HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:14 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,322 Posts
Thanks for the link to the big GP Seawind, Mike. Nice review. Now I know who to come to for information on this bird.
I recently made a whale of a trade with a buddy of mine that lives in a big travel trailer (by choice, btw). You met him at SEFF, Mike. His place was where Mr. RiteWing and I were living that weekend. Anyways, he came into a RTF 71" Seawind and decided it was too big for his domicile. We were flying my foamy Seawind at the Colorado River where he was staying for the summer last year and he had a ball with it. His solution? Straight trade...including a fully-charged 10s 5000 pack.

I love this hobby.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2009, 08:56 PM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,892 Posts
you made out like a bandit
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:02 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
MW,
Well you did make out like a bandit. Now maybe you better go to confession.

Does the big Seawind fly like the foam one?? Just wondered.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI>
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:20 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,322 Posts
What I've heard, it does. The transition from one to the other should be fairly easy.
I powered it up this evening with the old 10s pack at storage voltage...1100 watts at 30 amps. I also have a brand new 10s 5000 XPS pack to run in it. I'm going to the Colorado River to bug Tim next weekend and taking the Seawind along so I'll see if the thing really does fly!

mw
Old Jun 13, 2009, 02:19 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,057 Posts
Nice trade Mark. Sounds like you both did well. I'm not sure who ended up with my dining canopy lights, but I'm sure I'll see them again next SEFF.

Conehead - Both size Seawinds fly GREAT! The only problem was the takeoff on the big one. Now with the full up technique in place, the takeoff problems are minimized. There is just something about a Seawind in the air. The looks and the speed and maneuverability make it a show stopper every time it flies. At any float fly, the action pretty much stops so everybody can watch every time a Seawind flies.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jun 13, 2009, 02:13 PM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,892 Posts
just had a very nice dawn patrol with my .60 Seawind. Just need to adjust the left flap, its dragging a little and had to add half a trim line of right Aileron

Never get tired of flying this plane
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:26 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
I took my Seawind out on the boat again this AM. Putted out to the middle of our cove where there was a bit of wind and chop, but not too much. I powered up and checked that the motor spun up and dropped her in. I got out a ways from the boat, headed into the wind and powered up. The plane pulsed on the waves and would not un-stick. I brought it around again and had another go. It was up to speed, but just would not take off. I also caught a tip and spun a couple of times. I was scratching my head as I'd taken off in a bit of chop like this with no issue before. I pulled the plane up next to the boat and checked the throws and low and behold I had left the elevator reversed from one of my other planes. Doh! I reversed the switch and it took off with no issue. Even after all that yachting around with the nose plowing water the plane came back with almost no water under the canopy. I've now added a sticker next to the battery reading "check the throws!!". I do this religiously but at 6:00 AM I had a brain fade. I'm sure glad it wasn't the aelerons! Just a reminder to double check your throws!
LeftyF is offline Find More Posts by LeftyF
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:58 PM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,892 Posts
do you have the hatch panels siliconed around the ailerons and flaps? Along with the crush o rign around the gear where the control arm goes? I had an Ok landing this morning that caused alot of spray on the wings and I'm glad mine has all that.

Oh yah, does your left wing drag a bit on taxi?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 04:03 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Are we talking the EP or the .60? I'm flying the foam EP and I don't have any issues there. I get a little film of water on the wing step, but that I just dry with a towel when I pull the wing. Otherwise it's just stock with lots of Corrosion X.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 04:22 PM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,892 Posts
I was talking about the .60. However the EP flies like a bat out of hell with some hop-ups
Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:48 PM
New Fairfield, CT
Joined Mar 2006
488 Posts
Yea, I've been very happy with it
Old Jun 13, 2009, 09:37 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
867 Posts
EP Foam Seawind

Success! Thanks for the advice gents. Had 2 beautiful flights tonight. Held full up elevator, advanced throttle to full speed and she lifted right off the water, no problem. Flew for about 12 minutes both times. Will increase elevator throw to 5/8" and increase ailerons as well. The plane has such a presence in the air. And, popping canopies are definitely a thing of the past with hatch locks I constructed.

CANOPY HATCH LOCKS: SEE P. 72, POST 1069
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Last edited by Fast Freddy; Jun 20, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:01 PM
Capitalist
Joined Sep 2008
1,892 Posts
I had to increase the elevator throws on my DX7 as well. Kinda nice to have max elevator. My dad has both the GP and EF Seawind and I can't tell you how many times his canopy has blown off.....I'm so tired of swimming

mine is the white on and my dads is Gray
Last edited by fnlrun; Jun 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:01 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,322 Posts
What's the wattage on the .60 birds?

mw
Old Jun 14, 2009, 02:08 AM
Pyrmont, Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2000
260 Posts
Generic motor mount for EP Seawind

Attached: pic of a generic motor mount for the seawind, getting around the problem of the unusual hole pattern for the rimfire motors.

Motor is a Hyperion Z2213-16, which is pulling well on the stock 8x6 prop and still able to use the lightweight 1300 packs.

T
Tooly is offline Find More Posts by Tooly