HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2008, 07:33 AM
Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnz
Have a question about the 'dual rates' as recommended by the manual. I have never used them before, but did have a play around with exponential tonight with my 7CAP. What do you guys normally use? If you use dual rates, do you set it up with a switched change or just with the position of the stick?

I use dual rates set at 100 % to get full up elevator for taking off the water.

When I am airborne I switch off dual rate which I have set to 60% throw for elevator. Makes it easier for just general flying around.
Hunter850 is offline Find More Posts by Hunter850
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2008, 08:16 AM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
840 Posts
If i did'nt have enough batts I would jump on this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933733
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Oct 05, 2008, 01:21 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Partly successful Seawind Maiden flight

Well, I got in the first flight today, just one flight in fairly breezy conditions. Take off was not much problem, but I couldn't get down the altitude and speed over the lake to land and after three or four attempts decided to do a grass landing. You can see in the video that it was not too bad but the bounce was enough to rip the wooden motor mount from the polystyrene body (see photo). So, that was the end of flying for the day. Came home and glued it back on (seems as though there wasn't really much glue in on the firewall of the mount originally). Noticed that flying without much dihedral is fairly hairy too, must dial in a bit more exponential into my tx to try and tame that a bit. Otherwise, good fun and looking forward to a calmer day to do a water landing.

Video here.
Johnnz is offline Find More Posts by Johnnz
Last edited by Johnnz; Oct 05, 2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2008, 05:57 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
151 Posts
The same happend to me. I think the SeaWind construction is to weak (bad)!

This is my tip how to repair the motor mount>>>
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post10361473
Tomas Dunker is offline Find More Posts by Tomas Dunker
Old Oct 06, 2008, 05:09 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Woohoo! Nailed a water landing!

Pulled off a truly gorgeous landing on water this evening. What an awesome feeling, and my fiance got really good footage of it on video. Here it is slown down 4 times - just had to post it

Will post a longer video after doing a bit more editing later on, but this little clip is the creme-de-la creme!

Edit: Just uploaded longer video of flight.
Last edited by Johnnz; Oct 07, 2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2008, 06:30 AM
Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
613 Posts
Nice landing. A perfect 10.

Now if you can do that everytime without slowing down the video. I usually do a few skips along the water on my landings, although my last was getting much better. I do get water inside if I do not out tape along the leading edge of the canopy.

kevin
Hunter850 is offline Find More Posts by Hunter850
Old Oct 06, 2008, 08:16 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,778 Posts
BRAVO !!

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Oct 09, 2008, 03:29 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
sheesh, just been out again this evening and of about a total of 5 or so take off and landings, couldn't get anywhere near smooth as that again. Every attempt bounced a good couple of feet off the water back up into the air again, and usually landed into a tussock!

Am a bit annoyed by two distinct vibration noises coming from this model too. One is a loud fluttering noise I suspect is the antenna hitting on the tail elevator, and the other is a loud buzzing noise that I guess is the cowling for the motor vibrating at certain RPMs. Or, perhaps it is an unbalanced prop?
Also, I get an annoying cut out of the motor at certain times, Perhaps twice a flight, which used to happen when I had this gear in my Easy Star too. Maybe a glitch or dead spot in reception? Just momentary but not good.

Anyway, takeoffs havent been any problem so far. Never had a spin out with the wingtips or anything.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 07:39 PM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Just back from the lake. Got through a battery and a half when I stalled after trying to abort a landing and a wingtip caught the water a few meters in front of me which caused the Seawind to do a partial cartwheel detaching the cockpit in the process. So while the plane stayed upright in the water and I could bring it back to shore, I was forced to go back home to get a paddle so I could take a kayak out to rescue the crew who were carried half way down the lake in the wind by the time I caught up with them.

Getting better on landing consistently now, main thing I think is to not be afraid to bring down the airspeed on approach. I have the trim pretty well dialed in now and am quite surprised how slow I can actually bring it in without dropping a wing into the drink.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 09:20 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,331 Posts
Hey. If this was easy, everyone would be doing it!

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:40 PM
Miami, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2007
234 Posts
Anyone else having problems with the wing attachment . On my first flight I checked the wing to make sure it was firmly attached ( screw tight and seated properly). Less than a minute into the flight control was not very responsive so I brought her in for a gentle landing on grass. The front wing dowl had come unglued and the wing was barely held on by the screw. Anouther minute or two in the air and the wing would probably have come off . I have seen a couple of modes posted here, if anybody has any more sugestions on a easy fix it would be appreciated. Thanks. Denny
F4J Denny is offline Find More Posts by F4J Denny
Old Oct 28, 2008, 03:26 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
read the threads...its all there
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:59 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,060 Posts
We just had an problem with one of our five Seawinds in the club. It seems the front wing mounting plate was barely glued to the foam. Luckily we were in the shop when I looked at the wing and saw the little plywood square on the wing dowel while the wing was off the plane. I guess we better add the front ply plate to the list of glue joints to inspect during the build.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Nov 01, 2008, 09:00 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well after the demise of my P-38 I took one of the Castle Creation Phoenix 25 esc's and stuck it into my Seawind. No more problems. The Great Planes esc was the problem as it has been in all my other planes that have had them. So now I have a video of me flying off water. It was a bit squirrely on take off and the landing was not as planed but hey I get to fly another day. Please forgive the narrations and the closeup of the hand. My mom flew in from Oregon and she wanted to see what I did for fun and she wanted to try and film it. I think she did real well. Better video to come. Until then please enjoy.

Seawind (5 min 16 sec)
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Nov 02, 2008, 02:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Good job team!

Hi Jason and Jason's Mum,

Really enjoyed your video J's M, what better thing to do than go out with your wee laddie and see him fly, very cool indeed. A definate 9/10 for effort and perserverance, especially for a first time I guess, sure isn't easy to video a small model aeroplane. Commentary was just fine, nice to hear honest comments. Did you have ducks or some water fowl in the background ?
Jason, flying very good too, down wind landings not my favourite either. You always have to make the best choices depending on the situation.
Great job team! Well done indeed.

regds, Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid