couple of things to help with seeing it in the air. In the winter here, all the snow and such with all the white and blue, it is hard to see it, which way it is going and when you bank it, a couple of times I totally lost it. One fellow here on this forum painted one wing tip Red. I looked high and low for good red paint that would be easy to use and I found this stuff. Water clean up, they use it on cars. it is called Faskolor, paint for lexan model car bodies and other surfaces. So I got Red and Green.
I painted the wingtips each their respective colors and then I wanted to make sure I saw it well, so I painted the underside of the right aileron Green, the left aileron Red on Top. That way I would have a way to tell left and right either in regular flight or inverted. Just in case I get good enough to fly like Kingsflyer.
So here are the results.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Thanks to my Bride for the pictures. I never take a good picture when facing the camera. I always look like a Dork.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old May 30, 2010, 12:00 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,110 Posts
One of the things or ideas that was stated back in this thread in order to protect the foam and the color on the plane was to varnish it. So I got some Valspar polyurethane varnish and sprayed the wing, the whole plane, except the canopy with the pilots in it, and after I painted the wing tips and glued them on, I varnished them also. So I must say that helps a lot, makes the plane stand out in sunlight. The light gleams off the plane now. So I got 4 flights in today when the lake was not crowded and the water was almost like glass. A few photos of the Seawind in the air, Many thanks to my Bride for taking them, editing them and tossing all the ones that were just plain rotten.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Thanks for looking and letting me post all these images.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2010, 01:21 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,134 Posts
Way to go Orrin! Nice looking Seawind. Congrats on the maiden.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old May 30, 2010, 07:30 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,110 Posts
I don't remember who suggested the polyurethane on the Seawind, but THANK YOU so much. It makes a world of difference in how the plane looks and helps shed water so to speak.
Also the other person who suggested painting, I think he used a colored Sharpie or something like that, another THANK YOU so much.
When I first flew the Seawind in the winter, everything across the lake was white except for the trees. When you have all the ground white, most of the hills white and then add this Seawind, with lots of white, a modicum of blue and these old eyes and almost losing the plane a couple of times in one flight, I needed a way to make my plane stand out so I could see it no matter which way it was going. The Red and Green wing tips make it much easier for me to see. Also if I go someplace else to float fly, I don't think anyone else will have one just like mine, so if there were two or three Seawinds in the air at the same time, it would be easy to pick one out.
So thanks everyone. I am feeling a lot more comfortable with this airframe. It is fast for me. I did a loop yesterday, I even managed to fly inverted, I was about 4 mistakes high, I only spent less than 30 seconds inverted, but I was not worried I could get it back in normal flight.
I also have a spare Seawind in the garage in the Box. It is harder to fly here on the lake now with all the docks and hoists in, than it was a month ago. I have a much shorter landing strip than I used to have.
Thanks Kingsflyer. For a long time I thought I had bought too much airplane for this old man, while I don't fly agressively I did get some nice patterns in yesterday and I even avoided the trees along the shore line.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Repair and re-maiden was a real hoot in a way.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:00 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,110 Posts
Now having read this whole thread long before I got my Seawind, I knew there were some problems with the water rudder. I took the stock water rudder off and then re-installed it at the bottom screw on the Seawind, I put the top screw in the rudder, there was no water rudder sticking up there. I tried to taxi the Seawind this way, it seemed much better. So I made a new larger water rudder.
I will install it and then fly the Seawind again and see how this new water rudder works.
I took pictures of it to that all of you could see what I did. Now if I fly this off land or fly it and land on land, I will take the water rudder off before doing so.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:40 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Hi Orrin

Nicely done. I've used coloured tape or adhesive wing covering on my leading edges of my wings. I find that really helps.

Awhile ago, I did spend some time working on flaperons which then gave me the chance to make them spoilerons as well

Well, it really wasn't worth the time from what I can tell. However, being able to move both ailerons really helps when you are doing a high speed taxi back to the dock. At least it keeps it on the water.

I haven't had any rudder problems, however, there is a sweet spot with the power on that the rudder works really well. Not enough to take off, but enough to get going and some some up elevator to force the tail down.

I got to the cottage last night just about dusk and the lake was glass, so I wanted to fly. I was pushing the darkness limit, so maybe it is time for night lighting. LOL

As a reminder, adding a drain hole behind the wing mount and also just a bit further back from that on the main part of the hull really helps with getting the water out just after take off. Since there is so much foam, water won't get in when it is just floating there..
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw