HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:51 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,874 Posts
I'm running the E-flite 8x6 Slow Flyer prop on it right now. Works great.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLP0860
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2008, 04:08 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Just ordered one of these Seawinds a few days ago. Looking forward to making use of water for a runway

Will be using the Hyperion motor I posted in this thread a while back with a 2100 mah battery pack, hope it balances well, or I will have to get hold of a 1320 or 1500 mah pack.

Will post photos and maybe video too of maiden in a few weeks!
Johnnz is offline Find More Posts by Johnnz
Old Sep 21, 2008, 06:48 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Fear not John, I use a 2200 mAh lipo in my plane and it balances with no ballast. You will be fine and this is a great plane. It is a very fast build and my suggestion is just be patient when putting it together, don't get ahead of yourself and it will turn out fine. Have fun and enjoy it, I know I do mine.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:08 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
I did find my Seawind to be pretty nose heavy in feel with the larger battery. The model takes off better on the water and has a nicer feel in pitch with the smaller battery pack and the CG located a little behind the factory setup, in my experience.

I would consider doing some equipment rearrangement if I had to use a 2100-2200 battery, to move the battery back a good ways.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 21, 2008, 02:13 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I relocated nothing. It's built and balance to the manual and takes off and lands on water and land just fine. It is still very acrobatic and I am not gentle with my flying.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Many reports are in about moving the CG back a bit, to the spar area with good results on the EP Seawind. I found it to be better.

Unless you try it yourself, how do you know it is not a better arrangement?
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:12 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,874 Posts
I'm with you, Thomas. Balance it on the spar. The manual has the CG too far forward. (I didn't even construct that foamie CG machine thingy.)
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:12 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,035 Posts
I agree - CG on the wing spar for best performance.

Orion, if you like the way it flies in the stock, nose heavy condition, you're gonna love the aerobatics with the CG moved back! Give it a try. If you want to test it out, just shift your batteries and move the CG to halfway between stock and the spar to start with and then all the way back to the spar.

Mike
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:30 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I'll try that. It's only a 3/16" move of CG.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 04:11 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Just wondering, does the aileron servo need the lugs attached to work in the seawind? Just wondering since I have some servos suitable but have already taken off the lugs. I see that the front servos need lugs to fit into the board.

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 06:15 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,035 Posts
Lugs? Not if you use hot melt glue to install the servo.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Sep 29, 2008, 04:41 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Have made some progress with my first Seawind build since Sunday and just attached the aluminium motor mount I made this evening (to suit Hyperion P1919-04). Other wise quite a straightforward build. Couldn't find any foam safe CA - only thing for polystyrene I could find at the hardware store was a big caulking gun tube of "Nailbond PA" used in the construction industry. A bit messy but should do the trick.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:02 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Decided to use the servos from my Trex heli that has been short of a motor and gyro for a few months so it wont miss a few servos too... since my motor is high kv (2100) my propellor looks a bit conspicuous by its small size. just have to hook them up tomorrow then all is nearly done
Old Oct 02, 2008, 02:43 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2005
738 Posts
Just finished everything tonight. COG is 28mm back from the LE with a 2100 3S battery in the front. Sound OK?

Have a question about the 'dual rates' as recommended by the manual. I have never used them before, but did have a play around with exponential tonight with my 7CAP. What do you guys normally use? If you use dual rates, do you set it up with a switched change or just with the position of the stick?

I must say that this is quite an attractive aircraft. Although the material is not very inspiring, this plane has to be the best looking I have ever built. Should get a chance to maiden it this Sunday weather permiting, and will definitely try to get some video footage.
Old Oct 02, 2008, 08:36 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
good work johnnz.

nice motor mount too. That would be great for E-flight motors.

I think I may have 10% expo on low rates and 20% on high rates.
My rudder is as much throw as i can get no expo or dual rate. I would not go very high on low rate elevator as it can actually make your landings worse

Peace,

I got a float fly Saturday
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder