HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2009, 07:03 PM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
311 Posts
Hi Rewstad --

I did the airframe / Hobby City build and I'm very happy with it. I'm using the Turnigy 2213-20 / 1050kv motor with the HobbyKing SS 30A Esc, HXT900 servos, some Zippy 3S/1500mah packs and the HobbyKing T6A 2.4G radio. Works great. While I've only seen one other Seawind EP in the flesh running the stock Rimfire motor, my guess is that mine has about equal performance. I would not call the Turnigy motor a hop-up. That said it's plenty fast and powerful as is, as you've no doubt read in the threads. I would be somewhat wary of overpowering this model as well, since lots of people have had the motor tear off the nacelle.

This plane looks just fantastic in the air and gives pretty great performance compared to virtually anything with floats. I know you'll be happy. Good luck with the build.

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2009, 07:13 PM
Joined Mar 2009
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewstad
Anyways. I want to get frame and give it the hobbycity treament. tr28-30 1050kv motor, hxt9000, flightmax 1500mah 20c, turnigy 30amp esc. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help gus. I was gonna get the PNP version, but in my experience I have found they usually put cheaper items in those versions. i.e. es50 instead of futaba s3114 which has twice the torque and is slightly faster. I know hobbycity has some cheap stuff, but I still think my choices have to be better than what will be supplied. The PNP is 189.00. My version will be 109+10.84+19.60+3.65(3)=150.39.
In my experience, you'll want to maximize torque, even going up to an APC 9x6, and if you do this, you may be overdriving this motor, which is rated at 14 amps peak.

I and another owner on this thread run this motor with a 9x6
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=836

Here's another turnigy that has a higher amp rating. Both of these will will work fine if you mount behind the firewall with the X mount in front of the firewall and use slightly longer screws.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...s_Motor_1000kv
primco is offline Find More Posts by primco
Old Aug 06, 2009, 11:02 PM
USA, FL, Poinciana
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
Will my motor be fine if I keep it at 8x6? I was looking for something close to the stock setup. I don't want to hop this thing up too much. I plan of flying it low and sometimes slow. I also don't want it to be too loud and disurb the neighbors. I have a fast delta pusher that goes 120mph and the prop spinning at around 25000rpm. This is what I would consider too loud. What about this one?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_(Eq_AXi_2808)
rewstad is offline Find More Posts by rewstad
Old Aug 06, 2009, 11:10 PM
USA, FL, Poinciana
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. This hepls a bunch. The PNP version is looking more attractive again. The pond in my backyard keeps calling my name and the PNP version makes it all the more faster to get there. Towerhobbies has easypay and I can just change things out as they faulter. Did you think my original motor choice was too small? Too little rated amps? In the review of the motor the guy is running an 8X6 with great success. Well....decisions, decisions.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 11:24 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Speaking of Headsuprc, an entire setup for this bird can be had there for about the same, if not cheaper than HC if you count shipping as well. The motor is $19, ESC about $17, servos are $6, shipping is $2, and you'll have it in 2 days.

I use the 2830-10, which I think is very similar to the one primco listed from HURC, about 100KV less being the only difference I could tell. I used 9" props in the beginning, and had good success with them, but dug into the foam a couple of times. Since then I have experimented with an 8x6 3 bladed Master Airscrew prop. I've only flown it once or twice, but my early thoughts are it was very similar performance to the 9" prop with similar amp draw, with no chance of damaging the foam, plus it just looks cool!

Eric
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Aug 07, 2009, 04:05 AM
USA, FL, Poinciana
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
Primco, no issues with your motor on 9x6. The site says an 8x6 was too much for this motor, but also recommends this motor for a seawind!?!?
Old Aug 07, 2009, 07:16 AM
Tallahassee, Florida
Joined Mar 2007
23 Posts
Quote:
I recently moved. Guess what? My house has a Pond/Lake behind it. Everytime I look at the glassy water I wish I had one of these planes. But why this one and not just put floats on my Super Cub or MUS. Looks like fun. Would be great to fly without having to go the the flying field. Well, our flying field is literally 2 minutes away. I feel like I'm so spoiled now. Anyways. I want to get frame and give it the hobbycity treament. tr28-30 1050kv motor, hxt9000, flightmax 1500mah 20c, turnigy 30amp esc. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help gus. I was gonna get the PNP version, but in my experience I have found they usually put cheaper items in those versions. i.e. es50 instead of futaba s3114 which has twice the torque and is slightly faster. I know hobbycity has some cheap stuff, but I still think my choices have to be better than what will be supplied. The PNP is 189.00. My version will be 109+10.84+19.60+3.65(3)=150.39. This is of couse less receiver and battery since it will be the same for both. I think I'm gonna fabricate some floats for my Super Cub until I get this thing all together. The Seawinds in this thread look so nice in the air and on the water. Thanksfor your time and help.
I have both a MUS with floats and a Seawind and live on a 55 acre lake -- it's a blast to fly both (not at the same time of course)! The MUS is an excellent plane on floats, and of course, the Seawind (despite its manufacturing shortcomings) takes to the water just like a duck. Great combination.
blueheron is offline Find More Posts by blueheron
Old Aug 07, 2009, 08:29 AM
USA, FL, Poinciana
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
Glad to here the MUS is nice on floats. Where did you get your floats for her? Do you think the GWS floats will work? May have to put it on that instead of my supercub. Would be nice to gave 2 planes for the water so I can use one for retreival just in case. Being that I don't have a boat, I don't really feel like swimming in the water back here. Anyone here highly recommending the PNP route for the seawind?
Old Aug 07, 2009, 08:42 AM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
311 Posts
Rewstad -- I can't speak to floats, but I would go for the RxR Seawind if the price was close. I recall Great Planes was offering a $30 mail-in rebate only on the RxR version this spring although I'm not sure if it's expired. Also some hobby shops have rebates for orders over a certain amount (Tower, for instance, often offers discounts to international buyers). Once you factor in one shipping charge instead of two, suddenly outfitting a bare Seawind with Chinese electronics isn't a great deal anymore.

The Great Planes electronics aren't bad, although I've been told the 25A Silver series ESC has a crappy low voltage cut-off algorithm. Installing the stock Rimfire motor in the Seawind is slightly easier than going with a non-stock powerplant due to its stupid 3-bolt mount, for which the Seawind is set-up.

If you don't already have your own radio and Rx, though, then I'd go with HobbyKing or the like for your electronics so you can also order a cheapo 2.4G system.

Those are my thoughts, for what they're worth (if you're looking for two cents you'll walk away with change...). Good luck.
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Aug 07, 2009, 09:05 AM
USA, FL, Poinciana
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
Tanks for your thoughts. I'm gonna do that. The RxR version is now in my future. It just seems easier all around. They even have easypay which helps me keep the money in my pocket for other things right now. Now I just have to order that corrosion x stuff.
Old Aug 07, 2009, 09:35 AM
USA, FL, Poinciana
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
I ordered the RxR version from tower. They have a $20 off coupon eligeble for this purchase and I also got free shipping. Doing the easypay option at less than $57 for 3 payments. I think I'll try my 2150's and 1800's first, but I may end up ordering some 1500's pretty soon. My 1800's have almost 80 cycles and im afraid the 2150's will be too heavy for my liking.
Old Aug 07, 2009, 12:11 PM
Joined Mar 2009
17 Posts
Quote:
Primco, no issues with your motor on 9x6. The site says an 8x6 was too much for this motor, but also recommends this motor for a seawind!?!?
That TP 8X6 is different than the stock 8X6. The earlier post I linked by Eric has some data on the stock prop. The EP9050x3 3-blade should draw the most current and that is what I use now, as I want more low end thrust and less top speed. I typically fly at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. 3/4 for takeoff. Flight time usually isn't an issue, since flying this plane is nerve-wracking for me and I need a break after a few mins.
primco is offline Find More Posts by primco
Old Aug 07, 2009, 03:05 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
My Seawind pre-maiden flight photo

As always, I have a photo taken for my fleet album, prior to the first flight, just in case there is a problem.
Sure enough, after this photo, my test pilot had an uncontollable problem and dunked it. We're not sure what happened but it can be repaired.
It was a beauty and will be once again!!!!
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Aug 07, 2009, 11:23 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
I used the rimfire 1250 motor on my Seawind. I used the stock prop on it, I have a total of 4 of them that I balanced. It has vertical climb, looks really sweet in the air, I did some inverted flying, (which for me is a major accomplishment) a couple of rolls, a loop and had 5 great flights.
I will get another Seawind, I messed the wing up bad. The water rudder needs to be bigger, other than that, it is a very nice flying plane. I had an 1800 mah in it, I think I needed to move it back a bit. I will get another Seawind next spring, so that I can fly off the lake more next year. I got other planes I want before I go back to the Seawind.

Corrosion X really works. I had water in mine, no problem.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 07:27 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
A larger water rudder

Conehead,
I agree a larger water rudder is needed.

Yesterday while doing pre-flight maneuvering I noticed a definite lack of water response as I increased the throttle, only when I slowed down the response improved. This lack of response at "speed" caused a problem.
I wonder if others have noticed this.

I have a friend who has this model and he takes off in about 3 feet but he has a more powerful motor and doesn't need a longer run before "rotation"
In my Seawind I have an AXI 2212/20, using a 3s 1500mah lipo with the stock GP 8x6 prop. this set-up produces 163 watts. I plan to use a 2200mah that produces 230 watts next time out.

Has anyone else noticed a larger water rudder would help?
If so what modification was made?
Thanks,
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra