SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:57 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
LeftyF,
I would change out the servo. I would also make sure the other ones are or have been lubricated. Not worth losing your Seawind for one servo.
Granted it could be anomaly, but do you want that anomaly to happen when you are in the air and if it goes hard left, you may not be able to get your Seawind down.
maybe, just maybe you need to change your name!! if the rudder goes left, it may be trying to be like your name. just kidding!!

Ok, I got my Seawind sealed, did that job the other night. Put the silicone on the body, installed the wing, left it sit for about 30 hours or so and last night I pulled it apart. Seems to have been very successful, for my first try. Then I took out the speed control and rec. I am using a 2DogRC 30 amp speed control and an AR6100 end pin rec. Put the Corrosion X on those, let them sit overnight, today I blew them out with the air compressor and then reinstalled them in the Seawind and then plugged in all the servos and installed the wing and checked to make sure everything worked. I powered up the plane and everything works. I took the Seawind out to the beach and checked to make sure it balanced laterally and now as we get a clam morning, I want glass like water, we will fly it off the lake. I also put some Blenderm tape on the leading portion of the canopy.

Will let you know how the maiden water flight goes. There is a float fly on 1 August on a lake close to me, I want to fly this year. Last year I went, didn't have anything to fly since I dorked my great float plane. It was a Joe Birde design that is not made any more.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:19 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I have a new technique to flying my seawind off our cabin cruiser at the lake.. I wait til there are a lot of boats nearby and then put it in the water.. I water taxi it around for 5 min or more so people think it's just an RC boat.. then? I put the coals to it and take off.. you should hear the bantar.. "HEY!. .that thing took off!.. it's FLYING!"... voices carry far over water.. One little girl said "daddy? what if he crashes it into OUR boat?".. Of course you always get the "neato!, I want one, ask him where we can get one!". .etc. etc.. (btw, in no wind situations, it's just as much fun to drive it like a boat as it is to fly it, however the urge to Rise Off Water eventually becomes too great and then the urge to do outside loops overcomes me.. etc. etc.. did I mention I'm on my THIRD seawind?)
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:26 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
BTW. I buy corrosion X buy the CASE.. I prefer the aresol cans but also have a gallon of the liquid that I use in a spray bottle
Old Jul 26, 2009, 08:59 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
tic,
sounds like or seems like you missed the landings a few times and had a couple of incidents with boats.

By the case, I couldn't use that much Corrosion X in years. I got a can of spray and a trigger bottle. I don't think I will use them up in the rest of my life.

I found out this winter, just a little throttle and you are airborne with the Seawind. I went out to taxi on the lake, with about 6 inches of snow on top of the 8-10 inches of ice. I went about 20 feet and then I was flying.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2009, 09:21 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I use corroison X on everything.. snowmobile trailer, truck chassis.. etc.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:45 AM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead
LeftyF,
I would change out the servo. I would also make sure the other ones are or have been lubricated. Not worth losing your Seawind for one servo.
Granted it could be anomaly, but do you want that anomaly to happen when you are in the air and if it goes hard left, you may not be able to get your Seawind down.

Hmm, well when you put it like that I have to agree. Ordered a new servo. I hate to ground the plane while I wait for it to come in, but it's better than having a midair issue. I hate to swap parts when I can't reproduce an issue, but it's a cheap thing to swap.

Thanks for the good advice!
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:30 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
LeftyF,
I had an incident with a gas plane once. I was pretty new in the hobby, still am in many ways, and I didn't check a servo close and had flown the plane a number of times. Then on take-off the servo stuck, plane went in and it could have been really bad, I was really lucky. After checking the servo again, we found it had a stripped gear, didn't show up right away.

So nowI check, and recheck if something happens, I swap out parts, only because I don't want another close call.
When you have almost $300 in an airplane and one little problem could lead to many others, it is not worth a $20 servo.

It could be just a glitch that happened once, who really knows, but why chance it.
Where I fly we have a frequency checker that we use, many of us are on 2.4 but we still check 72. Once night the checker lit up like a Christmas tree. We had many problems that night with 72, not with 2.4

Drats, no comments on your rudder going left, like you name. I was really trying to be funny.
You could fly your Seawind. I want to fly mine, I had an almost ideal lake this morning. Maybe tomorrow will be the same.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2009, 02:14 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Yea, I have to agree - definitely not worth risking it, even if there's nothing wrong with the servo. I have tested it at least 8 times since that incident and can not get it to happen again, but I do see the logic in putting in a new servo just in case. I just hope it's not something else! As I said too, if it's going to be one of the channels I'll take rudder, as it doesn't have much authority on this plane anyway, at least not once it's in the air
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:30 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
It flies!! Today I tried the maiden my Seawind on water. I got it up, flew it around some and got it trimmed and down without any real trouble. I had to re-adjust the elevator some, but finally got it flying very well and I was really happy to be able to fly it without dorking it.

I got three flights in and I got lots of power.

I found that the wing was a bit loose and checked it out. Seems the wing saddle bolt was lose, so I checked and as others have had happen, I had to reglue the wing saddle. Tomorrow is the float fly on another lake, hope it is dry by then.

I feel a lot better flying this plane. I kept it close at times, found out it will go straight up, did a couple of loops, a number of split S's and even flipped it onto high rates and did a couple of rolls, now it is fast.

This plane glides like a rock at times. Landings are still tough and the water rudder needs to lengthened.
I will post some pictures my wife shot today when I can find them. This darn old ibook, now and then I just can't find them.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2009, 11:53 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead
This plane glides like a rock at times. Landings are still tough and the water rudder needs to lengthened.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Mine seems to glide forever. I have to set up way out and let it bleed off speed till its ready to land. Where is your CG.You may be a little nose heavy. My CG is set right on the CF spar in the wing.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 01, 2009, 12:40 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
Mine seems to glide forever. I have to set up way out and let it bleed off speed till its ready to land. Where is your CG.You may be a little nose heavy. My CG is set right on the CF spar in the wing.
McD
I agree, I have to set this plane on approach much further out than any of my other planes, or she just glides right on by.......>
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Aug 01, 2009, 01:00 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Yes, mine glides just fine also. I sometimes take it up to the limit and just turn it into a sailplane. Well, it doesn't exactly thermal, expecially over the lake, but it glides well. Of couse, make sure your ESC brake is enabled, or the windmilling prop will work as a speed brake, killing your glide.

I flew mine at the lake a few days ago, and to my surprise the boat anchored about 200 feet away from me had a amphibous also, and launched his seconds after mine was airborne. Turns out he had a Seawind also. They must have sold a ton of these. BTW, I guess he was on 2.4mhz, because he didn't think to ask what channel I was on. Anyway, it was interesting flying with another of the same exact plane. You can't take your eyes off of your's for a second....

Danny
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Aug 01, 2009, 01:08 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
I am still playing with CG, so yes mine is nose heavy and I am playing with it.

I will try moving the battery back some, I will also see how it glides with the CG
moved back some.

I didn't have as much pucker factor as the first flight and now that I got it trimmed out, I feel a lot better about it.
No float fly today, way too windy, about 13-18 mph, rain and waves. Maybe tomorrow, who knows.
I will post pictures later today when I find them on this computer.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2009, 01:35 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Nice - glad you got it up and back without incident. That's a great feeling, especially landing on water. What size battery are you using in the plane? Mine also glides quite well with a Rhino / Zippy 1550, but if you get too heavy it might cause the bad glide behavior.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 02:06 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
A heavier weighted airplane will actually glide further, since momentum and speed are higher. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true!

Eric
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320