HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2009, 08:43 AM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
841 Posts
I don't usually bring my seawind up to speed until i'm ready to go straight into the wind, for fear of water looping, or worse. As for slow speed maneuvering in the wind, aileron control can be used to drop a wing tip in the direction of the turn.

Don - i read about your project in MA, good work.
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2009, 09:00 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,156 Posts
I'm still using the stock water rudder because I fly mine off grass and off water. A longer (deeper) water rudder would catch in the grass for me. I use full up elevator when I taxi just like on a tail dragger and that seems to help a little, but I'm still not really happy with the way it works on water as I have to blast the tail around at times.

I'm with Don on this one. If there are any alternative water rudder designs out there, post them here so we can try them out.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 08, 2009, 11:18 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
I'm with Kingsflyer, myself: the stock water rudder is much more effective with full up elevator at more than 1/3 throttle. Any less than that and there's not enough forward propulsion to overcome this light model's tendency to weathervane. I'm not keen on lengthening it since I fly off grass too. But if someone comes up with a detachable, more effective design I'm all over it.

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Aug 08, 2009, 11:22 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Yes, I find that using up elevator sets that tail down nicely. I've been using full up elevator for take-offs recently. Just be ready to ease it down once it breaks free of the water.

Still loving this plane, and in it's second season...and it's still in one piece
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Aug 08, 2009, 07:00 PM
Tallahassee, Florida
Joined Mar 2007
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewstad
Glad to here the MUS is nice on floats. Where did you get your floats for her? Do you think the GWS floats will work? May have to put it on that instead of my supercub. Would be nice to gave 2 planes for the water so I can use one for retreival just in case. Being that I don't have a boat, I don't really feel like swimming in the water back here. Anyone here highly recommending the PNP route for the seawind?
Since this is a Sewind thread -- I'll post a picture of my MUS on floats on the MUS thread, along with explanation of mods -- I used the GWS floats -- had to custom build the framing.
blueheron is offline Find More Posts by blueheron
Old Aug 09, 2009, 03:08 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
blueheron,
Give us a link to the MUS thread. Thanks. I want to see your MUS on floats.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:35 PM
Tallahassee, Florida
Joined Mar 2007
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead
blueheron,
Give us a link to the MUS thread. Thanks. I want to see your MUS on floats.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Ok, here ya go...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4176

blueheron
blueheron is offline Find More Posts by blueheron
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:19 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,117 Posts
Blueheron,
Very nice, you did a very nice job.
Thanks so much.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Aug 12, 2009, 01:20 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane
I just maidened my used seawind Sunday-maybe 5 mph winds. First flight went great but landed sooner as it was getting kind of far. Brought it back new battery-took off and about 10-15 ft up it banked left and nosed in to the water for no apparent reason. Broken wing but should be an easy repair. Using an 8ch futaba pcm micro receiver
So after my repair I rerouted the servo wires, motor wires and antenna so none were within an inch of each other. I also wrapped tinfoil on the motor wires as to sheild any electromagnetic pulses they may send to the antenna and had 6 very successful flights. Getting 24-25 min of flight on my 1500 mah batts-just easy flying and some gliding. Had a couple of dunks but aeroplate on the electronics took care of that. On the 7th flight she started to turn left. Brought her in with a dunk and the rudder servo was going nuts! After I dried it out it seemed fine, but I was leery as I was unable to waterproof the servos as the previous owner had glued them in-well one day the rudder was fine and the next it was off and then the next it was OK. I wasnt willing to chance it so I have now removed all the servos with some minor case damage but now they all have aeroplate. The rudder servo had begun to corrode from the previous dunks.Cleaned it up with isopropyl alcohol,gave her aeroplate tested and seems good now. Still have to reinstall all the servos and then test again. This is an awesome little plane and a real head turner and is just like the birds-if you didnt know better! Is it Friday yet!
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Last edited by fairplane; Aug 12, 2009 at 01:32 AM. Reason: pics added
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:48 PM
USA, FL, Poinciana
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
So I just got my seawind in the mail yesterday and put it together last night. I know it's foam, but this plane is a thing of beauty. I decided to taxi it around today and what-do-you-know, the thing ended up in the air. Got 2 great flights out of it so far. I even slid one of the wingtips in the water during the flight. This was a straight to water maiden. I have played with this model a few times on Realflight so I wasn't completely in the dark with how it flies. It also lands easier than the RFG4.5 version. It likes to tip over alot on G4.5. I wonder if it's because the CG if further forward than my setup? Anyways, I'm loving it so far.
rewstad is offline Find More Posts by rewstad
Last edited by rewstad; Aug 13, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 06:36 AM
USA, FL, Poinciana
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
You guys were right about the water rudder not being the most effective. But I think it has something to do with its setup. It seems to turn well one way and not the other. It may be because of the flex in the control rod. Someone could try a gold-n-rod in there or some kind of pull-pull setup. It seems OK to me for now so I'll leave it as is until I start doing some mods. This is my "backyard flyer" so I would like to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks to you guys who suggested the RxR version. Made it very simple for me.
rewstad is offline Find More Posts by rewstad
Old Aug 15, 2009, 07:30 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,156 Posts
Welcome to Seawind-itess. It's a very pleasant "sickness" to have.
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:54 AM
Pyrmont, Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2000
260 Posts
Had fun flying my Seawind #2 last weekend. No major dramas! I took my waterproofing to the extreme with this one (I fly off saltwater) and the effort finally seems to have paid off

The extended water rudder makes a world of difference. Turning is noticeably more responsive even at low speeds. I can wag the tail standing still in the water. I cut mine out of sheet plastic (the stuff that the dividers in a tackle box are made of) and secured it with a single bolt and "black tacked" the lower end (so in case it snags it won't pull the rudder off).

Everyone says this is a sweet flyer and I agree mostly, but does anyone else notice that their seawind had no stability at all? She wants to wander all over the sky, and flick over in mid turn. If I took my thumbs off the sticks, it would quickly roll over and spiral. I've tried CG on the spar, a little further back, forward CG. Same behavior throughout.

The best thing with this though, is slipping in a perfect landing into the water and taxiing back to the boat, or shore
Tooly is offline Find More Posts by Tooly
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:43 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,156 Posts
Oversized water rudder sounds like a good mod. You may want to check the elevator and rudder pushrods. Mine had started to rust and would bind in the pushrod tubes. CorrosionX in the tube and a good wipe down of the rod with steel wool and CorrosionX solved the problem. It's steady as a rock now. You might also check your elevator throw. Too much elevator throw will make the Seawind snap even at flying speed. Hope this helps.
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:02 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
I dunked mine last week when I hit a wave on takeoff. The rx was waterproofed by putting it in a balloon, held closed with wire ties, so I figured it would be ok in a dunking. Well, nothing worked after the dunking. On closer inspection I found that the balloon had deteriorated since I installed it (this is my third season with the Seawind).

This time I completely encapsulated both the rx and ESC with GOOP. On the ESC I left the heatsink surface clear of GOOP, so it still gets good cooling.

I already put it to the test. The temp was about 95 degrees and my brain wasn't working 100% in that heat. I launched the SW without changing the radio model memory. It was set for my Gemini, which is an elevon setting. It nosed in badly as I applied up elevator and filled with water. Everything was 100% after clearing out the water.

So GOOP or I suppose any good silicone, if applied correctly, works great for waterproofing. The SW lives to fly another day
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy