SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:31 AM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
Conehead,
On orientation, how close or far away are you flying the Seawind? It's a small plane, fly it in close to you. You have 3 boats! Ever try flying from the boat? If you have an offshore breeze, you'll have to takeoff going towards you. Not fun. When you fly from a boat, you can fly any flight pattern you desire. If you have a mishap, you can get to the plane much faster. I hate flying waterplanes from a shoreline, makes me nervous. If something goes wrong you might have to deal with property and more importantly, people. Just my 2 cents worth.
I totally agree. I take the plane out on my boat early in the morning and putt out to the middle of a large bay where I have a nice big circle around the boat to fly. I also have an electric trolling motor on the boat so I can get the plane without the main engine on, so less wake and no chance of shredding the plane in the main prop. I have not yet had an issue where I had to retrieve the plane this way, but I love not having to worry about it in case it flips on a landing, etc...
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2009, 06:27 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,063 Posts
FF and Lefty,
I have never flown from a boat. Since it is only 36 feet from the front door to the lake, I fly off the shore and off a small dock that I have installed. I do have to watch out when landing, have to avoid my hoists, other hoists that are about 100 feet out into the lake.

I do have to fly the Seawind closer. It is pretty quick, which I am not used quick. I do need to fly a lot closer. I have to be aware of the trees along the shore. In the winter I walk out about 100 feet and fly, as I said, I have to watch orentation due to snow. A little blue on the plane and lots of white, sky, land, lake, plane, doesn't make it easy to see.
Yes the Seawind got too far away. I have to fly it more like my Bug than my big Telemaster. All this is a learning experience, I am learning, sometimes the hard way, other times via people who are way!!!!!!smarter than me.

Thanks for the advise. Early in the morning, there are only a few people on the lake, mostly fishermen.
Well my wife owns two of the boats. An old 14 ft Larson with a 70 hp outboard, a Mastercraft that she skis behind, my Duck Boat which is camo and while you can hunt and fish out of, I have never thrown a line in the lake, I don't hunt ducks, mostly because I don't want to clean them.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jul 11, 2009, 06:45 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
882 Posts
Conehead,
Try it, you'll like it, flying from a boat that is. It's the only way I fly waterplanes. Take it out a ways, away from people and property, drop your anchor and go fly. You won't be disappointed! Myself, I'm a water freak from way back, high school swim team, sailing, canoeing, windsurfing, etc. For me flying from a boat was a way to enjoy being on the water and fly at the same time. Heck, if it gets too hot here in Madison, WI and I'm flying from the boat, I can always secure the ladder to the side and jump in and take a swim. What else can one ask for?
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Jul 12, 2009, 10:32 AM
USA, VA, Harrisonburg
Joined Jul 2005
61 Posts
Hand launches are kind of hard to do with this plane. not that it cant be done, its just difficult to find a good place to hold.Mine ROG's nicely and i quit trying to hand launch. You have to hold up elevator toget it going(due to the high thrust line), then as speed builds just ease off the elevator and let it fly off the grass .

When I used to hand launch, I would point the model a lot higher than my other hand launched models due to the tendency to dive just after release.

Pete
jmupilot is offline Find More Posts by jmupilot
Old Jul 18, 2009, 03:07 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Crash Problem

Well, it turned out my problem with the crash was a bad RX. I don't know if it just went bad, or if my waterproofing job caused a problem with it? Anyway, that was it. Just thought I'd let y'all know.

Lobo
Lobo is offline Find More Posts by Lobo
Old Jul 18, 2009, 03:56 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
882 Posts
Lobo,
How did you waterproof the RX? If you were running a Spektrum radio and RX, I don't think you had radio interference. Did you charge / check your battery before you took off?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:55 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Lobo,
How did you waterproof the RX? If you were running a Spektrum radio and RX, I don't think you had radio interference. Did you charge / check your battery before you took off?
I used Corrosion Block. It's a blue can of liquid squirt/spray. I was running a Hitec Flash 5x TX with a Hitec 555 RX. Battery was fully charged. I've even used it to check out things without recharging it, 'cause I didn't get to fly very long on it before the crash.

After everthing dried out for days, I hooked up again and got no reponse from controls. Went and got another RX, plugged it up, and got complete control back.

Lobo
Old Jul 18, 2009, 05:13 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
882 Posts
Lobo,
I looked at the Corrosion Block website and they claim it's a block for all electronics. That being the case, the RX probably malfunctioned. Happens.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:49 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Lobo,
I looked at the Corrosion Block website and they claim it's a block for all electronics. That being the case, the RX probably malfunctioned. Happens.
Yeah....but why to me?!?!?! Ha!
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:12 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
882 Posts
Lobo,
You could contact Hitec, explain to them what happened, send it in, they might give you a new receiver, servos, whatever. Try it, see what happens, you won't know unless you try. I had a GP EP Seawind that literally burned up due to a faulty ESC. I sent the ESC into Great Planes and they sent me a new plane, ESC and battery, no questions asked. Turns out there were a bunch of faulty GP ESC's that were burning up all over the place.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 07:37 PM
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Aug 2003
456 Posts
Quote:
Lobo,
You could contact Hitec, explain to them what happened, send it in, they might give you a new receiver, servos, whatever. Try it, see what happens, you won't know unless you try. I had a GP EP Seawind that literally burned up due to a faulty ESC. I sent the ESC into Great Planes and they sent me a new plane, ESC and battery, no questions asked. Turns out there were a bunch of faulty GP ESC's that were burning up all over the place.
I would, but, I already threw it out and the garbage man has come and gone! Thanks for the idea, though. However, I did open it and waterproof it.....that might make them not to eager to replace it??

Lobo
Old Jul 20, 2009, 08:08 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
882 Posts
Ah yes, if you opened up the RX to waterproof it, you probably voided the warranty.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 02:53 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,063 Posts
Seems lots of people on this forum have used the Corrosion X red stuff.

Always keep old recs that bite the dust. Send them back, ask questions. They may or may not work with you, but my experience has been quite good with most of the manufactures. You never know what they will do.

My question is this, does Corrosion X red stuff do anything to foam in the Seawind/ If it does then I will take the rec and speed control out and put Corrosion X on those items outside the fuse.

Got to seal the wing and fuse also, now I got the stuff to do it. Then it will be time for the Duck Boat to have it ready to go get it if necessary.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:13 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
882 Posts
Conehead,
I always coat ESC's, RX and electrical connectors outside of the plane before I install them. I wait until all the extra fluid has dripped off, then I tamp it dry with a paper towel. Remember, all you need is a light, film coating. Quantity is not what you're going for here. Try coating a 1/4" part of the foam on an inconspicuous part of the plane. I use a detail paint brush for coating all electrical connectors. On ESC's and RX's, I inject Corrosion X with a syringe. By the way, the Corrosion X I have is not red as you can see in the photo.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 05:35 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,063 Posts
FF,
Thanks, I will take the stuff out. Not a big deal.
Now it is time to seal the darn thing up.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member