HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:22 PM
Registered abuser
USA, IL, Deerfield
Joined Jan 2004
266 Posts
Motor connectors don't match wires on Seawind

I purchased the recommended Electrify Rimfire 28 30 950 brushless motor, but its connectors do not mate with those installed on the motor-to-ESC wires that came with the plane.

I'm bummed that I'll have to go buy & change connectors or solder.

Anyone else have this experience?

Norb
Norb is offline Find More Posts by Norb
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:38 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
679 Posts
Not on mine... on the ESC side, the wires have 3.5mm bullet connectors and on the motor end of the wires are 2mm bullet connectors, which is what came on the 28-30-950... maybe your wires got installed backwards? Might check and see what size bullets are on the other end.
JustinG is offline Find More Posts by JustinG
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:57 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Hey Norb, just a thought but did you pull the little brass tube connector protectors off?... At first I thought mine didn't mate either and then I pulled off the brass covers and considered myself a complete idiot..
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:01 PM
Registered abuser
USA, IL, Deerfield
Joined Jan 2004
266 Posts
JustinG

My wiring in the plane is the same as yours. Are the 2mm connectors on the motor end female? Mine are. But so are the connectors on the Rimfire. I went to the Eletrifly site to see if they screwed up the connectors, but they are not pictrued there.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:05 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
679 Posts
Norb - sounds like tic is right, the motor comes with the mating female 2mm connectors on the wire, so you'll need to pull those off before you can connect the motor to the pre-installed wires. You will have an extra set of female connectors.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:13 PM
Registered abuser
USA, IL, Deerfield
Joined Jan 2004
266 Posts
Justin G

Man I feel stupid. Thanks. When tic said take the protectors off, I thought he meant the rubber ones on the motor mount connectors.

Thanks a bunch!!!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:24 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
679 Posts
No worries, it wasn't even a second thought for me but I can see how you might get confused given that the manual details everything else you're supposed to take off the motor (back mount, screws, etc).

If tic hadn't mentioned the female connectors on the motor wires I'd still be trying to figure out what your problem was! Glad to be of some help...
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:33 PM
Registered abuser
USA, IL, Deerfield
Joined Jan 2004
266 Posts
Of course, now I don't have the requisite 1.5 mm allen wrench to loosen the set screw on the motor collar. Only have English. I'll check at work tomorrow if they have metric. Thanks again.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:51 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Since you won't be using that collar once you remove it you can prolly force an american allen wrench in there to get it out. It's not in there very tight.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 09:02 PM
Registered abuser
USA, IL, Deerfield
Joined Jan 2004
266 Posts
Thanks tic. I tried 2 wrenches to no avail.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 09:56 AM
frisco,tx
Joined Oct 2003
1,911 Posts
im taking mine to the lake this weekend. i maidened it off grass and she flew right off. i think you need an aft cg and lots of elevator throw to ROGrass. my cg is probably 1 1/2" back. like others, my wing bolt didnt align. i had to use a wire to pull the screw forward as a tried to tap the fuse. needless to say , ill keep the wing on.
txfly is offline Find More Posts by txfly
Old Aug 31, 2007, 02:34 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Just back from another flight off water. I tried the technique described here (full up, throttle on, rudder centered, use the ailerons to level, on step, elevator to neutral, and then fly up) and it was a beauty to behold! However, I need to work on water landings. My first two the other day was 1) a stall splat and 2) a skip-skip-skip into the bank. This time I throttled back and she just glided forever. I pull back on the elevator to do a high angle of attack landing with the rudder hitting the water first. That almost worked but the touchdown tried to somersault the Seawind and the nose submarined and knocked off the canopy. The ensuing flooding knocked out everything but after an impromptu wade, I recovered the Seawind. The Rx and servos recovered fine after a blast of WD-40 and drying. Waiting the the ESC now - it may be toast. Lessons learned: 1) seal the canopy (I did the wings at the root), 2) not so much alfa on landing.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Aug 31, 2007, 08:43 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,463 Posts
It needs to land with the perfect blend of minimum speed just above the stall and at a minimal sink rate...that gives the best non skipping results.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 31, 2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 08:59 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I just completed my seawind #2 last night at 2 am...... maidnened it this morning and it flies GREAT.. ROG no problem... I didn't do any outside loops YET..... You guys that say you can build one in an hour?... well, I want to SEE it! Sure, it's an easy ARF and all but I'm sorry, one hour even with everything laid out is a gross exaggeration of the time needed to do a proper assembly
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:13 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
I just completed my seawind #2 last night at 2 am...... maidnened it this morning and it flies GREAT.. ROG no problem... I didn't do any outside loops YET..... You guys that say you can build one in an hour?... well, I want to SEE it! Sure, it's an easy ARF and all but I'm sorry, one hour even with everything laid out is a gross exaggeration of the time needed to do a proper assembly
Tic, you are dead wrong on that subject...I could do it any time and it will be straight and proper...... I am faster than lots of folks, though.

Others could too, even those that do not build models for a living.
One secret is to not go through the construction manual sequientually. Rearrange steps for a more effiecient work flow....groups like steps together.

Do all the 5 min epoxy joints in two sets with the first one being the wingtips and the servo tray and the second later one being the horizontal tail and fin tip. Do the second epoxy work group near the very last, after the motor, ESC and all radio is in place.

Have your 1/16 drill ready to go and gang drill all servo screw holes at once.
The only thing that needs much checking is the horizontal tail install, for proper alignment Heck, the pusrods are already in the fuse. The EZ connectors make the pushrod adjustments a matter of seconds.

Mount the motor and ESC and cowl, prop and spinner while the first wingtip and servo tray epoxy is kicking. As soon as the 5 min is firm, do all servo and radio install.

Do all your pushrod adjustments except for the final elevator one in a batch instead of messing with each one as you install it.....think mass production.

If Great Planes will send me one with the stock motor and ESC, I will do it on a time marked video and send it to you..

In fact, if a local DFW flyer will bring me his outfit, I would be glad to do the one hour trick for him, under the stopwatch... Consider it a standing invitation....

Think Indy pit stop type organization and speed and preparation vs. changing a tire manually in your own driveway, with no tool prep.

Yes. yes, I know, I know....it can be more fun to take your time, but sometimes can be fun to put on a turn of speed...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel