SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2008, 10:59 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
I will assemble my Seawind when I return from Denver. I leave on Tuesday next week, then return on the following Monday. When I return I will put the servos in, do all the work on the kitchen table. I have to work some and then put it away, since I have a feline that loves model airplanes.

I had to get things buttoned up here at the house on the lake. The old log cabin is in dire need of being replaced and I still have a few things to do when I return. I got leaves mowed up, dock, hoists, boats all ready for winter and today I got the snowblowers all ready to go and now all I have to do is get the sled/snowmachine/snowmobile ready to ride. Looks like the flying off the lake will have to wait until next year, but I will be able to fly off the snow on the lake when it freezes.
I also ahve to order a different speed control From what all of you have said, the electrifly stuff is not as good as manyh others and so no need to mess this plane up with it. I have a different plane I may try the speed control in since I think cooked one in my predator. No beeps and no motor running, so something is amiss. That too will be another project after the Seawind.

Will let you all know how it flies. I just don't want to dork it the first time out. I am getting a lot better now, but always a tinge of apprehension on the first take off.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor. MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2008, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2005
15 Posts
I noticed hand launching goes a lot better with 1/2 throttle, rather than full. Full throttle tends to push the nose over and if the plane isn't hand launched with sufficient air speed elevator authority suffers the the plane can bounce off the ground (I did it). At 1/2 throttle things work much better.

Also I've been able to take off the grass (short grass). Just hold 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, and up elevator. It'll skoot along the grass and eventually take off. Not so great for the bottom though.

SR-71
SR-71 is offline Find More Posts by SR-71
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:23 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Put some packing tape on the bottom. It will save the bottom from damage, allow you to break away from water surface faster and allow you to take off from snow and ice without damage.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Nov 17, 2008, 05:39 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
840 Posts
its that crusty refrozen top layer that will trash the bottom of the Seawind. Speaking of snow there's an inch out here already. I may have to fireup some poorly planned video's
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:58 PM
Uh Oh......
United Kingdom, Peterborough
Joined Sep 2008
50 Posts
I think the seawind is 1 of the best looking plaes around i love it
Moleman rc is offline Find More Posts by Moleman rc
Old Nov 24, 2008, 02:59 PM
Uh Oh......
United Kingdom, Peterborough
Joined Sep 2008
50 Posts
I think the seawind is 1 of the best looking planes around i love it
Moleman rc is offline Find More Posts by Moleman rc
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:05 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
So .....you like it twice as much........

Looks aint everything................
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:40 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moleman rc
I think the seawind is 1 of the best looking planes around i love it
I'll second that. And as Son of Paleface appears to have started off saying, it also flies really well and with a few strengthening modifications, is a pretty good overall design . I am quite impressed with how stable it is in slow flight when coming in to land and at stall speeds doesnt have any really nasty characteristics when well balanced. Just remember to seal up your ESC with acid free silicon and you'll be right. I bodged a landing a week ago, filling the fuselage with water (battery connection submerged even) and could still bring it in to shore without incident!
Johnnz is offline Find More Posts by Johnnz
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:43 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Do NOT FLY WITHOUT CORROSION X in everything....thats RED Corrosion X
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:44 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
LOL! Don't you mean Don't crash without Corrosion X.

Wish they had the stuff around here.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:26 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
Here's some interesting film material.

http://www.shop3m.com/70071373891.html

The EDF guys are using it to protect the belly on their foam jets. They claim to be able to land them on asphalt with this stuff. I've ordered some for my Seawind.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Dec 03, 2008, 03:15 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Somewhere in this thread there was a post about the wing screw and the blind nut. Did or was there any mention of what the thread was in the blind nut?

I am in the process of putting my Seawind together and I have noticed that the paint on the plane is very fragile and marks quite easy. Any suggestions about how to protect it.

I know stupid questions, probably been answered before.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2008, 03:32 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead
Somewhere in this thread there was a post about the wing screw and the blind nut. Did or was there any mention of what the thread was in the blind nut?

I am in the process of putting my Seawind together and I have noticed that the paint on the plane is very fragile and marks quite easy. Any suggestions about how to protect it.

I know stupid questions, probably been answered before.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.

Dont be lazy...read the threads
Old Dec 03, 2008, 04:03 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,058 Posts
You're really testing my memory. I think the complaint was that the blind nut was a machine screw thread and the wing bolt is a wood screw type thread.

Don't know if anyone has found a way to protect the paint. It's a foamy and from 10 feet it looks just fine.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Dec 03, 2008, 05:46 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
I knew about the difference between the wing bolt and blind nut from reading all the posts from #1 to the lastest one #794. No where did I ever read that anyone said what the threads were in the blind nut. I have to agree that it seems rather stupid to use a machine screw thread and wood screw thread on the wing bolt.

I know it is foam and from 10 feet away it looks ok, I was just thinking that there might be a way to protect the paint some either using some type of spray lacquer or something like that.

I got taps in the shed, I will go get them and see what happens, I just thought someone would know off the top of their head. I keep useless info like that a lot, so that is why I asked.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI>
RCG Plus Member