HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:12 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,439 Posts
Tic, you are seeing exactly the same thing I've found, full up elevator, and a little right aileron till it breaks, I was surprised how effective the ailerons were on low rate even during takeoff when it isn't going very fast, they respond really well.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
The trick to fast and straight takeoffs is to hold full up elevator until it breaks the water and is airborn.. The manual even mentions this and there is no worry that it will go straight up and stall or snap, it doesn't.. Just relax the back pressure once it's airborne... Also, right aileron is needed during the entire take off run... Less and less as the speed builds but even if you have perfect lateral balance, it wants to drag the left tip float a little under power... Try just these two things and your takeoffs will be straight and true. Choppy water can actually HELP. (at least it did for me)... When you catch a ripple or small wave it will LEAP into the air early...
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F-101B Voodoo with video
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2007, 02:07 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
RAFguy,
The recommended Rimfire motor must be the answer why Chuck could not get his Seawind to ROG, he didn't use it!!!
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Aug 27, 2007, 05:59 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjiskra
RAFguy,
The recommended Rimfire motor must be the answer why Chuck could not get his Seawind to ROG, he didn't use it!!!
Don
I didn't use it either, but my takes off in the grass perfectly with the BP 2212-13.

There is nothing magic about the suggested motor with the exception of it fitting the firewall without modifications....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 27, 2007, 06:45 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
ThomasB,
I agree!!! The substitued motor could not do it.
Don
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Aug 27, 2007, 06:56 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,439 Posts
Just be sure that you check the screws/loctite them on the rimfire motors as there are some who had the shaft come out due to looseness when mounted backwards as in they are in the seawind and WWI birds, I also pulled my shaft out, moved the c-clip to the end(where there is a groove) and re-installed it to make sure it won't come out.

There are a couple of threads that talk about this but they turn into a bunch of legal and non-topic related flames that it's hard to bother reading them.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjiskra
ThomasB,
I agree!!! The substitued motor could not do it.
Don
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F-101B Voodoo with video
Old Aug 27, 2007, 07:53 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
The manual isn't kidding when it says it will take off from grass if it is short and DRY!.. I keep my flying field cut pretty short and when the grass is DRY, the seawind will take off no problem.. If the grass is wet with dew or from rain, it's stuck immediately... Strange.... I thought the hydrodynamic lubrication from wet grass would help, not impede a takeoff
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:36 AM
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
642 Posts
Nope, mine took off from wet grass, the first flight on Sunday morning. I too thought it would work better on wet grass but it took a bit of throttle/ rudder/ elevator management to get it tracking. I had fun just running it in my yard Saturday night. As far as the RimFire, I used it because the manual said so. I'm an old school balsa and nitro guy and all this electric stuff is new to me. While I have been flying electric for five years, I just use what ever the instructions say. Easier for me
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:52 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFguy
. While I have been flying electric for five years, I just use what ever the instructions say. Easier for me
But not easier on the wallet....
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2007, 09:03 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Actually this plane with the reccomended esc , motor and servos is VERY easy on the wallet, relatively speaking... 35 bucks for a brushless ESC and 39 bucks for a brushless motor?... simply amazing!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:17 AM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
You pay more for weight savings than performance some times. It depends how important the weight is for each flyer.

The motors on this thread run from 1.2 oz to 2.58 oz. Without adding lead or a huge battery I would not recommend a heavy motor. IMHO

Im content with my $48.99 park 400 with almost 300 flights on it at 2oz.
That being said If i did not have any motors around the house I would have dove right in on a 1.9 oz motor for 39.99. Efficiency of the motors, well, thats another story, but as many of you know as the years fly by there are some very nice cost effective motors available. Long live RC!

Can someone merge these two threads? Valuable information is contained in both!
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Aug 28, 2007, 06:46 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Actually this plane with the reccomended esc , motor and servos is VERY easy on the wallet, relatively speaking... 35 bucks for a brushless ESC and 39 bucks for a brushless motor?... simply amazing!
74 bucks for both is a good deal....but a BP 2212-13 for 16 and a Pulso 33 amp ESC for 28 bucks is a much better deal at $44......40% less... Saves enough for a 20-30 AMP ESC!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:54 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,966 Posts
Good idea COOLBOARDER. I've forwarded your idea to the Site Suggestions/Complaints Forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/site-suggest...omplaints-259/

Hope they get the Seawind Threads combined soon.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Aug 30, 2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:58 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
Good idea COOLBOARDER. I've forwarded your idea to the Site Suggestions / Complaints Forum. Hope they get the Seawind Threads combined soon.
Mike McD
Hey Mike your links dont work......

Personally , I will try to keep the motor / rear weight down , if the bigger seawind is anything to go by , it has been said before , but lighter planes fly better
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Aug 30, 2007, 06:42 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,966 Posts
Well, OK. It really wasn't intended to be a link, just blue text. A link is probably not a bad idea though, so I've edited the post to include a link to the topic forum.

The flight and takeoff performance of the Mini Seawind is greatly influenced by the wing loading. I'm using a 1250 mah 3-cell pack instead of the 2100 mah pack I started out with and the difference is amazing. I may even try some of my 1000 mah or 900 mah packs in the near future.

Right now I'm having too much fun to monkey around with the setup. I've flown the Mini every morning this week. Takeoffs are routine using full "up", and now I'm working on my landings. It's not really a problem, but I'm getting 1 little hop as the rudder touches before it settles in for the landing. I guess the water contact pushes the rear of the plane up a little and it keeps flying for another foot or so. I'm being really picky here. I guess I'm spoiled by my J-3 Cub where I can drag my water rudder along the surface of the water for 20 feet before the floats ever touch the water surface. Speaking of water, the sun is almost ready to rise and the lake is really calm right now, so I'm grabbing my TX and my Seawind and heading for a little "Dawn Patrol" flying.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:02 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
We went boating yesterday and sure enough, when we got home the big brown toy truck had made a delivery!... Seawind #2 has arrived just one day late.. This one had the wingbolt problem and thanks to these seawind threads I wasn't worried, I cleaned out the hole and put the screw back in, pushed hard on the screwdriver and it finally caught the hole in the fuse.. This one also has a crease in the wing almost the length of the left wing. It's not bad and the big seawind sticker covers it up nicely... One small gouge in the fuse but otherwise I'm happy.. I sure wish I had a large body of water within walking distance or even within 20min. driving but I don't.. If the new seawind had arrived just one day earlier I could have flown it yesterday from our boat.. Oh well.. I'm going to take my time assembling this one with more attention to water intrusion spots. I will also fly it a little more consevatively but that will be hard.. The wing is incredibly strong , no maneuver I put it through had me at all worried about airframe failure.