HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:42 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Definitly no problem using larger batteries. I only have Hyperion 2100 3S that I use in my seawind. Probably actually makes for better performance & control when flying in windy conditions especially.

Unfortunatly, they aren't holding their charge as well now (I've had them for about 2 years) and my flight time has to be limited to about 6 mins (used to be almost 10min) otherwise low voltage cutoff leaves me drifting off down the lake. No problem with balancing the plane though - though my motor is about 15grams heavier than the stock one too that helps balance weight.
Johnnz is offline Find More Posts by Johnnz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2009, 05:13 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Well I maidened my Seawind today. The temps are supposed to drop to sub zero tonight and - 30 wind chill is not what I want to be flying in. Right now it is about 27 degrees and there is about 4 inches of nice snow on the lake and we are supposed to get 4-7 inches more in the next day or two. So I will have lots of nice snow to fly off of in a few days.

I walked about 75 feet out onto our lake, all snow covered and thought I would taxi it around some and see how it did. Well I hit the throttle and in about a wink of an eye, I was in the air. So I better fly it, right!! I made a few laps trying to see how it handled, tried to trim it some, didn't need any as far as I was able to think about. I was way too busy flying it. Right now, relaxing it is not. I did get it down witihout any trouble. I checked the throws after I landed to make sure everything was right the second time. I checked the first time out, I always recheck.

It seems like the recomeneded battery is a bit small. I had a 1700 mah and I think a 2200 or there about would be great. It is quick, it flies ok and I will fly again after it warms up next week. I taped out the blind nut to a 6-32 since i couldn't find a 4-40 that was long enough.

So thanks to everyone for your comments and those of you who did the initial work to make it easier for the rest of us who came along later.
I appreciate all the hints and suggestions and help.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:51 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Congratulations! Once you get the hang of how it flies the more relaxing it is to fly. I go to this plane when I just want to soar. 2200 mAh is the battery I have right now too. Seems to balance just right or a touch nose heavy which is a good thing I think. I will say that I had to do some programing in my elevator to give it good authority in the air. the hull of the boat is a lot to throw around with the high elevator and it seemed to make a real difference once I programed in more travel.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jan 13, 2009, 04:27 AM
Joined Jul 2006
16 Posts
Hello to all,

I have just received for Xmas my new Seawind.
I was a little disappointed by the foam quality : the model has a lot of defect on his surface. It's very strange because the model was very well maintained on its box. There are a lot of claw on the surface. The below of the hull has a strange aspect. How was the quality of your seawind at the receipt ?

In spite of that, I have assembled it.
My motor is a A22-10 with a kv of 1200 rpm/v so i'm planning to put a 7x4 prop with a 3s2200 lipo pack, i've tested it and I get :
7x4 at 11800 rpm - 11.5 A
The weight of my Seawind is 725 g.

What do you think about that ?
Is it too much weight ?

Thanks.
coconut76 is offline Find More Posts by coconut76
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:58 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Coconut, I think you will find that the weight vs. thrust from the setup you are using is going to make your Seawind somewhat underpowered. A rough estimate of the prop and rpm you listed will net you somewhere between 580 and 600 grams of thrust. If you could step up to an 8x4E your thrust would jump up to over 800 grams. It all depends if your motor can take the increased amps, but using an E prop instead of a slow fly prop should help.

You could use a smaller battery, but even that isn't going to cut enough weight to get you where you want to be with that setup.

Of course, this is all subject to your preference. If you want power, I don't think this will do it. But if you like true scale flying, than this setup might be exactly what you are looking for, but don't expect too much aerobatics from it. It's up to you! Keep in mind all those numbers I gave you were estimates, only actual flight testing would give you an accurate indication of that setup's capability.

Good luck,
Eric
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Jan 13, 2009, 07:31 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
I posted some pictures on the other thread about the seawind. Scale Electric planes.
Here are the ones I posted.
I got the flight in yesterday because the wind came up last night, 14-18 mph with gusts to 24 mph. Temps went from 27 degrees yesterday to 12 or so today and minus temps for the next two days at night with highs about 5 to 7. Wind chill are supposed to be -30 or there about.
I had a few anxious moments when I lost orentation of it twice, but I hope as has been posted, flying it more will become more relaxing.

Sure is quick. I used the Rimfire 28-30-1250 kv motor with a 2dogrc speed control 40 amp. I put the Futaba servos in it with a Spectrum 6200 end pin rec. I got lots of power. Hardly even went beyond 1/3 throtle, except for take off, wow it jumped off the snow really quick at about 3/4 throttle. I have to balance the prop and install the cowling. I wanted to make sure it flew fine before I put the cowling on it.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Big Platte Lake for anyone who wants to look on a map of Michigan. Just west and a bit south of Traverse City. Right on the edge of Sleeping ear Sand Dunes National Park.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2009, 08:36 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Congratulations on the successful maiden flight! Nice pictures too
Johnnz is offline Find More Posts by Johnnz
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:11 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
841 Posts
Conehead..

Nice. That must be quick. You may want to try dropping some pitch in the prop for more consistency throughout the throttle range, like an apc 9/4.5- 5.5 sf

"The pucker factor is now zero."

You may get some back after your first potential submarine dive in the water

cool
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:06 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
I forgot to say that my wife/ bride took the pictures from land. She doesn't go out on the ice much. She has gotten pretty good at taking pictures with her camera. If she had a really good one, she could do a lot better, but I am happy with them. She takes pictures of her quilts and this last weekend we went to a sled race, the fellow I work for part time in the spring and fall, built a race track on his property. These are old sled, one cylinder ones that a bunch of guys love to race. She got some great pictures during the race.

Each year she makes us calenders and last year I had one of models that she show while in the air. Some of those planes are no longer with us.

We always talk about "the pucker factor" many times. It comes and goes depending on the cost of the model. One fellow flew a sailplane for a fellow who has a big hanger at the full scale airport. The owner started to fly the sailplane, lost orentation and handed the transmitter off to my buddy. Fred flew it for a while, landed it and we when and checked how much it cost. The plane came from Northeast Sailplane and the cost was $2000 before the rec was installed. Had Fred known that, he would have never flown it.

I can't go bigger with a prop. Maybe less pitch, but we are limited to size and I am sure that once I get comfortable with it, it will be much easier to fly.
Corrosion X and some film for the bottom will be installed before the lake thaws.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Nice to bring it back in one piece. I have had a few that didn't go well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2009, 05:22 AM
Joined Jul 2006
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ320
Coconut, I think you will find that the weight vs. thrust from the setup you are using is going to make your Seawind somewhat underpowered. A rough estimate of the prop and rpm you listed will net you somewhere between 580 and 600 grams of thrust. If you could step up to an 8x4E your thrust would jump up to over 800 grams. It all depends if your motor can take the increased amps, but using an E prop instead of a slow fly prop should help.

You could use a smaller battery, but even that isn't going to cut enough weight to get you where you want to be with that setup.

Of course, this is all subject to your preference. If you want power, I don't think this will do it. But if you like true scale flying, than this setup might be exactly what you are looking for, but don't expect too much aerobatics from it. It's up to you! Keep in mind all those numbers I gave you were estimates, only actual flight testing would give you an accurate indication of that setup's capability.

Good luck,
Eric
No I couldn't put a 8x4 prop because the amps increase too much for my little motor.
Maybe I could try a 7x5 prop not more.
I will put some pictures of the defect of my new seawind, the foam is bad on this plane.
coconut76 is offline Find More Posts by coconut76
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:58 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
I told you I would post some numbers from my test stand for the motor I am using in my Seawind, the Heads Up RC 2830-10. I finally did that, with 5 different props. Again, this motor is supposed to be a direct replacement for the Rimfire 28-30-950, so while it won't be exact, it should be close to the numbers for that motor as well.

I will make a few notes, each prop was tested with a fully charged Fusion-Pack 3S 1800 25C battery with a starting voltage of 12.5V, a Castle Creations Phx 25 ESC, and considering an average AUW of 22 oz. for the Seawind I tested the props at wide open throttle (WOT) and at 22 oz. of thrust to see what it produced at a thrust to weight ratio of near 1:1.

Based on the numbers I am trying to decide between the APC 9x6E and the Master Airscrew 9x5. They both give great thrust with very acceptable amps. I guess flight testing is the only thing that will make the final decision based on airspeed.

I hope this info helps anyone looking to setup their Seawind.
Eric
Last edited by EricJ320; Jan 14, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:21 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
coconut 76,
My Seawind is similar to yours in areas. The wing part is similar. Most of the rest of it is ok and for a foam plane, while not great, as someone said earlier in the thread and in the other thread on the Seawind, it looks ok from afar.

I guess quality is not always 110%, but mine flew fine.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:58 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
My Seawind is for flying, not for static display. A well loved Seawind has "scars". When my Seawind is flying by at full bore inverted 5' off the water, nobody notices the scrapes in the foam bottom.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:41 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
My Seawind looks pretty good I would say. It's not perfect, but no foam model is. I am also working on an Ultrafly P-51D foam model that I used light filler to fix any blemishes and injection spots. I then covered it with silkspan and poly C. Now that finish is going to look good. Would have been nice to have the option to do on this model as well, but with all the work it takes I can't say I would have done it on this model. Like Mike McD said, this one is to fly, not win any beauty contests. Out of curiosity, has anyone airbrushed on a layer of Future Shine? It's supposed to give it a nice finished look to the foam, add a near negligible weight, and a somewhat hard acrylic coating to protect it. Just wondering, I am seriously considering doing it.

On another topic, has anyone tried CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor? I have looked all over to find CorrosionX with no luck. In some other threads I have read some people using this as a direct replacement to CorrosionX, but they were kind of old threads. I can get this at the local marine store, but didn't know if CorrosionX was the only way to go, or if I would be safe waterproofing my ESC and receiver with this.

Thanks,
Eric
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:48 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
kingsflyer,
Well you are a lot more accomplished flier than I. I may fly my Bug that high inverted, but my Seawind, not for a long time. I have to get really good to fly inverted at 5 feet above the water. When I am 5 feet high, I am doing one of two things, taking off, or landing and usually it is landing. Takeoff are up and away.

I did like the pictures of you inverted at your float fly. It will be months before that happens here. We were -12 or below last night with windchill. This morning it was -8 wind chill and there is about 12 inches of snow on the lake. Now if the wind would go down, I would go fly again.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member