HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2009, 06:40 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
I got two different sizes that I am flying right now. two are 3c 1700 13C draw and the other one is 3c 1800, 25C. They are from 2dogRC.
I have the stock battery, but I haven't tried it. I wanted to see how it flew with what I had first.

Tomorrow it is supposed to be a bit better, but who knows. Up here in MI, if you don't like the weather, wait a while, it will change. Today was windy, rain, then late it cleared up, got sunny, but was still too windy.

I am feeling a lot more comfortable flying this plane now. I had 3 flights yesterday on one lake, came home and flew two more flights off the lake I live on.
I even got it inverted, did some rolls, a few split S's. Of course the landings were not picture perfect, but that will come.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2009, 06:53 PM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,684 Posts
I put a 7g weight in the tail and my 2200 mah pack was perfect! The extra weight made it sit in the water more, which helped with takeoff and landings. Also, the great planes 28-30-1250 motor with an apc-e 9x6 was perfect and hit 20A at wot. More than enough power for the plane.

Only down side is that my third flight resulted in the motor ripping out and going for a swim mid flight.
Fidelity101 is online now Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2009, 07:09 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity101
I put a 7g weight in the tail and my 2200 mah pack was perfect! The extra weight made it sit in the water more, which helped with takeoff and landings. Also, the great planes 28-30-1250 motor with an apc-e 9x6 was perfect and hit 20A at wot. More than enough power for the plane.

Only down side is that my third flight resulted in the motor ripping out and going for a swim mid flight.
I've been meaning to drop a weight in the tail to get the CG aft without having to modify the battery tray area. I'm glad it worked well for you.

Yeah, that motor on a 9x6 ought to make this thing scream, and removing the motor mount in flight is evidence of that.

We are planning a small local float and fly here off my boat this week for some flying buddies. I'm really looking forward to it, one our guys is just finishing up a 12 ft. wingspan Sunderland, with 4 Eflite Power 32's, 4 3S 5000mah packs, and weighs in just over 22 lbs. Should be interesting to say the least! He asked if it will fit on the boat, I told him if he can get it to the marina, we'll make it fit on the boat!

Eric
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Aug 02, 2009, 06:37 AM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
We had a seaplane day at a farm dam yesterday. I was maidening my Seawind on water for first water landing and landing together with another Seawind, things were going nicely until a gust blew us together.
One of the guys caught the sequence on camera.
My prop took the wingtip off the other Seawind and he hacked my nose a little.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2673298
Glenn.
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS
Old Aug 02, 2009, 10:27 AM
Go fast, pull up.
United States, NY, Clarence Center
Joined Nov 2008
1,684 Posts
Maybe it was just my bad luck. But I had a blown motor on arrival and then water damage to follow. I should have re-read this whole thread before flying as I ended up using electrical tape to protect the insides. (Covered the wing to body area on top, bottom and sides)
Fidelity101 is online now Find More Posts by Fidelity101
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2009, 11:28 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
I think instead of trying to keep the water out, you're better off waterproofing what's inside. I have my rx in a balloon, and I filled both sides of my esc with epoxy. I even have a small air scoop installed to have a flow of air over the esc and battery when underway. I've had a few mishaps (one just this past week) where the Seawind flipped landing on choppy water, and causing water to enter the interior. I just pour out the water and I'm good to go. So far the servos have been cooperating, and I haven't waterproofed them yet. I've used waterproofing liquids on the internal parts of servos in the past, but had them freeze up after a year of two due to the solution becoming thick enough to gum up the gears. I think that was called "The Stuff", and I suppose the newer products might work better.

As far as the motor, submerging it won't hurt it. At least not in freshwater. Saltwater is another story, and if a motor should be submerged in salt water, I would try and rinse in fresh water as soon as possible....

Danny
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Aug 02, 2009, 02:31 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
The fact is, anyone who's ever owned a boat or seen the Hoover Damn knows, no matter what you do you will never keep water out. It's a tricky little bugger and will always find a way in. You can seal all the cracks, put electronics in a baloon, or tape everything shut, eventually water will end up inside. Directly waterproofing the PCB's of the equipment is the only way you will come close to preventing damage. Think of it this way too, what if you auger it in and destroy the plane. Will sealing it all up prevent water damage in that situation? No, so do you want to replace just the airframe, or all the electrics as well?

I've had water in my Seawind that was up to the rim of the canopy comparment. Everything was mounted as it is supposed to be, receiver in a plastic bag with a zip tie tightly holding it shut, but at the end of the day the only thing that saved the equipment was CorrosionX. I had to remove the zip tie, plastic bag, and receiver case to pour water out of the receiver. It still works perfectly! I also took the bottoms off my servos so I could dip their PCB's in CorrosionX as well, also work perfectly!

As for putting epoxy on your ESC shrink wrap ends to protect it, I'm glad that works for you, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that as a way to waterproof it. I'm guessing it will further prevent proper cooling, and in the end is not garuanteed to keep the water out. You could have the smallest gaps around the wires, or cracks could develdop over time. It's just another way to keep water out, and isn't waterproofing the PCB.

CorrosionX is $20 for a large bottle, get some if you can. People don't continue to recommend it because it's cool, or they have stock in it. They do because it works, and nearly $100 worth of my equipment still has life because of it is proof, at least to me! I was like many of you, trying to find another way, or a replacement product, because I couldn't find it locally and it seemed too expensive to have it shipped. In the end I found it on eBay for less than $20. Do yourself a favor and stop looking for something else, find a way to get it! You'll be thankful you did, trust me!

Eric
Old Aug 02, 2009, 11:25 PM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
The other thing you can do is if you drown a motor, to spray it with WD-40 as part of the drying out process. After all, that is what the WD stands for (water displacement).
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Aug 03, 2009, 08:42 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Forgot to mention using a lubricant afterwards....good idea.

Also, I think a lot of people don't know that back in the old "brushed motor days" we would actually submerse motors in water with a few drops of dish washing soap added, and break in the motors under-water before use.
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Aug 03, 2009, 08:53 AM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,891 Posts
the guy that made WD40 died last week
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Aug 03, 2009, 11:28 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by va3mw
The other thing you can do is if you drown a motor, to spray it with WD-40 as part of the drying out process. After all, that is what the WD stands for (water displacement).
The only thing that would concern me in doing this, as it did several people way back in this thread when others were talking about submerging their motors in CorrosionX. The fear was it could thin out and remove the grease packed in the motor's bearing. I don't know enough about motor parts and construction to say for sure, but I would ask your motor manufacturer, or at least one of the motor experts in the power system forum before using another lubricant in the motor. I've always just made sure I run the motor thoroughly after getting it wet to make sure it's dry, but if this is a better way, I'd certainly use it. I would just want to make sure I wasn't doing any damage in another way before I did.

Eric
Old Aug 03, 2009, 11:13 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Well I tossed my Seawind into Duck Lake, where the float fly was, taxied out, well I tried to and in the process I didn't shut it down fast enough, into the dock supports it went and now a new wing is needed.
Corrosion X works great. I got it wet on Friday and had no problems. I had to blow the water out of the motor and then it was all good. I flew it 5 flights total, then the attempt on Sunday and now I will change the next one to two servos in the wing so that I can have flaperons if I want, but I like the idea of two wing servos.

Friday was a great day. i got really comfortable with the Seawind and I know I can fly it well and just a couple of modifications will make it a bit better. Longer water rudder and I think moving the battery back farther will make all the difference in the world.

I think they must have sold a ton of those planes.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, Mi.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Aug 04, 2009, 12:19 AM
Joined Sep 2006
588 Posts
My own experience with WD-40 has been positive. I was flying my Seawind EP off Lake Tahoe (elevation 6200') when all of a sudden my audience started cheering my smoke trail. After flying off snow all winter, the warmer weather and and a better prop lead me to push my BP 2212-10 to the 200 watt level too long. My smoke trail was fried motor windings and my first inclination was to get down to the water ASAP which resulted in a cross wind, cross chop dunking of the whole mess. After blowing out the receiver (berg) and the esc (electrifly 25 amp) and then adding a squirt of WD-40 into both components, I was able to salvage them. The motor I am keeping as a reminder to "read the fine print". When I bought the BP motor, what I saw on the site was a 180 watt limit, which I assummed was the continuous power available. I assummed that I would be able to pull well over 200 watts on a burst basis. When I first put the seawind together with the stock prop, I was able to get 185-190 watts with a fully charged battery. Due to an encounter with a tree while flying off of a canal, I ended up with an APC 8x6 prop. With a well balanced prop and with a fully charged battery, I was able to get over 200 watts. But flying off of snow in mid winter I never used full power and never had a problem. But a hot summer afternoon flying off of choppy water full throttle was a common occurance. After the motor died I went back to the BP site and read the fine print which clearly stated "180 watts max, prop to fly at 140 watts with occasional bursts to 180watts.

On the positive side, having 200+ watts on tap makes it a lot easier to get off the water.
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447
Old Aug 06, 2009, 05:44 AM
building building building!
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennS
We had a seaplane day at a farm dam yesterday. I was maidening my Seawind on water for first water landing and landing together with another Seawind, things were going nicely until a gust blew us together.
One of the guys caught the sequence on camera.
My prop took the wingtip off the other Seawind and he hacked my nose a little.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2673298
Glenn.
We caught it on film too Glenn!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post12793974
aerophilia is offline Find More Posts by aerophilia
Old Aug 06, 2009, 06:38 PM
USA, FL, Poinciana
Joined Jul 2008
86 Posts
I recently moved. Guess what? My house has a Pond/Lake behind it. Everytime I look at the glassy water I wish I had one of these planes. But why this one and not just put floats on my Super Cub or MUS. Looks like fun. Would be great to fly without having to go the the flying field. Well, our flying field is literally 2 minutes away. I feel like I'm so spoiled now. Anyways. I want to get frame and give it the hobbycity treament. tr28-30 1050kv motor, hxt9000, flightmax 1500mah 20c, turnigy 30amp esc. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help gus. I was gonna get the PNP version, but in my experience I have found they usually put cheaper items in those versions. i.e. es50 instead of futaba s3114 which has twice the torque and is slightly faster. I know hobbycity has some cheap stuff, but I still think my choices have to be better than what will be supplied. The PNP is 189.00. My version will be 109+10.84+19.60+3.65(3)=150.39. This is of couse less receiver and battery since it will be the same for both. I think I'm gonna fabricate some floats for my Super Cub until I get this thing all together. The Seawinds in this thread look so nice in the air and on the water. Thanksfor your time and help.
rewstad is offline Find More Posts by rewstad