HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2009, 07:16 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Guys,
The "gummy residue" I mentioned is really an oily residue". My misapellation.
This residue is very messy and disolves the adhesive on my labels and electrical tape, that's when it gets gummy.
I've used the RED spray can product for three years after I read McD's recommendation, it is a GREAT product that really works, as Mcd says.

However, I'll try Corrosion Block on my next plane, as I hate that oily resdidue.
The oil in Corrosion-X is great for lubricating push rods and cables and other friction surfaces.
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Last edited by donjiskra; Dec 09, 2009 at 07:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2009, 07:37 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,114 Posts
I agree that the "Greasy Kid's Stuff" can be a pain once in a while, but the protection is worth the mess to me.

Don, unfortunately you and I may be the only ones that get the "Kid's Stuff" reference.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Dec 09, 2009, 04:33 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Ha ha - I recall that reference too. I think it was an Alberto V05 ad? (there, we've all dated ourselves)
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:06 AM
nov
Garage sale junkie
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Joined Sep 2008
507 Posts
I have used Corrosion-X on the esc and servos, has anyone had results on using it on the motor? I have seen many people for and against doing it.
nov is offline Find More Posts by nov
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:08 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
I guess you could do it to prevent corrosion and to keep water out of the bearings. But it could just as easily reduce the viscosity of the grease packed in the bearing and cause it to lose lubrication. In other words, you wouldn't need to do it to waterproof the motor electrically speaking, it will run fine with water in it, but to prevent corrosion you could, but with possible side effects that could be worse than what the water would do to it. I don't do it, I just make sure to run the motor a bit after it's gotten wet to expel any water and help it dry. It's worked so far that way for me!
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Dec 26, 2009, 06:12 PM
Joined May 2000
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ320 View Post
I guess you could do it to prevent corrosion and to keep water out of the bearings. But it could just as easily reduce the viscosity of the grease packed in the bearing and cause it to lose lubrication. In other words, you wouldn't need to do it to waterproof the motor electrically speaking, it will run fine with water in it, but to prevent corrosion you could, but with possible side effects that could be worse than what the water would do to it. I don't do it, I just make sure to run the motor a bit after it's gotten wet to expel any water and help it dry. It's worked so far that way for me!

The RR version states it "Aerocell" foam, anyone with a new one? I don't want one made from the EPS foam, it's as fragile as a coffee cup.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Dec 30, 2009, 04:33 PM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Feb 2005
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S View Post
The RR version states it "Aerocell" foam, anyone with a new one? I don't want one made from the EPS foam, it's as fragile as a coffee cup.

I have just recently picked up a new one from rcplanet - they do not sell the rx-r version in australia, so i just went overseas for it - rcplanet were the only ones also to offer shipping on such a large item (which was VERY reasonable at only USD$50 EXPRESS!!)

My mate has a parkzone t-28, and the foam on my seawind is exactly the same as his trojan =)
I dont know if the older versions have this, but mine has a thin plastic sheet that has been molded to most of the whole front of the plane - mainly underneath which i assume is to keep the foam protected on grass take offs... The rear half on the underside is not covered tho...

This is my first aileron plane, and am having a ball! I've already crashed it once tho - on the maiden.... I simply had a brain fart, and twitched the sticks the wrong way, and went nose in from a 7-8mtr high dive (i know - i was too low -lol-)... Pretty good on the damage front tho! The nose was dug into the ground and it just stuck in and sat there like an ostrich with its head in the ground and its bum in the air -lol- (wet grass thank god! its been raining alot here lately)

It snapped the fuse fairly clean in half from just behind the wing, and the pod sorta snapped in half also, but only at the foam, the motor mount and everything else there is fine, other than the snapped stock prop - i have done no mods to this, other than bending the aileron pushrods so they do not bind.

So it was a quick 10 minute fix, and i swapped the prop over for an APC 8x6 (which is significantly longer than the stock prop, as it's at least somewhere between 5-10mm closer to the fuse now) and i was up flying around again =)

Because of the rain, the park i was flying at got absolutely flooded, so figured i'd do the maiden off the water considering the grass was now covered in water about 15-20cm deep! I did much better flying and landing off of the water than i did the grass tho for some reason? Probably because that's what ity's more suited to maybe??? i dunno - but the water take offs and landings were much easier for me for some reason =)

I love this thing! How did don go with the flaperon setup?? it was gonna take me too long to catch up from page sixty-something -lol- Has anybody tried adding flaps towards the inside of the wing? (seperate surfaces to the ailerons, similar to the GP seawind?) I wouldn't mind having a go at it and mixing in the spoilerons too...
danhfvcsd is offline Find More Posts by danhfvcsd
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:46 PM
Joined Sep 2006
589 Posts
New motor for Seawind

Ever since I fried my BP outrunner flying my Seawind last summer by being way too aggressive on the throttle, I have been looking for an affordable yet suitable replacement. I finally settled on the Super Tigre .10 which I maidened today off the snow near Lake Tahoe. Works great. Pulls about 150 watts from an 8x6 Master Airscrew undercambered e-prop or a 9x5 APC e-prop.

One note of caution, however. The Prop adapters sold by Tower Hobbies for this motor are massive, weighing about 15 gms vs. 63? for the bare motor. I went for a much lighter setup with a Maxx-Prod adapter. In all, I added about 10 gms to the overall motor pod vs. what I had with the BP outrunner. On the positive side, however, I now have a motor that can sustain over 300 watts continuously vs. only 140 for the previous setup. I'm using zippy 1600 batteries for power -- I can easily balance from 1" behind the leading edge to 1 3/8" by just moving the battery.

Bob
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Jan 05, 2010, 08:10 AM
Super Cub fan
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S View Post
Both the Rx-R and ARF Seawinds are made with Aerocell foam now.

Jim
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy
Old Jan 05, 2010, 06:00 PM
Joined May 2000
2,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFguy View Post
Both the Rx-R and ARF Seawinds are made with Aerocell foam now.

Jim

Excellent. I may get one. I think EPS foam has seen it's day, nice finish but way too fragile
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:25 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,083 Posts
Rich S,
I got a Seawind last year. It is something to fly. I love my Seawind. I ordered another one and a wing. I messed the wing up, so I got a new one. I will put it all back together.

You will love it. It is fast and you can't take your eye off of it even for a second.
There is lots info on this thread about the Seawind and the modifications.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:47 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Apologize, likely an idiot question here, is Great Planes Seawind and Electrify one of the same or different, have the Great Planes Receiver Ready version on the way, hardly wait, anticipating fun with the snow with this one....Tnx BEST ..<>..

PS couldnt resist the looks on this one, handling should be amazing fun...

My enjoyable models at the moment, after the Super Cub, Hanger 9 T34, Radian Glider, nifty Hobbico Nexstar Mini is rather speedy for a trainer and really loving it....Tx Again
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Jan 23, 2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:28 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Yes, they are the same. Electrifly is the parkflyer/electric division of Great Planes. This Seawind is branded an Electrifly, at least my box was, but I do remember it having Great Planes on it as well if I remember correctly. Great Planes also offers a Seawind in a glow plane. It's for a .60 or .91 sized motor with a 71" wingspan. But that is sold under just the Great Planes banner.
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:26 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Thanks for the complete info, thought that was correct..like the way it flys in the videos, super fun ahead...Tx Aganin..<>..

Some winds today 13 MPH or more going on, but Nexstar Mini handled it rather well, believe this Seawind will take some of the stronger breezes, appears to have some penetration inflight, again from the videos...
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:04 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Seawind #2 - modifications

My wife was kind enough to purchase Seawind #2 for Christmas.

Being the dead of winter up where the water actually gets hard, I thought I would start to assemble it, but taking into account some lessons I learned over the summer as well as some thoughts from this thread.

#1 is to reinforce the motor mount as this is what killed #1 when the motor departed in mid flight leaving me with a dead stick landing and no motor.

With that in mind, I decided to 'lace' the mount down. I drilled 4 1/16" holes and then threaded some waxed lacing cord through them. I you drill all the way through the mount and the Styrofoam, you can grab a pretty good purchase. I then used a liberal amount of CA on the lacing (you could also use just about anything like dental floss or something else. Waxed lacing cord is very strong and broad enough that it won't easily cut through the Styrofoam.

I used 2 pieces, one on each side--see picture.

I also used lots more CA around the mount including the 3 cowling mounting points.

#2 will be to use 2 servos for the aerilons instead of 1. This will allow for better tuning and who knows, maybe flaperons. Someone else tried that, but we never heard how well they worked. I will post pictures when I get to that part.

#3 is the motor. I might use the recommended motor, but I also have many of the suggested Turnigy's which I love (I fly my Mikrokopter with them).

More to come.
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Last edited by va3mw; Feb 03, 2010 at 10:13 PM.