to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:18 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinG
It was WINDY yesterday (15+ with gusts to 25) but our club had a float fly at the local Veteran's Center and I was itching to maiden my Seawind. I picked it up a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to fly it until now.

Flying the recommended Rimfire 28-30-950 motor with a CC Thunderbird 18 and ThunderPower 1320. Plopped it in the water, taxied around a little bit, let it weathervane into the wind and slowly accelerated... got up on step, hit the elevator, and it was airborne in no time, flew great!

The motor has tons of power for this plane. Didn't have any trouble taking off from the water, it kept pretty level on its own (I did take care to laterally balance it beforehand). Water rudder wasn't terribly effective but good enough... I found that the key was to get up enough speed and hold up elevator to keep the rudder in the water while taxiing. I didn't have dual rates set up, I was flying with the high settings, and it was a bit twitchy, so on the next flight I added a decent amount of expo, especially on the elevator, and the controls were much more comfortable. Inside of the plane stayed dry, no problems there either.

The wind and choppy water were absolute non-issues! It handled the wind with flying colors, I and everyone there was just amazed that it flew so well in such crummy conditions.

Loved it! Can't wait to get it on the water again! Can't say enough good things about it...

You swine.. Ive just gotta get one after that report and Mikes Review , it will cost me a fortune to get it shipped to Aussie... ...
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:32 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
Son, you might as well order 2 or 3. If you've got to pay the shipping, you might as well get more than one. You are going to want a backup and after your flying buds see yours, they will pay most any price to get one of their own.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 18, 2007, 01:31 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Yeah right , I'll get half a dozen so I can recover the shipping cost for them all , ...
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:42 AM
Fort Payne, Al
Joined Aug 2004
129 Posts
silicon sealing for seawind

Hi guys; dumb question, but never had this happen before; I was sealing my seawind wing seat and canopy with silicon cement; used generic "saran wrap" as release and the silicon stuck to the wrap and not so well to the foam; Any suggestions?
George
bullwinkle9 is offline Find More Posts by bullwinkle9
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:15 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
I've chosen not to seal my wing saddle at all. I use Corrosion-X on all my electronic components and don't mind if a few drops of water get inside the plane. Even with multiple touch & goes, I've never had more that a teaspoon of water get in the plane.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:11 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
841 Posts
0 drops of water inside

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=112
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:27 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Well, I can verify this thing runs upside down. "Dumb Thumbs" overracted 30' up and did a roll header. Canopy came off, but the motor could be spurt started and I brought it back to shore. Being under water the prop could not get any RPM vs air. I used corrosionX on everything and all was ok.

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Sep 19, 2007, 02:39 PM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
154 Posts
After a hard landing (on grass) I find strange marks on the wing directly under the propeller (see pic.) The distance between propeller tip and ving is 15 mm. Is it possible for the propeller to reach the wing I wonder?

If I try to press the motor pod down, rather hard, the propeller tip still dont reach the wing.

After the hard landing, no crack (fracture) was find anywhere outside or inside the fuselage.

Can anyone explanin how that happend!?

//Tomas Dunker from Sweden trying to wright English...
Tomas Dunker is offline Find More Posts by Tomas Dunker
Old Sep 19, 2007, 03:23 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
841 Posts
the prop....

been there done that
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Sep 19, 2007, 03:25 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,950 Posts
Sure looks like the prop! Bet the fuselage flexed on the hard landing. A little light weight spackle will fix that in no time.

Pete
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
Old Sep 19, 2007, 03:58 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle9
Hi guys; dumb question, but never had this happen before; I was sealing my seawind wing seat and canopy with silicon cement; used generic "saran wrap" as release and the silicon stuck to the wrap and not so well to the foam; Any suggestions?
George
Try wax paper instead.

My guess is that it peeled the layer of paint off the foam. Now that it's gone, the silicon should stick better. Although I thought silicon would eat foam?
Don't know, didn't seal mine and haven't had any water in it yet after dozens of flights off water, so I will leave it alone.
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
Old Sep 19, 2007, 08:43 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
Try wax paper instead.

My guess is that it peeled the layer of paint off the foam. Now that it's gone, the silicon should stick better. Although I thought silicon would eat foam?
Don't know, didn't seal mine and haven't had any water in it yet after dozens of flights off water, so I will leave it alone.
Silicone shouldn't bother foam. It's the vinegar (acetic acid) it gives off that you smell. Tough on metals (corrosion) and electronics but not plastics.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Sep 19, 2007, 09:56 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Wing tip

My threaded nut in the wing became stripped and in was hard to remove because the screw would not come even with the bottom of the wing. I solved the problem by epoxying a plastic wall anchor in the wing bottom. See attached picture. Now I can unthread the screw even with the bottom.

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Sep 20, 2007, 12:03 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Dunker
After a hard landing (on grass) I find strange marks on the wing directly under the propeller (see pic.) The distance between propeller tip and ving is 15 mm. Is it possible for the propeller to reach the wing I wonder?

If I try to press the motor pod down, rather hard, the propeller tip still dont reach the wing.

After the hard landing, no crack (fracture) was find anywhere outside or inside the fuselage.

Can anyone explanin how that happend!?

//Tomas Dunker from Sweden trying to wright English...
I think I will be reinforcing my pylon and motor mount with carbon tube , Ive already seen one with the whole top with motor , and stab broken off
You can get netural cure silicon ...just cover where you dont want with saran and then after its cured trim the wrap and silicon with a brand new blade