HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:54 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax
Anyone relocate their esc up to the engine cowl?

Ive thought about cutting the long wires from the motor to the esc and splicing them to make 2 long wires from the esc to the battery and using the 3rd motor wire to pull an extension through to the esc for the receiver. Any thoughts on this guys?
Why? The setup works just fine as is.
Don't worry about wire length. You'd have to have awfully long (yards, not inches) leads to have any effect on the amp draw. Twisting wires is done to counteract the magnetic lines of flux that can induce currents in adjacent wiring. Some say it matters. In this case I don't believe it does.

If you do decide to shorten your motor leads, you can use the pull wire method or use a length of bead chain to snake through the areas where you want the wires to go. I do this often when installing long servo leads in a wing.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:56 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Thanks Mark. The only reason I am considering this is for airflow without putting holes in the plane. I really like the look of the plane as is and don't want to change it. The esc gets hot enough to get the velcro adhesive to let go which is pretty hot. Plus the motor sputters after about 10 min of flight with out full throttle usage and I fear it is not going to last unless I get it cool.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:26 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,267 Posts
I think I'd upgrade the ESC before anything else. You can always use the existing one in a less demanding environment. More holes in a waterplane seems a bit counterproductive to me.

mw
Old Aug 01, 2008, 12:13 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
So what would you recommend as an upgrade from a the electrify 25 amp esc?

Does a bigger esc mean I have to change anything else?
Old Aug 01, 2008, 03:54 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,267 Posts
1) A Castle Creations P25 or Tbird 36. Usually they are underrated amp-wise and are generally hard to kill in normal conditions.

2) No.

mw
Old Aug 01, 2008, 03:55 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
Good question. I've put my existing eflight 20 amp v1 under worse conditions than these and it's still flying.

Hopefully someone with electrical skills will point you to an esc that maybe is more effecient, therefore generates less heat.
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Aug 01, 2008, 04:45 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well I am a firm believer in CC Phoenix 25's. Thats what i run my P-38's with. I can get them for around $50 so that should work perfectly.
Thanks

Orion
Old Aug 03, 2008, 03:42 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,021 Posts
Here's the Seawind at the 3DHS Fly Low In at Big D. The event was hosted by the 114th Aero Squadron in Dallas and was a great success. I flew the Seawind a number of times off the grass and showed those guys that "Edge" types aren't the only planes with some great moves. I think they were impressed with my outside snap-tumble-flat-spin.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 03, 2008, 04:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi Kingsflyer,

You've certainly impressed me anyway! Is that an upright and level entry, snapping into a 'bunt' (outside loop for 360 in pitch) or a 'flick roll' for 360, with upright or inverted spin? Good job your wee pilots dont upchuck, plays havoc with the radio gear, is corrosion X good for that? regd's Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Aug 03, 2008, 05:08 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,021 Posts
I can enter upright or inverted, climbing slightly full bore, and cram the sticks up and into the middle - Full Down, Full left ailerons, Full throttle, full right rudder. Everything on high rates. Get some altitude and give it a try.
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:57 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Well I tried to ROW yesterday. I got to the water and set it in. the wind at that particular moment decided to blow hard enough to take my hat off. I tried to just taxi but the plane would weather vein. Luckily the wind was blowing to me so i just waited. The nose of the plane did get submerged but all was dry inside. I will try again some other time.
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:22 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
Aileron in the direction of the turn to dig in a wingtip
high rate on rudder
full up elevator

should get u turning as good as you can in the water, unless you decide to increase the size of your water rudder

Cool
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Aug 05, 2008, 08:31 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Did just what you said. The left wing went all the way under. Scared the crap out of me. It really was too windy. I was more or less hoping the wind would die back down like it was when I first go there but no such luck. It will be better on a calm day.
Old Aug 09, 2008, 10:37 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
So I went to try ROW again. This time the water was good and flat. So I set her down into the water and tried to taxi out. Apparently you can't slow putt this thing out. You have to jam the throttle up and get it going before you have control. Also, something keeps causing twitches. Would one of my receiver wires touching an esc wire cause it. I found one touching when I took the wing off. Anyway I am going to keep trying and maybe one day I will get it.

Edit: Well I took it to our little pool here at the apartments and decided to give it a safer shot. I don't have much room but its enough to get moving to steer. Another 5 feet and I bet I can get it on step. So that little practice answered my question. It also thankfully saved me from loosing a plane. The prop spun off while I was taxiing around. 20 some odd flights and it finally decides to let go. SO a little thread locker later and it is ready to go again.
Last edited by Orion Pax; Aug 09, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2008, 09:35 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,021 Posts
I have to hold full up high rate elevator even to taxi. I also use aileron to dip one wingtip to help taxi.

McD
RCG Plus Member