Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 06, 2009, 02:51 PM
Joined Sep 2008
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
va3mw,
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! Ouch! Good luck on the repair. Myself, I'd buy a new one.

Attached are a few photos of my Mariner that saw its fate a few weeks ago. The wings folded 150' up. Straight down, nose first she went. 8 years and over 200 flights. I can't complain I had lots of fun with that plane.
The series of pictures tells it all. Too bad you didn't have an Eagle Tree on it to measure the impact speed!
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2009, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyF
That doesn't look bad at all. I've heard folks have used white spackle to fill in cracks, then sand and paint. For the aileron wires I put the standoffs for the ez connectors on the other side of the horns so they lined up. That's been working nicely and doesn't require going around corners. If it makes you feel better here's what I did to my first fuse crashing into the ice last winter:

I used packing tape and white stick on Monocote to patch it up until my second fuse came in. FYI - this color scheme is very hard to see against snow!
Your motor cowling looks better than mine! LOL
Old Sep 06, 2009, 08:04 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Yup, from the pilots back I was in good shape. I kept the taped up fuse as my "winter" fuse. Don't have to worry about ripping that one up on the ice ;-)
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
Old Sep 07, 2009, 07:09 PM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Here's a short video of my buddy flying his SeaWind and buzzing some fountains.

SeaWind
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Airliner Bicycle Hand Launch
Old Sep 07, 2009, 08:08 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
va3mw,
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! Ouch! Good luck on the repair. Myself, I'd buy a new one.

Attached are a few photos of my Mariner that saw its fate a few weeks ago. The wings folded 150' up. Straight down, nose first she went. 8 years and over 200 flights. I can't complain I had lots of fun with that plane.

That's ashame, we must have the same carma. Around the same time, I lost a Seamaster (was still made by Ace when I bought it) I've had for about 10 years. Totally my fault, I was hotdogging it out on the river, skimming the water at about a foot, full throttle. Wasn't paying attention to the fact that a big cruiser went by, kicking up a 3' wake. When it hit that wake, BANG, confetti, just like hitting a brick wall. But, I got a NIB Neptune on Ebay for half price a week later, so it wasn't too bad. All the electronics were okay too.
bfaulguy is online now Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Sep 13, 2009, 03:16 PM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,861 Posts
Hey guys, I am selling my other .60 seawind. New in Box, you can go either gas or elec. I have several posts in this thread with my current one, just don't want to drop 3 bills for retracts. I prefer the water

$250 shipped, double boxed, and yes this is in the gas and elec threads. But you guys can appreciate it more here.
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:37 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
672 Posts
How do I fix this now???? (be sure to read until the end)

OK- So I was flying my 27th flight and must have picked up some water as I lost control after a loop and the plane nosed dived-hit the water broke into four pieces. started to smoke and then burst into flames-wished someone had a camera -it was way too cool-according to all the onlookers! Well the esc started the fire and I was able to blow out the flame and salvage the plane-which I thought was a total writeoff because of the huge burn hole in the fuse. My wife suggested expanding foam so I thought-why not try it. I glued the fuse backtogether,glued the wings back, and made a form and put in the expanding foam-which worked really well-Installed a new esc, took apart the elevator servo,which had also melted and got it freed up. Got a new gws prop taped and glued the cowl ,touched up with paint and guess what? It flew!! The only problem was the new gws prop would flutter at high rpm-so I was only able to fly moderately, but at least I was flying. The next time out I put an apc prop-which was a 9X6 which I cut down to 8X6 and then balanced. It ran fine at the test and could take full rpm with no problem. So on Saturday a perfect evening to fly I took off, flew about 2 minutes and as the plane flew by I heard a crack-so I cut throttle and glided in with no problem- except for the dog which thought the plane was a bird going down and it was a race to see who would get to the "bird" first-luckily my wife got the attention of the owner who called the dog which allowed my brother inlaw to get there first! So now to the part-how do I fix this now? The motor mount broke and disintegrated,destroying the cowl and left the motor dangling by its wires. The prop is intact and there was no damage to the plane. Are there motor mounts available or does one have to make one and if so HOW? Will try and post some pics of the burn damage after the major crash and rebuild- would appreciate any help and thank-you in advance-Fairplane
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Last edited by fairplane; Sep 17, 2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: added pics
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:40 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,968 Posts
See post #1091 on this page for an alternate mounting method.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...726675&page=73

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:31 AM
Joined Aug 2006
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
See post #1091 on this page for an alternate mounting method.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...726675&page=73

McD
I don't think will work as I have the recommended electrify Rimfire 28-30-950 kv brushless motor gpmg 4560. It has 3 mounting screws on the forward housing
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:56 AM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,138 Posts
So just drill 3 holes instead of 4...use the mounting bracket as a pattern.
pmisuinas is online now Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:46 PM
Joined Aug 2006
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas
So just drill 3 holes instead of 4...use the mounting bracket as a pattern.
My mount used to look like this-sort of-it was the factory three hole mount which the screws for the motor mounted from the "front" of the mount. Im not sure how to make a mount-I could probably figure it out-Hey does anyone have a crashed seawind with an intact mount?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:57 PM
Joined Sep 2008
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane
I don't think will work as I have the recommended electrify Rimfire 28-30-950 kv brushless motor gpmg 4560. It has 3 mounting screws on the forward housing
I did that on my PBY. The same as you see in the picture. Just drilled 3 holes to match up (didn't worry about the 4th). It worked fine.

Mike
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3mw
I did that on my PBY. The same as you see in the picture. Just drilled 3 holes to match up (didn't worry about the 4th). It worked fine.

Mike
My Plane doesnt have a mount anymore-it disappeared! I just used the pic to show how the moter bolts from the front-Fairplane
Old Sep 16, 2009, 06:30 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
312 Posts
Hi Fairplane --

Your Rimfire motor can be mounted from either side of the motor housing, just like the one in Post 1091 referred to above. In fact I've read (maybe in this thread?) of others lopping the awkward mounting box off the Seawind from the beginning and opting for a firewall-style setup. For example:

Your motor should have come with an X-style motor mount that can affix to the back of the housing. If not I think Tower has them or you could fabricate something from some aluminum.

Personally I would definitely opt for a firewall arrangement rather than trying to rebuild the stock box-type mount. Post pictures! Best of luck.

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Sep 16, 2009, 01:26 PM
Joined Aug 2006
672 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. My rimfire only has bolt holes on the one side and I dont have an X mount. I noticed you could take the shaft out and possibly put it in from the other side? Anybody know- I think it should work-then I could mount it to the firewall as in post 1091-Thanks Fairplane