HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2008, 06:57 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Hey Al,
Thank you for the kind words. You just made my Moms day. Yes there are water fowl out there. Mallard ducks and Cranes were the dominant 2. As for down wind landings, yeah they are tricky. I have since practiced landing away from me which makes me more comfortable with head wind landings being that the wind is always blowing in from the water. Just makes for a far out landing from the camera. Will try for another video later today.

Thank you again for the kind words Al.

Orion
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2008, 05:00 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Today's Video. Mom shooting vid again. She is a natural I think.

Seawind Off Placid Water (4 min 2 sec)
Old Nov 02, 2008, 11:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi Guys,

What a beautiful morning and a terrific place to fly from Orion, Fabulous video O's M, getting better with a little practise I think. Lovely to see and hear where other folks do their flying boating, or seaplaning in your case. very nice landing of the Seawind , if only mine were that smooth, looked like a bird shadow overflew your landing area, keeping tabs on your aeroplane I guess, keep up the good work team. Must dash off and get my Spitfire finished for the weekend. Cheers mates.

regds Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Nov 03, 2008, 01:44 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Nice video Orion. Amazing how calm that lake was. I'm still having a blast with my Seawind, I love how well it flys and am surprised how slow it can be brought in on final approach without stalling the wingtips. Was flying Sunday morning while the weather was calm and warm, but lately has been really windy spring weather here, and still getting wintery blasts too.

Should put another video up myself soon. Have quite a lot of footage now. Just a mater of doing some editing.

Did some checks the other day too. My 6 x 4 prop is doing 17k RPM, battery temp is 40c and ESC is 60c. For some reason, I'm still getting a intermitant momentary cutout especially on takeoff/full throttle.

Cheers
Johnnz is offline Find More Posts by Johnnz
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:09 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Thanks guys for the kind words!

I was so happy that the water was calm like that. You know the plop I had before landing only let in 2 drops of water. I still haven't water proofed anything yet. I really don't think it is necessary even with rough landings.

I will say I have added the weight to the rear of the plane to move the CG back where it was suggested by others here. I am not liking it. I have lost my confident glide path and it feels way too twitchy. I have flown it 4 times with the new CG and results are less than acceptable. I have to stay on the sticks and makes throttle ups more pitchy. Might be OK if you like 3D aircraft but I like it relaxing and I have lost all of that. Thanks for the suggestion guys but I am going back to the original CG.

Orion
Old Nov 03, 2008, 10:47 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,072 Posts
I have read all 52 pages of this thread. I think I started to do that one day, then I think it was just 25 or 30 pages long. I have ordered the Seawind since I want a float plane that I can take to the lake and fly my from my front yard. My lake is just 35 to 40 feet from where I am typing this post.

So the wing mount is not great, looks like some easy fixes already posted. The motor mount is suspect at best. Oh well, I guess that is the way it is. I bought one other GP foamie. It was the XP-8 which I think was just a poor design and I tried to fly mine. I still have it in my storage trailer, airplane hanger, whatever you want to call it. I think it was the worst plane I ever bought. I saw them fly at E-Fest, but I couldn't ever get mine to fly.

Back to the Seawind. I ordered the 28-30-1250 Rimfire, the 25A brushless speed control, and the 1500mhA battery. Now have I made a big mistake going with the larger than stock motor???

Do you go back and add CA to the motor mount system so that it doesn't come off when you get the plane. Same for the wing post? Also should you swap out the bolt that holds the wing on with the correct one instead of the wood screw, ( if I understood all the posts correct,) why would they use a wood screw type bold with a machine screw blind nut??

I hope my Seawind comes before snow, but if it doesn't, oh well. I also have some Futaba servos, 3114's that I plan to use. will they be ok??

I know too many questions.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:27 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Conehead,
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Seawind. I can not attest to the Motor mount fix as I have not needed it and it looks just fine the last time I was in there. I will say that on Thursday the wood mount in the fuselage just let go. It was the whole thing. I have had many flights before this happened but I have taken my wing off and back on several times. I just Gorilla glued it and taped it down for pressure so the GG can set up and I left it as is and have flown all weekend like that with no troubles.

I do not think you are hurting anything with the larger motor but I will say it does not need it. You weakest spot in your setup so far is the esc. First of all it can't even handle the factory suggested motor and will be a waste of aircraft on the larger one. The GP esc's have giving me nothing but trouble from day one and I would recommend investing in a Castle Creation Phoenix 25 or if you don't wish to go that spendy you can use a BP Hobbies 30 amp esc. I know people that swear by them and the price is just right.

Here is the link for the BP esc.
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=B1818516

The Futaba servos are about as good as it gets for this plane. They are small in size and have excellent torque. I will be outfitting my PBY with them. My Seawind has Eflights s75 servos which are a little larger and weaker but they work just fine so you look to be in good shape as long as you get rid of that ESC.

Hope I have helped.

Orion
Old Nov 03, 2008, 12:15 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,072 Posts
The Futaba servos were going to go into a Predator, but I got one already to go.

Ok, I had a lot of trouble with the brushed esc from GP. it works fine, I just have to read the directions everytime I use it. I hate that. I want to plug in the battery and fly. I don't want to read how to, count beeps, etc, you know.

Thanks Orion, I will check on the esc. I may have one, I bought stuff now and then and haven't used some. I may have an E-Flite one that I haven't used also. Better take inventory and see what I got.

Thanks a bunch. I am sure someone else will also have some helpful ideas.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor. MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2008, 12:46 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
removed duplicate post
Johnnz is offline Find More Posts by Johnnz
Last edited by Johnnz; Nov 03, 2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old Nov 04, 2008, 02:39 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,072 Posts
I got an email from Tower, my Seawind is on the way. So it looks like they are in stock now, so if any of you on this thread want another one or know someone who may want one, I suggest that they place an order.

Now I have to choose a speed control. I have been told what I chose is not as good as others that are cheaper and work as well or better.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI>
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2008, 07:29 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,072 Posts
Had a knock on the door today and low and behold there was this great big box.

It was my Seawind.

Ok, now, I am not a fast builder, or parts installer, so about how long will it take for me to assemble this plane. I have read all kinds of posts about how long it will take.
4 hours or more or will I be pressed to do it all in a total of 8 hours.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2008, 08:02 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
I did my gluing at around this time of night and let it dry firmly over night and then did the mechanical part of the install the next evening. Take your time and do it right and make the fixes you deem necessary and all will be fine. No need to rush perfection.
Old Nov 05, 2008, 08:19 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,072 Posts
I certanly am not speedy.

Thanks for the info.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2008, 09:06 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,072 Posts
I went back to check where all of you said the CG was supposed to be.

From what I understand anywhere from the suggested CG all the way back to the CF spar in the wing. so it looks like there is a wide range of where the CG should be and that would depend how each person likes their planes set up.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2008, 10:21 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Sounds like you got the right idea Orrin. Let us know how she flies for you.