Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 16, 2009, 02:01 PM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
312 Posts
Hi Fairplane --

I don't have the 28-30-950 motor in my Seawind but I did find this post from another thread confirming how to reverse mount it:

"I have the same motor on my Goldberg Shock 3D, and that's precisely how it's mounted. I just loosened the set screws on that little brass collar, as well as the two 'prop saver' screws on the rotor. Then I slid the shaft out toward the rotor until it was flush with the little brass collar on the back of the motor, and I tightened all screws. I just use a simple collet-type prop adapter on the shaft."

/D
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2009, 07:20 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghutt
Hi Fairplane --

I don't have the 28-30-950 motor in my Seawind but I did find this post from another thread confirming how to reverse mount it:

"I have the same motor on my Goldberg Shock 3D, and that's precisely how it's mounted. I just loosened the set screws on that little brass collar, as well as the two 'prop saver' screws on the rotor. Then I slid the shaft out toward the rotor until it was flush with the little brass collar on the back of the motor, and I tightened all screws. I just use a simple collet-type prop adapter on the shaft."

/D

Excellent-thanks for the info-guess the seawind will fly again!! Like I had any doubts-now to find the time!!!!
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Sep 25, 2009, 09:05 PM
Joined Sep 2008
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyF
That doesn't look bad at all. I've heard folks have used white spackle to fill in cracks, then sand and paint. For the aileron wires I put the standoffs for the ez connectors on the other side of the horns so they lined up. That's been working nicely and doesn't require going around corners. If it makes you feel better here's what I did to my first fuse crashing into the ice last winter:

I used packing tape and white stick on Monocote to patch it up until my second fuse came in. FYI - this color scheme is very hard to see against snow!

Sorry for the delay in replying, but mine has looked worse than that. On 3 unique times. LOL. I'm rebuilding it for the 3rd time. I am pretty sure the last crash was due to the fact that the ailerons were loose on their shaft (I just noticed). I will let you know if I get flying tomorrow.
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:20 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
I've still got this fuse stored away in case I break fuse #2. I figure sooner or later this one will come in handy! Was going to use it as my winter fuse, but moving the gear back and forth is a bit tedious...
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
Old Sep 26, 2009, 07:04 PM
Joined Sep 2008
704 Posts
Well....

Seawind #1 actually died today. The motor mount broke while in flight and the motor (a Rimfire actually) ejected at about 100ft. It destroyed the engine canopy. The motor went one way and the plane went the other way.

Many thanks to Kingsflyer for sending me his spare canopy that he didn't need anymore as a gift. I can't thank him enough.

The good news, it was the old canopy that got destroyed, so I still have a spare.

I lost the motor as it fell in the water about 30ft from where I was. My brain was torn as to which part to watch when it flew off. But, I kept my eye on the plane and actually dead sticked into a pretty good landing.

But, have broken the hull 3 times (once due to me, twice due to servo issues with the rudder servo going reversed on my -- never seen that before and the last due to an elevator failure). I even broke the styrofoam twice behind the motor mount. Wow, this bird was tough.

I had just installed a 9x6 slow flyer prop that I really liked. I was only drawing 115 watts at full power. I think it was the black and yellow one for a P51.

Now, back to the drawing board. One of my local hobby stores has 1 left in stock, so I guess I will pick it up on Monday.

Rest in pieces #1. Number 2 will pick up were you left off.
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:02 AM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,870 Posts
She will fly again and again!!

BTW if anybody has any parts for the .60 Seawind PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!!!
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Oct 01, 2009, 07:00 PM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2004
29 Posts
I guess I originally posted this in the wrong thread. This thread seems much more alive than the other one.

I'm considering getting a Seawind for flying off the large pond at the local park, but (as is usual for my cramped flying space), I'm a little concerned about how well the Seawind flies in small spaces. The area around the pond is roughly 2.5 times the size of a baseball field, with the pond filling most of that space. How well will the Seawind handle that size of space? It looks like it can go pretty fast, but can it go slow, too?
kuroutadori is offline Find More Posts by kuroutadori
Old Oct 02, 2009, 09:43 AM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
I fly mine off a large lake, but I keep it close to the boat in an area about the size of 2 baseball fields. If you mean field and not diamond you should be good. It slows fairly well if you have it trimmed out right and the CG is on the CF spar under the wing. The recommended CG has the plane nose heavy and won't slow as well. It also floats a bit on landing so be sure to set up your approach with as much room as you can and into the wind.

Hope that helps!
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
Old Oct 02, 2009, 10:12 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
312 Posts
I love my Seawind and for my own purposes wouldn't want anything else, but it's a fast, somewhat unforgiving plane. I find I need lots of space to set-up landings in particular. You might want to consider scratch building a Polaris -- they look great, and from the vids I've seen they can harrier like crazy which makes small spaces a breeze.

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Oct 02, 2009, 07:33 PM
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2004
29 Posts
I wish I had the time to scratch-build a Polaris, or anything for that matter. I'll certainly keep the Polaris in mind for the future, but for now I'm looking for an ARF seaplane instead that I can fly in a relatively small space (with occasional trips to the futher-away large space).
kuroutadori is offline Find More Posts by kuroutadori
Old Oct 03, 2009, 01:06 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
If you want, let me know the coordinates (or pm me and I'll give you my email so you can send me a placemark from google earth) of the location you intend to fly in, and I'll compare the area to where I fly, and let you know my opinion. Good to see another kiwi on RC groups!
Johnnz is offline Find More Posts by Johnnz
Old Oct 08, 2009, 10:15 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
679 Posts
Winter? Already?

Well it looks like the seawind will have to wait till next year to fly again- it was minus 3 C( or 26.6F for those in the States) and SNOW this morning and I'm still waiting on a mount for the seawind. Thought I'd try to upload a couple of short vids taken by my friend just outside of our marina. Had 29 flights this year with 1 minor and 1 major crash. But this bird is tough and has flown twice since the major-I just love flying it off our boat! Apparently the vid files off my wifes camera is too large-although a very short clip so instead are some pics-the last is after the major crash

Got a Big One! (0 min 40 sec)

touch and go's (0 min 40 sec)
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Last edited by fairplane; Oct 10, 2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: daughter taught me how to get a video on!
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:27 AM
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
Been watching videos of this plane for months and have been reading this thread off and on for weeks. So I finally broke down and bought the ARF version. Slowly putting it together while making most of the modifications mentioned in this thread. No rush as I still have to order a motor. I have seen so many different motor suggestions in this thread that I am still not sure which to buy. I do have some Tower Pro 2408-21 motors from Hobby City but I think it has too high of a KV (rated 1750 although real world tests show around 1550). Still, seems like it might be spinning pretty high and be kind of noisy. I see lots of recommendations for Heads Up RC and I like the idea of the fast shipping. Thought I might go with their 2830-11 unless someone here has a better suggestion.

Cant wait to fly this. Will be off grass for the foreseeable future. I have no available water to fly off of but I wanted this plane anyway. It just looks so cool. Will let you know how the maiden goes when I get the motor installed (hope to have it here by end of week).

Mike
Chadwell is offline Find More Posts by Chadwell
Old Oct 11, 2009, 02:09 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,987 Posts
If you are going to be flying from grass for a while, you may want to pull off the water rudder so it won't snag in the grass.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Oct 11, 2009, 09:51 AM
Joined Aug 2006
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
If you are going to be flying from grass for a while, you may want to pull off the water rudder so it won't snag in the grass.
McD
Good point, McD, I will do just that. Any thoughts on that motor I mentioned? Used with a 8x4 3 blade prop its supposed to produce around 24oz thrust at 14A, 1150kv. Previously I have used budget motors from Hobby City. I am still quite in the dark on choosing motors and what all the numbers mean. I tend to just find suggested setups for my planes and go with that. I need to eventually do more research so I am not so clueless. I have a 30a brushless ESC and am using 3 cell 1300mah 20c batteries.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

Love the orange leading edge on the wings that I have seen in this thread. Great idea on a plane with an unusual flying profile. I have orange paint but maybe I will just look for fluorescent orange tape at the hardware store.

Thanks all.

Mike
Chadwell is offline Find More Posts by Chadwell