SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2009, 11:38 PM
New Jersey
Joined Aug 2005
265 Posts
Hey guys,

I've been reading the posts, watching the videos, and looking for lakes.... and now its time to get one of these things. I just have a few questions. It doesn't seem like to many people are going for the "receiver ready" version? It seems that by the time you add up the cost of the motor and speed control that the RX-R version is a pretty good deal. Is there a reason why many of you opted for the ARF, is the stock motor/gear not up to par? Also, I see read that waterproofing should be done, is corrosionX the best for this, where is the best place to get it, and how do I apply it?

I tried to read all 61 pages, but it was too much, so If i'm missing anything else important, please let me know.

thanks guys!
SpyHawkFPV is offline Find More Posts by SpyHawkFPV
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2009, 02:21 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
I think most of the folks got their Seawinds before the RXR version was available. Mine is exactly the same as the RXR and it flies great.

CorrosionX is necessary. It is available at aviation maintenance shops, some Tru-Value stores, or online. Start with this link and look for something near you. Use the red can.
http://www.corrosionx.com/distmarine.htm
Or here http://www.corrosionx.com/marine.html
Spray a generous amount (soak) into the receiver and ESC and then let them drain on a paper towel for a while. Spray some in the servo plugs and ESC and motor plugs. Remove the pushrods from the fuselage and wipe them down with a cloth that has been soaked with CorrosionX.

Check the glue joints and add glue and pin the plywood to the foam at the motor mount on the pylon, the wing plate in the front of the fuselage and the wing screw plate in the bottom of the fuselage.

That's the high points from lots of posts.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:40 AM
New Jersey
Joined Aug 2005
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
I think most of the folks got their Seawinds before the RXR version was available. Mine is exactly the same as the RXR and it flies great.

CorrosionX is necessary. It is available at aviation maintenance shops, some Tru-Value stores, or online. Start with this link and look for something near you. Use the red can.
http://www.corrosionx.com/distmarine.htm
Or here http://www.corrosionx.com/marine.html
Spray a generous amount (soak) into the receiver and ESC and then let them drain on a paper towel for a while. Spray some in the servo plugs and ESC and motor plugs. Remove the pushrods from the fuselage and wipe them down with a cloth that has been soaked with CorrosionX.

Check the glue joints and add glue and pin the plywood to the foam at the motor mount on the pylon, the wing plate in the front of the fuselage and the wing screw plate in the bottom of the fuselage.

That's the high points from lots of posts.

McD

thanks, ordered the RX-R and the CorrosionX.... It must be a weird feeling filling up the receiver and ESC with a liquid!
SpyHawkFPV is offline Find More Posts by SpyHawkFPV
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 09, 2009, 05:49 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
Yes it is, until you have to taxi back to the pits inverted with the canopy missing. Then it feels wonderful when you can empty out the water and go fly again.
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2009, 08:21 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Yes it is, until you have to taxi back to the pits inverted with the canopy missing. Then it feels wonderful when you can empty out the water and go fly again.
McD
At least everything would be WATER COOLED
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Apr 10, 2009, 04:45 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
Or if you were "Down Under", then the plane would still be right side up. Right?
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2009, 04:48 AM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
That ones so old , its got barnacles on it........
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:26 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
have you guys used anything else to waterproof your electronics?? I cant find corrosion x around here. I did pick up some liquid electrical tape...i dont wanna use it on the esc cuz of heat trapping. Anyone try it on the rx? Someone at the LHS said to try a light lithium grease.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Apr 11, 2009, 06:45 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
I'm not sure of the long term effect of those products on the materials of the printed circuit boards or the plastics of the integrated chips. I'm also not sure about the insulating properties of the grease. The CorrosionX is good for 30,000 volts. You can order CorrosionX online here. The 6 oz. size will last a long time.

http://www.greatlakescorrosion.com/index.php?cPath=21

Hope this helps.
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2009, 07:46 AM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
oh ok thanks. I have my seawind all ready to go. Just need to charge the battery hope the wind stays calm.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Oh man, I maidened the plane today. Awesome flyer, there's a fairly stiff breeze, but it handles it great. Trying to get used to its handling in the water, sometimes I forget to hold up elevator and it skips on takeoff. Its really forgiving on landing, its kinda gusty out so its landed on the tip float more than once without any issues. I really like this flying off water thing (this is my first real waterplane). waiting for this battery to charge so I can take it up again
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:31 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
heres a couple of pictures from the pond. sun made the camera do funny things, seems like it focused under water rather than on the plane..lol
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:10 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure of the long term effect of those products on the materials of the printed circuit boards or the plastics of the integrated chips. I'm also not sure about the insulating properties of the grease. The CorrosionX is good for 30,000 volts. You can order CorrosionX online here. The 6 oz. size will last a long time.

http://www.greatlakescorrosion.com/index.php?cPath=21

Hope this helps.
McD

DONT FORGET ...ITS THE "RED" ONE
Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:25 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
oh ya, I got the red one..lol thanks
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:14 PM
Amherst, NH
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
Clearview Simulator

Has anyone who has a Seawind EP tried the simulator version in Clearview? If so, how accurate to the real thing is Clearview's emulation?
Spackle is offline Find More Posts by Spackle