HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2009, 11:53 AM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Sounds fun. I keep mine over water at least 200' off the deck. If I didn't have expo I would likely have kept the stock mechanical settings for the ailerons. I've got the bottom of mine well armored with some 3M clear body tape (used on car bodies to protect paint from rock chips, etc) so I may have to see if I can get it to ROG on short grass. Sounds like fun! I assume you take the water rudder off?
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2009, 12:22 PM
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
I left the water rudder on but removed one screw so it can hinge up when needed (which is always, so far...haven't flown off water).

I poly coated my entire plane with a couple extra coats on the bottom. Grass takeoffs haven't had any effect. But its not bulletproof....the grass at the ballfield yesterday was a little wet and she wasn't taking off but was just taxiing around. I sent her in the direction of the infield dirt and it did the trick, she took off in about 15 feet. But at the cost of some lost paint. Eh, no big deal. I tend to not overly worry about nicks and dents. As long as it flies and looks okay from 20 feet, I don't care. Its all good. Then again, I hope to fly off snow this winter and I have seen the effects of flying from crusty snow, it REALLY rips up the foam. Hmm, 3M tape, huh?

I know I should fly at 200' too and always recommend to others that they should fly 2 mistakes high, I just have trouble following my own advice. Zoom zoom!

Would go fly some now if the wind would only die down a little.

Chadwell

PS I wonder if spraying a little silicone on the bottom of the Seawind would help her slide along the grass better.
Chadwell is offline Find More Posts by Chadwell
Old Nov 04, 2009, 12:58 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Yea, that or maybe some non stick cooking spray (PAM anyone?). Not sure what that would do to the paint but worth a go. The stuff I'm using on the bottom is:

12"x24" 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film Bra - Clear

I found it on E-bay for $18.00. I've used it on several planes so it's been worth the investment. It's hard to find in small quantities but keep an eye out on E-bay and you should be able to find it. I flew my last fuse off of snow without the 3M armor on it but as you point out the ice chips are murder on this paint and foam. I think you'd be OK with this stuff on there, but I'm not sure I'll try it again. Well, maybe on fresh powder...

PS - sure enough here's that item listed:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-x2...Q5fAccessories
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined Feb 2005
538 Posts
My Plane Is For Sale

hi guys,

Sorry to bud in here but I just wanted to let you all know that my Seawind Seaplane is for sale. I have an upgraded motor and all servos are included. Anyway, I have it posted in the for sale section under electric planes. Here is the link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1137803

I have it for local pick up in the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area, MN. I am willing to ship but it will cost around $50 if not more, that is why I would rather do local pickup. Let me know if your interested. Thank you.
Bookstar75 is offline Find More Posts by Bookstar75
Old Nov 07, 2009, 03:20 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
If you're going for local pickup you might have better luck with Craig's List.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 08:14 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,827 Posts
I went to the San Antonio River City Float Fly today and there were four Seawinds at the event. One large 71" glow powered version and 3 of the 40" foamys. All flew great and we had a wonderflul time. Weather was light overcase, 72 degrees, and light winds. Perfect Texas October weather.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:10 PM
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
Nice to here the float fly went well. I envy you. The weather has been perfect flying weather here in Cincinnati but my Seawind will need a few more days work before she is flyable again.....I flew a little too low and a little too slow last weekend and stalled from about 15 feet up. Broke both the wing and the fuselage but both breaks were nice clean breaks so it has been very repairable. Most damage has been repaired but I need to test for any stripped servo gears and strengthen the repaired wing. I dont want the wings to "clap" as I come out of a steep dive. I also fear she may never be water worthy though, after the crash and repairs. Then again, I have no water to fly her from anyway. I know its odd to buy a seaplane and then not fly it off of water but I just loved that look of the Seawind and had to have her. And I don't regret the purchase, she flies great (well, with appropriate altitude and throttle that is).
Chadwell is offline Find More Posts by Chadwell
Old Nov 15, 2009, 03:49 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2 Posts
Just picked one up... some advice please...

Hello all,

Well i guess i joined the club, just got a Seawind EP. My first thought was to check the forums and see what is going on with this little plane. Lots of posts 90 something pages WOW... Anyway i have been through a lot of the thread and see the obvious problems just looking at it. Looking for any advice you guys might have. Here is what i am thinking needs some attention let me know if i missed anything...

Beef up the motor mount make new firewall for my motor.
Cut away some of the top fuse to prevent prop strikes.
Check wing mounting bolt.
Make sure aileron push rods are free.

I am sure there is more

Thanks in advance.
Ron92507 is offline Find More Posts by Ron92507
Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:47 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
I wouldn't cut away any of the fuse, just go with the stock prop and it will clear fine. Also a good idea to reinforce the wing saddle with lots of epoxy as that's been known to let go under stress.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:40 PM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
311 Posts
Hi Ron --

Look at Blue Heron's post here for a good list of tips. I can report from experience that I've done virtually all the things Fred suggests, with good results.

I second Lefty's advice -- I would not cut into the top of the wing saddle to give more prop clearance. Without any cutting it will fit a 9" prop, but the stock 8x6 has been all I've needed. I've had a couple of crashes where the prop has contacted the foam but after repair with lightweight spackle you would never notice.

As for the motor mount, I modified it to suit a 4-screw motor, but other posts in this thread report good results just using the motor's X-mount on the front to sandwich the existing motor mount. Search through attachments to this thread and you'll see pictures. I would add some polyurethane glue where the mount meets the foam, though. That's a real weak spot.

Good luck with the plane. You'll love it.

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Nov 15, 2009, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2 Posts
All-right thanks LeftyF i don't like cutting things up anyway from some of the pics looks like a lot of guys suffered prop strikes... ill wait and see what happens... wing saddle i saw some pics since my first post will do some Epoxying there and some CF rod...

Thanks Dave i am so advised, i will look into the X-mount sounds easier, if i remember right i used this same motor in the GP Silhouette i dont remember how I mounted it though... Epoxy on the Mount to the Foam CF rod also...

Thanks again
Ron92507 is offline Find More Posts by Ron92507
Old Nov 15, 2009, 09:14 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,827 Posts
Here are a few of more things you may want to consider. Balance the model on the CF spar in the wing. Practice flying off grass or soft snow before you fly off water. Use full up elevator for water takeoffs. Also add more glue to the servo/ESC mounting plate. Use CorrosionX on all your electronics before you fly off water. Remove the rudder and elevator pushrods and clean and lube them with CorrosionX.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Nov 16, 2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:04 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Here's the easiest one to save you loosing your canopy, motor and mount. Put a rubber band around the front of the canopy and the nose of the plane. Some folks have had the canopy lift off during flight, slamming into the prop causing the prop to break and get wildly out of balance, resulting in the motor mount failing and in some cases the motor ejecting from the plane into the drink. That will wreck your whole day! Some use tape around the canopy to help hold it on the plane and keep water out. I like the rubber band as it's quicker to put on / take off and won't take paint when you remove it.

Hope that helps keep yours safe!
Old Nov 25, 2009, 08:49 PM
Joined Sep 2008
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
Well my seawind is down after flying all weekend....BAD motor mount pod!

Took it out for one last end of the day flite Monday evening and while doing a slow roll at half throttle, about 200' up over the lake, I heard a nasty "whap-whap-whap-whap.." as I came out of the roll. I instantly cut the throttle and stood in awe as I watched the cowl, prop and motor separate from the pod.

The cowl floated down to the lake and sank. The motor wire connectors were heatshrinked, so the motor stayed on and just flopped over and hung off the leftside of the plane as I deadsticked it from 200' for a nice, if not lucky, landing on the lake.

A good look shows that the wood motor mount on the leftside(facing from the rear)had no glue in at least 3 key locations and basically came off intact. This is the only side of the mount that became seperated which then allow the motor to twist and snap the motor mount wooden tabs.

Super easy fix, but could have been a nasty one. So if you have new one this is place to re-glue and or re-brace prior to flite!
Been there... got the t-shirt. On my last flying day at the cottage in Mid October (before the water starts to freeze up here), as she passed over my head, the motor ejected with my Rimfire. I had not heat shrunk the wires, so I lost the motor and prop.

I did a pretty good dead stick landing, but that was the end of the season for me. I was a little annoyed, but this bird has been great fun for the money and I will have another in the spring.
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Nov 29, 2009, 02:47 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
Ok fellows,
I messed the wing up on my Seawind. I can buy a new one, need to fix where it bolts into the fuse, but that should be no big problem.
Now should I get a whole new Seawind, do as Fred said, his post is one of the best on modifications yet, and have a spare Seawind in case I plunk the original one into the ice or lake, depending on how cold it gets later?

I was flying my Seawind well, better than I ever expected to. I found that putting red on one wing tip helped a lot, the new wing will have Red on one tip, Green on the other. Just the red helped a lot with orentatian for me. This is the most aerobatic plane I have flown, I was impressed on how well I was able to fly it, since I am not a great aerobatic flier.
Thanks Fellows without this thread I would have never bought a Seawind to start with.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Nov 29, 2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: second word wrong