Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 09, 2007, 04:50 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthbound
Lots of ROG flights today. Using TP1320PL batteries all the way forward still needed about 1/2 oz of lead in nose to achieve recommended CG. Then realized factory CG is ultra conservative and can be shifted rearward.
Mine is flying better than before with a 1320 in the nose and no extra weight.....some are doing fine even further back..the factory CG is indeed over conservative for competent flyers.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2007, 05:20 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
What kind of watts are you guys getting on a 1320?

I may decide to purchase a new one.
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:15 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,966 Posts
Doot, Doot, Doot,Looking out my back door...

Time to grab the Seawind and head down to the water for a little early morning flight.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:33 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
Doot, Doot, Doot,Looking out my back door...

Time to grab the Seawind and head down to the water for a little early morning flight.

Mike McD
Nice!
I get down to TX (Little Elm) frequently, but I don't ever recall it being that calm.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:43 AM
It's a good day to fly.
Ithaca, NY
Joined May 2004
538 Posts
Nice back yard.
berryulson is offline Find More Posts by berryulson
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:15 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
151 Posts
I testfly my Seawind yesterday. No wind at all. Started from grass without any problem. CG located as the manual say, 25 mm from LE.

Seawind fly great at normal to high speed. At low speed Seawind drop down the air "like a stone". I have 12 mm at full up elevator.

What can I change so I can fly Seawind slower? It would be great e. g. to land at slow speed.

I do hope you anderstand my english?

/Tomas D.
Sweden
Tomas Dunker is offline Find More Posts by Tomas Dunker
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:39 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
151 Posts
Is it possible to delete this message?

If so, how do I delete it?
Last edited by Tomas Dunker; Sep 16, 2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:12 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Tomas

Your English is fine- much better than my non-existent Swedish.

My Seawind flies quickly, it is a very sleek shape. I could slow it a bit and fly it at a high angle of attack with the motor adjusting the rate of decent.

I noticed my prop tips are also "bent" and it is not all that close to the fuselage that the clearance was needed. I liked the look of the spinner s I have not ries a replacement prop.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Sep 12, 2007, 01:05 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,966 Posts
Tomas, Your Seawind is too nose heavy. The factory recommended location is very conservative. Move your Center of Gravity farther back and the plane will fly much slower and will not drop the nose on landings. I set my CG on the CF wing spars. You should be able to move your flight battery pack back about 1" and get this CG location. The only down side to a more rearward CG is that the elevator will be more sensitive and too much down elevator during inverted flight may cause a snap.
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:26 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,966 Posts
It's finally done!

I just submitted the formal review for the Seawind to RCGroups. Review should be published this next week some time. Here's a peek at one of the pics from the review.

Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:15 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Thanks Kingsflyer. Really looking forward to the review!.... Here's a pic of mine
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Sep 16, 2007, 06:25 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
151 Posts
Now I have my Seawinds CG moved back to the CF wing spars (42 mm from LE). To check the CG I have made a "flexi-CG-thing" for the balancing stand. See pic...
I like the stand, I can use it to other models just making an other pair of "flexi-CG-thing".
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:06 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
That is a pretty clever little extension Tomas.
How do you like flying the Seawind with the new CG?

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Sep 16, 2007, 02:27 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Dunker
Now I have my Seawinds CG moved back to the CF wing spars (42 mm from LE). To check the CG I have made a "flexi-CG-thing" for the balancing stand. See pic...
I like the stand, I can use it to other models just making an other pair of "flexi-CG-thing".
Not a bad idea..larger models will likely need that upright finger at the front removed to enable the use of the CG stand on them.

I have had the Seawind out every weekend since it was completed until this one...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:14 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
679 Posts
It was WINDY yesterday (15+ with gusts to 25) but our club had a float fly at the local Veteran's Center and I was itching to maiden my Seawind. I picked it up a few weeks ago but haven't had a chance to fly it until now.

Flying the recommended Rimfire 28-30-950 motor with a CC Thunderbird 18 and ThunderPower 1320. Plopped it in the water, taxied around a little bit, let it weathervane into the wind and slowly accelerated... got up on step, hit the elevator, and it was airborne in no time, flew great!

The motor has tons of power for this plane. Didn't have any trouble taking off from the water, it kept pretty level on its own (I did take care to laterally balance it beforehand). Water rudder wasn't terribly effective but good enough... I found that the key was to get up enough speed and hold up elevator to keep the rudder in the water while taxiing. I didn't have dual rates set up, I was flying with the high settings, and it was a bit twitchy, so on the next flight I added a decent amount of expo, especially on the elevator, and the controls were much more comfortable. Inside of the plane stayed dry, no problems there either.

The wind and choppy water were absolute non-issues! It handled the wind with flying colors, I and everyone there was just amazed that it flew so well in such crummy conditions.

Loved it! Can't wait to get it on the water again! Can't say enough good things about it...
JustinG is offline Find More Posts by JustinG
Last edited by JustinG; Sep 17, 2007 at 06:20 PM.