HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:50 AM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Yikes! That's some test. I had a similar outing a while back where I had left my elevator set to another plane, and I could not for the life of me figure out why the plane was plowing around in the water when I gave it full up elevator. I picked up a DX6i on E-bay to avoid the up = down issue. You still have to select the correct model, but if you don't the transmitter won't arm until you select the correct one. Nice safeguard for those of us that fly before the 2nd cup of coffee!
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:55 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Yes, I also just picked up a DX6i on Ebay.....but to use with my 1 oz. Parkzone models (soon to add the 1 oz Blade MSR when it's released )

But I have about 40 or so receivers on 72mhz, in that many models, so I'm stuck with 72mhz until I win Lotto to replace all those receivers.....
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Aug 19, 2009, 01:57 PM
Gravity brings me down
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Troy
So GOOP or I suppose any good silicone, if applied correctly, works great for waterproofing.
Silicone is fine for sealing up the wing saddle and other joints, but I would not use it seal your receiver or ESC. The solvent vapor that it releases as it cures is acidic.
Earthbound is offline Find More Posts by Earthbound
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:49 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthbound
Silicone solvent vapor that it releases as it cures is acidic.
And the vapors WILL corrode the PC board and wiring.

I'll stick with CorrosionX as it lets the RX and ESC breath and have full cooling. Here in Texas that's improtant. It's been 100 degrees or hotter for 60 of the last 85 days and 100+ predicted for the rest of this week.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:31 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
hey how do you repair the foam? I stalled on landing, recovered about 1 foot up, but had to let it hit the bank because pulling up would have put it too close to a house...

Damage wasnt bad, pulled out the wing mount, dowel and took a small chunk out of the wing tip. So how do I fill in the missing foam?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Aug 26, 2009, 07:44 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Fill any missing chunks with light weight spakling compound from Home Depot. You can fill it with extra, then sand it into proper shape. Then paint as you like, but you will have to cover the affected area with some kind of clear finish to seal it from getting wet. As for the wing mount dowel, I just glued mine back in with epoxy.

Good luck on the repair!
Eric
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Aug 26, 2009, 09:28 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
I second the lightweight spackle:
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1299730/5721729

You can use finishing epoxy, brushed on, over the cured spackle. Light and strong repair.....
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Aug 26, 2009, 09:44 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Water based polyurethane would work as a sealer as well!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:30 PM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
!

I coat lightweight spackle patches with "Future" no-wax floor coating. In my experience it's bulletproof, even on seaplanes.

I think it's an acrylic; it can be thinned with household ammonia. I put it on with a foam brush but I've heard of people thinning it with Windex and using it in an airbrush. I coated my Seawind with it before it's first flight to add a little durability to the foam's white finish, and after a season of flying the Future finish is still in good shape.

Good luck!

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:05 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
I sprayed Future shine on my entire Seawind through an airbrush with no thinning. It looks beautiful! And yes, another choice in sealing the spakle.

Eric
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:46 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
thanks! I'll get the spakle and give it try.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Another new bird...

I had a few hours, so I built up my Seawind tonight. I can't find Corrosion X here in Canada (easily), but most of the hobby stores carry Corrosion Block. It is a heavy oily liquid. I open up all the servos and the receiver and make sure the boards are covered.

I wasn't sure about it at first, but I did the same thing on my Catalina PBY and so far I haven't lost a servo or receiver. There are also some Acrylic Sprays that will waterproof a circuit board as well. I've done that to some ESC's that get pretty wet with no problems. I remove the heat shrink, spray the board and then use a small amount of heat shrink just to hold the heat sink in place.

Anyway, all I did tonight was to do some high speed taxiing around just to get a feel for it. The water rudder seemed fine as long as you keep some up elevator.

If the winds are calm in the morning, I might take it for its maiden flight.

I'm learning my lesson. Take a picture before the first flight!
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Aug 28, 2009, 08:54 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
it is still dry!

Since I am at the cottage, i was able to pull the Seawind recovery vehicle out of the boat house and take her for her first flight.

Other than a little trim, it flew fairly well. I'm pretty new at this, but it was so much easier to land than my Great Planes PBY.

Just like on the sim, I held some up elevator (ok, lots) and slowly applied power. It climbed right out on a smooth climb without jumping straight up.

No complaints so far.
Last edited by va3mw; Aug 28, 2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:56 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
I am getting lots of water in. I have redone the wing with foam tape, and then I tape the top. I suspect lots of water is getting in at the leading edge of the wing.

I doubt that much is getting in via the 'cockpit', but even so, I taped it just to be sure. Certainly tape on the leading edge won't hurt.

However, I am going to drill a drain. This will leave the lowest part of the cockpit and run towards the rear at about 45 degrees or so. No water will get in when the plane is sitting on the surface, and this will allow any water to drain while in level flight or climb out. In fact, just taxing along the water will help to suck out any water.

Even if the plane flips, this part will be totally out of the water.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:27 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3mw
I am getting lots of water in. I have redone the wing with foam tape, and then I tape the top. I suspect lots of water is getting in at the leading edge of the wing.

I doubt that much is getting in via the 'cockpit', but even so, I taped it just to be sure. Certainly tape on the leading edge won't hurt.

However, I am going to drill a drain. This will leave the lowest part of the cockpit and run towards the rear at about 45 degrees or so. No water will get in when the plane is sitting on the surface, and this will allow any water to drain while in level flight or climb out. In fact, just taxing along the water will help to suck out any water.

Even if the plane flips, this part will be totally out of the water.
Interested in the drain idea. How about post a pic of exactly where you put it, and size of hole, once you try it out and see it works as thought??

Thanks!

Lobo
Lobo is offline Find More Posts by Lobo