HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2008, 09:52 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Yeah, I had been doing that but you can't just putt around slowly. You really have to give it some throttle so the elevator will put the rudder in the water which was my initial misunderstanding. I thought the rudder would work at a slow speed but not enough was in the watter to counteract the wind or current.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:27 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,211 Posts
I think I'm going to extend the water rudder a bit. A quarter inch should work just fine especially if the front of the rudder is relieved for shedding debris.

I had a ball with my SW this weekend at the Colorado River. Took a trip down river to a large sandbar and used that for the afternoon flight ops. The river is a good quarter mile across at that point, there was hardly any wind, air temp at 110 degrees, water temps at mid-seventies. Get out, dry hands, fly, land, get back into river. Repeat.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:09 AM
McLean, VA
Joined Dec 2001
288 Posts
Mark,

Extending the rudder won't help. I did that on mine. It extends below the hull about 3/4 inch and a pivot bolt allows it to kick-up if it contacts an obstruction, or for flying off grass. I still find I have to increase my taxi speed to get steering control in the water. As taxi speed increases, the tail and rudder are forced deeper into the water and the original rudder will provide good steering.

I also found that putting small plastic tabs sticking out of the bottoms of the wing tip floats helps level the plane as it gains speed. The tabs are clear plastic from a blister package. They are 3/8 inch wide and glued into the floats angled rearward at approximately a 45 degree angle so that about one inch sticks out of the float. They act as planers forcing the low wing tip upward.
Jim Blanchfield is offline Find More Posts by Jim Blanchfield
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:34 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Anyone else having a hard time keeping their Seawind clean? The white on mine attracts dirt from everywhere. Not to mention the couple of times its been in the water it now has the realistic water ring around it.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:11 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blanchfield
I also found that putting small plastic tabs sticking out of the bottoms of the wing tip floats helps level the plane as it gains speed. The tabs are clear plastic from a blister package. They are 3/8 inch wide and glued into the floats angled rearward at approximately a 45 degree angle so that about one inch sticks out of the float. They act as planers forcing the low wing tip upward.
Thanks for the 411, Jim. I did the wingtip tabs a while back and it works a treat. You can't see them but they sure do work! I cut mine from the plastic tray you get with an Air Hogs micro.

Now to build the big 71" Great Planes Seawind with a planned 1500 watt system. I saw one powered with a .90 of some persuasion at a float fly last year and fell in love.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:46 AM
Registered abuser
USA, IL, Deerfield
Joined Jan 2004
266 Posts
On my last flight, my throttle was slow to respond to inputs (Futaba 9CAP). While taxi-ing, I shut the throttle down, but the motor did not repsond until about 4 seconds later. All other subchannels (rudder, etc) worked fine, so I don't think I got hit from another radio or other rf generator. After reading this thread, it seems that perhaps the ESC is overheating.

Any comments on this phenomenon, folks?

Norb
Norb is offline Find More Posts by Norb
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:35 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax
Anyone else having a hard time keeping their Seawind clean? The white on mine attracts dirt from everywhere. Not to mention the couple of times its been in the water it now has the realistic water ring around it.
Yeah they've used a CHEAP emulsion paint mine is 'sticky' also
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:02 PM
McLean, VA
Joined Dec 2001
288 Posts
Mark,

I have a friend who has the big one flying on electric from the water. Its an impressive sight. The electric system has a very nice sound compared to the gas powered ones. You're going to really like it.

Jim
Jim Blanchfield is offline Find More Posts by Jim Blanchfield
Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:06 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
yup

I've got polycrylic and spackle on some of this plane now and foresee some primer and a repaint this winter

Got 2 g-force 1300's for cheap and will give some stats or specs if anyone is interested. They are probably close to an ounce heavier than the tp 1320's ,but higher discharge and less than half the price.
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:06 PM
Gravity brings me down
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Thanks for the 411, Jim. I did the wingtip tabs a while back and it works a treat. You can't see them but they sure do work! I cut mine from the plastic tray you get with an Air Hogs micro.

Now to build the big 71" Great Planes Seawind with a planned 1500 watt system. I saw one powered with a .90 of some persuasion at a float fly last year and fell in love.

mw
Be aware that you may have a lot of work to do to improve the hull of the big GP SW. Several people have commented that the quality of the FG hull is lacking. Lots of pinholes and fragile unless reinforced with more glass.
Earthbound is offline Find More Posts by Earthbound
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:32 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,988 Posts
Here's my E-powered GP Seawind article http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660997 . If you watch the videos you can see that the takeoffs are interesting. I haven't been able to try our full up elevator takeoff process on the big one, but it might work.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:44 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Here's a video of Vern's Glow Seawind.
He talks about the hull weakness and what he did.
Seawind & Vern Leets (3 min 54 sec)
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Aug 15, 2008, 04:07 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
Those are so great to watch

I flew my GP little one with another guy in OH and he is running
a polyquest 4s 3700 and a 3s 3700 in series for 7s and it was flying when the waves were too large for everyone else, it was more than impressive.
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Aug 16, 2008, 02:07 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well I have done this for my other planes so I felt I was neglecting my Seawind. I want quite as brave with the Seawind on getting close to the camera. Mainly because I was next to the camera and its a little different with the plane coming at you. SO enjoy what little I got.

GP Seawind EP (4 min 33 sec)
Old Aug 17, 2008, 05:13 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
151 Posts
Repairing wing-peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Dunker
What do you think about SeaWinds wing attachment? Something wrong with the design!?
In a tight turn (bank) before landing the wing come loose!? Carbon wing peg loosen and also the wing mont. The wing fixed construction on SeaWind is not so wery strong, or..?
Repairing wing-peg:
If I known SeaWinds weak (bad) construction I should done this reinforcement before first flight!
Tomas Dunker is offline Find More Posts by Tomas Dunker
Last edited by Tomas Dunker; Aug 17, 2008 at 10:49 AM.