SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2009, 08:45 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Don't feel bad, I haven't done anything to my electronics either. I have never used corrosion X. The trick is, if you wind up crashing in water, make sure you cut throttle as soon as you realize what is or has happened. Set the TX down and begin the retrieval process. The theory is if you are not applying power to the components then there is not enough power to short them out. I flipped my PBY on landing about a month ago. Everything got wet and I mean everything. It was in the water for 30 min before it made it close enough for me to get a fishing line over it. I pulled it out and drained the water. Once it was empty I then dried off the battery connection and then unplugged the battery. Took it home and let it dry for a couple of days. All the electronics survived and are thriving in other planes. You don't have to go to this extent if you don't want to you just have to be smart about how you react to the situation once your in.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:19 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Ive soaked all my electrics in Corrosion X and put the receiver in a plastic bag as well. For several flights I thought it was a little overkill since I wasn't getting a single drop of water inside. Then I had a mishap the other day where the canopy came off. I was able to drive it back to the boat, and in one single pour of a bunch of water out of the fuse, I was very glad I had done all that to protect my stuff. Of course I still had to pull up anchor and go drive after the canopy!

Eric
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:02 AM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,904 Posts
Orion---So your saying the PBY gave it's life for other planes to fly??

I'm not going to bother with the corrision x. Cause if I wreck, the servos will be the least of my problems
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:04 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Not intentionally but there is a silver lining to every cloud.

Plus if you have a boat to go and get the plane why risk it by trying to taxi it back to you, Just go get the plane, you fill it with water it may just sink on you. Chances are you'll have some parts to retrieve anyway. Ask Eric, he knows.

Oh and I flew the Seawind with the 8x6 today.
Last edited by Orion Pax; May 01, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old May 01, 2009, 06:27 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,157 Posts
Orion, you may want to check some of those untreated components after a few weeks. I've found that untreated components tend to start corroding within a few weeks of having been dunked. Most PC boards will begin to show white corrosion around the edges of the solder even though they have been dried out. Servo lead connections may also start to degrade. If you treat these already corroded components with CorrosionX, they will be fine and the corrosion will not progress.
My 2 cents.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old May 01, 2009, 12:16 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Thanks McD. I had seen that elsewhere too and double checked everything before I installed them. There was nothing there so in they went. I hope nothing shows up as I run electricity through them but they were out of the plane a good 4 weeks before they went into another.
Old May 01, 2009, 08:01 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
what's the best way to fix a dent in the foam? One of the wing tips has a dent and the bit of foam looks like it might fall out. Should I just stabilize it?
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old May 01, 2009, 09:17 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
I would stabalize any foam that is going to fall out with foam safe CA. Then, if you want, you can fill it with light spakle from any home improvement store. After you have it filled, sand it down to the shape you want. The only problem with doing that on a water plane is the spakle will likely break down once gotten wet. You will need to seal it with, at the very least, a clear coat, and possibly paint if you want to make it look better. I'm sure there are other options, but that is something I've done on another foam plane to fill in holes from the injection mold.

Eric
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old May 01, 2009, 11:33 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
I might just stabilize it. not too noticeable, unless this piece falls out..lol

Oh whatever happened with the seawind that was gonna get the flapperons? Did it help at all??
Old May 02, 2009, 01:59 PM
Winnipeg (ESP) Manitoba
Joined Feb 2008
363 Posts
Hello, I have about 15 Hrs, on the EasyStar and have just started using the MiniMag (Full House) I thought the MM was gong to be my water plane but the floats have been on back order since Jan. and the latest expected date is end of June. I have tried the SW on the G 4 and it seems very nice. Would any of you suggest the comparison of the MM Vs. the SW, for a first water plane, for a relatively inexperienced person? The LHS has the RR version available and I thought it could be a quick fix! (About $245.00 Cdn.) My son, who is my trainer is moving 2000 Miles away in just over a week, therefore my sudden urge to get wet!
kaptainkrunch is offline Find More Posts by kaptainkrunch
Old May 02, 2009, 02:28 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
The Seawind was my first water plane. It is wonderful. My only suggestion is get used to it flying off grass and the transition to water will be no problem at all.
Old May 02, 2009, 03:08 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Seawind with Flaperons

Guys, waiting for my ESC to arrive and install.
The Flaperons are working but haven't had a maiden flght yet.
I expect to get the trial flight at the May 15th Float Fly.
Will shoot videos with and without them working, for a comparison.
BTW:Installing the second servo was simple to do.
Stay tuned,
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old May 02, 2009, 07:06 PM
Winnipeg (ESP) Manitoba
Joined Feb 2008
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax
The Seawind was my first water plane. It is wonderful. My only suggestion is get used to it flying off grass and the transition to water will be no problem at all.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Terry
Old May 02, 2009, 08:53 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
Don, looks good. I did figure out that having the prop windmilling and making a sharp turn when landing really bleeds off speed and altitude for landing. But I look forward to seeing how those work.

ash
Old May 03, 2009, 12:35 AM
Winnipeg (ESP) Manitoba
Joined Feb 2008
363 Posts
Hello again, another quick question. Would my 3s 2200Ma Xcite be too big for the Seawind RxR?
Thanks for your thoughts and time!
Terry