HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:27 PM
Joined Mar 2009
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
Conehead,
I always coat ESC's, RX and electrical connectors outside of the plane before I install them. I wait until all the extra fluid has dripped off, then I tamp it dry with a paper towel. Remember, all you need is a light, film coating. Quantity is not what you're going for here. Try coating a 1/4" part of the foam on an inconspicuous part of the plane. I use a detail paint brush for coating all electrical connectors. On ESC's and RX's, I inject Corrosion X with a syringe. By the way, the Corrosion X I have is not red as you can see in the photo.
I'd take the shrinkwrap cover off. I fried a HeadsUpRC 20amp ESC by pouring CorrosionX into it and letting it drip out. After a day, I hooked it up and it beeped and died. A week later I cut the cover off and found lots of CorrosionX inside on the parts. The components need to drain well or I think you risk shorting them. I don't know if it's just this ESC that is not tolerant of CorrosionX or the fact that it didn't drain properly. Jeff said he'd had no reports of this happening. The next ESC I got from them is just getting a silicone seal on either end.
primco is offline Find More Posts by primco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:37 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
I completely submerged my ESC and receiver in CorrosionX and then turned them up on end and let them drain overnight. I took the receiver out of the case to do it. Both have worked flawlessly for months now. The ESC is a CC Phx25 and the receiver is a Hitec Electron 6 if that means anything.

Eric
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:43 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,835 Posts
Red CorrosionX refers to to the color of the can not the contents.

CorrosionX has a dielectric strength of 40,000 volts. It can not short out any part of an ESC. The Mfgr's demo is to emerse a working color TV in a 5 gallon bucket of CorrosionX and it continues to work just fine under the liquid.

I saturate my electronics in CorrosionX and then let the excess drip off on a paper towel - that's just so I don't make a mess in the fuse.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:45 AM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
I soaked my Electrifly 20A ESC and Spektrum AR6100 receiver with CorrosionX , drained them out and let them dry overnight about 6 months and many fights ago and I've had no issues. Also painted it on the boards in the servos. I tested a little early and I had some jitter in the elevator servo, but after letting the receiver dry overnight this went away and has never recurred. Did you use the stuff in the red pump bottle? (see http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-Tech...8360259&sr=8-2)
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:42 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
755 Posts
Lefty,
Red pump bottle, that's the stuff, should last you the rest of your rc flying life!
Fast Freddy is online now Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:24 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
Lefty,
Red pump bottle, that's the stuff, should last you the rest of your rc flying life!
Yea, I know. I use it on the boat and on our electric golf cart too, so I may actually go through it in the next 5 to 10 years. wonder what the shelf life is on this stuff?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:40 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
I got the wings and that area sealed with silicone and I will spray Corrosion X on the rec and speed control. I will let it drip out and then get my air compressor out and put the little nozzle on it and blow the esc and rec with some air. I hope that will make sure it gets to all the right places and then I will let it dry for a day or so.

Right now we got a really nice storm. Lots of lightning and thunder and rain, rain and more rain. If the weather person is anywhere close in their forecasts, it doesn't look very good for flying for a couple of days.

I want a really calm day to fly this Seawind. While flying it in the winter was a handful, over the water could be just about as good. I hope the pucker factor is much less this time. I have painted the left wing tip red, put some black and white checkerboards on the bottom of the left wing. If I find my Short Cuts, I got some, but where they really are, is a problem right now. I put them away so I would know where to find them, but I forgot where they are. I wanted to keep them from freezing, so their are either in my wife's quilting room with her long arm machine, or in the pump house which is heated in the winter. So I only got two places more to look.

Then I will be ready for the water flight.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:47 AM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
I hear you - I totaled my first fuse flying on the ice on a gray day in too much wind on it's maiden flight. The plane got blown far enough away that it just disappeared against the snow and ice and crashed nose first. I taped it up and I still have it as a spare "winter fuse". Over water on a clear day with light wind is really where this plane belongs, and it does it very well. Much easier to see, and handles the water quite well and flies extremely well.

So here's my head scratcher for the day. This morning I took the Seawind out on the boat to the middle of our cove, powered up the transmitter (DX6i) and receiver (AR 6100), checked the throws and throttle and dropped it in the water. I immediately heard a servo go to full throw and saw the rudder was hard over. I moved the rudder stick around and the rudder came back to center, then went hard over again. I taxied around to see if I could get it centered long enough to taxi back to the boat but no dice. I powered the transmitter off and on to see if it would re-seek but the issue remained. I used the trolling motor to go retrieve the plane (once again glad I took the boat!) and brought it back to the dock. I powered up the plane and did a range test and all seemed fine. I took it home and checked that the rudder servo plug was well seated in the receiver and it looks ok. The antennas seem fine and are away from the power, and I've flown the plane several times in the past with this receiver without any issues. It may be of note that the DX6i is new, but I checked the recall list and it's manufacture date is not on the notice. I've also used it with 2 other planes with no problems. Really strange!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 08:52 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyF
Yea, I know. I use it on the boat and on our electric golf cart too, so I may actually go through it in the next 5 to 10 years. wonder what the shelf life is on this stuff?
Corrosion X shelf life is probably the rest of your life, my life and more!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:23 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
LeftyF,
did you check the transmitter and see what the throws said? Could it be that at some point the transmitter got turned on and into programing mode and somehow the rudder servo got changed one way or another?

Don't have an answer, but just thinking off the top of my head. Have you tried swapping servos out?

Maybe, just maybe the rec is bad?
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, Mi.
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:27 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
No, I checked and the throws are right. As soon as I pulled the plane back in the boat and cycled the power to the receiver I was not able to reproduce the issue. The servo and receiver appear to now be working flawlessly. When I got home I put the plane at the end of my driveway, powered it up, put the transmitter in range check mode and walked up the hill checking the rudder. Tested until I could barely see the plane and it was still working fine. I've plugged all the servo wires back into the receiver and flipped it around to get the antennas away from the aeleron servo, so I'll see if it happens again. Very strange, but I think worst case if the rudder acts up in flight I should be able to bring it down on aelerons and elevator.

Thanks for the ideas
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:59 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
755 Posts
Lefty,
Agree with Conehead. Hold old are your servos? Have the servos ever been submerged in water? Usually the plastic casing that surrounds a servo is watertight except for where the servo shaft exits the plastic housing. I put a dab of Vaseline around those shafts as well to help seal them up. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 04:11 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
The servos have never been wet, and they only have maybe 6 flights on them. I waterproofed the boards in the servos about 9 months ago when I built the plane, but it's never gotten wet. I would also assume if it was the servo it would be reproducable? I've tried several times since this morning to get it to do it again, but it's working flawlessly now. It is tempting to replace the servo just to be on the safe side, but I'm kind of leaning twords some sort of interference, in as much as it seemed to clear up when I cycled power to the receiver. As if some cell phone on another boat was dialing my rudder ;-) The other thing that makes me think interference was the way it was behaving. It was not like a servo failure where it will jitter erratically - it would go hard left, then allow input for a few seconds, then go hard left. Seemed to be at a fixed interval. Lucky it happened right near the boat, rather than as I was taking off!
Last edited by LeftyF; Jul 25, 2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 04:42 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
755 Posts
Hmnn,
Got me!
Old Jul 25, 2009, 05:00 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Yea, just chalking it up to an anomaly unless it happens again...