SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:42 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
I did something similar on my Polaris except I used a straw to drain the water. Works great.

But why are you getting so much water in there in the first place?? I've dunked it in pretty good before and gotten very little water in.. I do get a couple drops, but its certainly not enough to need a drain...
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:06 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
I'm not sure. I think it is from the leading edge of the wing at the bottom. As I am getting used to it, I was doing a lot of taxiing, so it was spending lots of time on the water.
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:16 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quick, silly(?) question.....does it make any difference that the antenna on the RX drags in the water?? The one I have has metal antenna exposed on the the tip of the wire? Since I lost my last RX, out of the blue, and not knowing why, I'm getting skiddish! I've been gone from home a good while, back now and making the needed repairs for the crash I had that resulted from the RX going out during the flight. Should be airborne soon!! yeah!!

Lobo
Lobo is offline Find More Posts by Lobo
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:34 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Yes, you should keep the antenna out of the water. If it is in the water, it can reduce the receivers sensitivity.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 01:23 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
There's a hole routed through the tail to route the antenna wire up and out so it will not drag in the water. The antenna wire should exit near the control rod for the elevator. Check the instructions for the location.
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:10 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyF
There's a hole routed through the tail to route the antenna wire up and out so it will not drag in the water. The antenna wire should exit near the control rod for the elevator. Check the instructions for the location.
I routed the wire through that hole, but it is still long enough to sit in the water. Is is OK to cut off some of the antenna wire...or should I leave some of it wrapped up in the fuse??
Old Aug 31, 2009, 02:55 PM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
Don't cut the antenna wire! It's length is tuned to your transmitter. Better to double it inside the fuse, a couple of times through a piece of drinking straw for instance, so that there's only a couple of inches protruding out the tail. Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:11 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghutt
Don't cut the antenna wire! It's length is tuned to your transmitter. Better to double it inside the fuse, a couple of times through a piece of drinking straw for instance, so that there's only a couple of inches protruding out the tail. Dave
Great! Thanks for the info!

Lobo
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:24 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Actually, not true. The receive wire needs to be as long as possible for 72mhz (actually, 1M would be great for a 1/4 wave whip @ 50 ohms).

If you do cut it, it 'might' reduce your reception range. However, coiling it up will also reduce your reception range though. Dragging it in the water would be much worse.

It isn't anything special when it comes to wire. You can trim it and do a range check. If it doesn't work just solder it back on. No harm done.

Mike
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:49 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
You could also look into getting a Lightenna (mid loaded antenna). These are designed to provide near to the same range as a standard antenna with a much shorter wire. In reality I've found they actually increased range in some instances. This seems a great place for one. You can get them here:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/lightenna...QueryId=170324

I solved the issue by using a 2.4 receiver.

Hope this helps
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
Last edited by LeftyF; Aug 31, 2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:45 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Lately it seems my Seawind has been spending far too much time in the corner and not enough time flying. My main flying field doesn't have a large enough spot of grass for flying the SW, and I haven't been able to fly it as much from the boat as I would like either.

So, I put my thinking cap on tonight, and turned her into an amphibian! The gear I used were the fixed main gear that came with a Hobby Lobby Executive Jet that I am working on, and opted for retracts instead. I used a 3/8" rod to fabricate the quick remove structure that holds the gear. The front of it fits over the nose, goes through the gear wood pieces, and then to the back where it is held on place with a rubber band that goes behind the wing and over top and down to the other side.

It seems very structurely sound now, but only flight testing will tell. I have a few minor things to do yet. Mainly, remove the wheels and set the proper angle of the wheel axles, you'll notice they are tilted out as the EJ mounted them almost flat under the wing. I also need to add a tail skid. My initial thought was to make it a tricycle gear, but couldn't figure out how to steer it, so I went with a taildragger setup. I'm hoping I can find a tail skid that will prop up the tail enough to protect the water rudder so that I won't have to take it on and off when switching between land and water. I would also like to find one that also doesn't have so much surface area to it that I will have to remove it either when switching to water.

Like I said, I guess we'll see how well it works. It certainly isn't pretty, but I don't think it's that awful either. And it can be put on and taken off in mere seconds, which was my primary objective.
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Sep 01, 2009, 07:40 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
I had an interesting couple of flights yesterday.

First, I did punch a 3/16" hole from the inside of hull at the lowest spot at the back to exited in the middle of the step. Worked great draining the water (if any came in). Now, it jumps out of the water.

I am using the recommended Rimfire, but I will replace it with a Turnigy 2213 22turn 924kv 17A Outrunner as I have a few of these that I use with my Quad flyer.

However, a few flights later (in some bumpy water), the dome over the wing departed. In its exit, the prop hit it and tore a hole in it that I know have to repair. I guess I can use some expanding foam and paint it with some waterbased paint.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:02 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,157 Posts
va3mw, did you mean the canopy or did you lose the foam fuselage section that attaches to the top of the wing? If you meant the canopy, I've had a few occasions where a bad landing or a dip of the nose into a big wave and the canopy comes off. I now put a small piece of tape on the front edge of the canopy to keep the water from lifting up the front edge if I nose down in the water. It works great. I haven't had the canopy come off once since I started using the tape.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:15 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
No, not the canopy. The wing cover. Looks like the glue dried out.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 09:56 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Eric, nice idea....as long as it doesn't weigh it down too much.

An idea you might want to try to help protect the foam from the LG wire: If you have r/c fuel tubing on hand, just slip the tubing on the wire, especially for spot where it looks like it will be cutting into the foam. You can get small diameter tubing if the larger stuff is too large for the wire you're using. If you need it to stay in place on the wire Gorilla Glue might do the trick...
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy