HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2008, 10:03 AM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Well if I vent it I am going to make a water catch for it and a drain out the back.
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2008, 11:35 AM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
840 Posts
keep up the ideas on cooling.

What about affixing the esc to near the canopy magnet and then adding a similar size cutout in the back of the canopy. With minimal, small well placed slits in the canopy cover it may work. It would certainly be more in the airflow and one could keep cg, balance etc.

Additionally (i have the canopy waterproofed) 95% of the water in my seawind comes from behind the wing saddle.
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Jul 04, 2008, 02:05 PM
United States, MA, Wareham
Joined Dec 2002
216 Posts
Has Great Planes offered any suggestion? I think getting the controller forward near the magnet and having the air in and air out in in close proximity to that area is a good idea. I agree water entry is primarily at the saddles.
frdeluca1 is offline Find More Posts by frdeluca1
Old Jul 04, 2008, 03:23 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
840 Posts
keep in mind their stock setup (guessing) is what 11 amps. I do not know if they took this into account. I'm sure they were more concerned about water entering IMHO

That being said I have over 100 flights, but i think mine landed prematurely for this reason once. I do not think it was LVC.

Cool
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Jul 04, 2008, 03:38 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
I have the stock setup. Its a 25 amp esc so if its over heating then they knew about it. They just picked the lesser of the 2 evils. I think I was flying a bit hard though. I would do full throttle bursts but they were frequent and with it being 95 degrees and sunny it doesn't help matters. My esc is located in the secondary position under the wing saddle. Still thinking on the scoop deal. I don't know if I want it raised or if I want it low profile like a Lamborghini's brake cooling vents.
Old Jul 05, 2008, 07:08 AM
United States, MA, Wareham
Joined Dec 2002
216 Posts
I am usually OK once in the air, but I only fly occasionaly at full throttle and only for shot bursts I was bit surprised when I had this cutout problem at takeoff.

I think this is an extremely marginal situation which will probably cause premature controller failure unless cooling is provided.

With Corroision X I only had a moisture problem once following a hard landing causing the receiver to fall to the floor of the fusalage into the small amount of water that entered during splashdown. Dried the receiver off, relocated it higher and off I went.

I guess there is no choice, other than replacing contollers often, than to provide cooling and live with more water entry.

I don't hear a lot off other folks on this thread having this problem (??)
frdeluca1 is offline Find More Posts by frdeluca1
Old Jul 05, 2008, 09:22 AM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Well I found the problem. When I got into this hobby I bought 2 Thunder Power Batteries. Both are exactly the same. They both have 17 flights on them and if I fly 1 in a plane I fly the other in the same plane. I keep as close of time as possible but it isn't perfect. I have a timer on my transmitter but I haven't bothered to learn and use it. I've never flown to LVC with them. However one has decided to cut out before the other. They have never been crashed and the one thats going bad is getting really hot. No puffing in either of them so I am not sure why its going bad but I think I am going to send this one in for repair. $80 is way too much for 17 flights.
Old Jul 05, 2008, 02:26 PM
Wilmington, N.C.
Joined Jan 2008
203 Posts
does anyone know of a seawind fms a little practice before my maiden would be nice. is there a diffrent model on fms with similar flight similarites
darkseacret is offline Find More Posts by darkseacret
Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:32 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
Can you get us a picture of your mount to post here on the thread?
Mike McD
Crude and simple, this motor mount will now be the last thing to break. Two pieces of 1/8 lite ply laminated together, the center cut out to lighten then PU'd in with screws to boot.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:20 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,302 Posts
Went and flew this morning. No problems at all and nice smooth flying.

I did notice one thing though. I was running the battery down to lvc and I just had the throttle running at half speed. After a period of 20-30 sec I decided to wiggle the control surfaces. When I moved the elevator the motor glitched once. The same thing happened when I moved the other control surfaces. It would continue to do so as long as I gave it sufficient time (20-30 sec).

Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this or if it is going to cause any trouble?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:36 PM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Strange flight occurrence!

I took out my Seawind a few days ago to fly off my boat. When I attached the wing I noticed it didn't fit perfectly into it's saddle, as it did in the past. Anyway, I was able to screw down the screw (which is a socket head 4-40 bolt I believe) into it's mount. On takeoff I noticed I had to give it quite a bit of up trim. I had flown many previous flights on several different days and the trim was set perfectly. I simply re-adjusted the trim and kept flying since it appeared to be flying fine. During the flight I did the usual aerobatics, including spins, loops, rolls...whatever. 10 minutes or so later I came in for a landing and after getting the Seawind back on my boat I was shocked to find the rear of the wing wasn't attached to the saddle at all. Somehow the amazing Seawind flew the entire flight not attached to the fuse....amazing! The peg at the front of the wing held...and I guess God was my co-pilot on this one!

I later figured out what happened. The bolt didn't catch the plastic block (which I had taped to 4-40) and it probably tightened up along side of the mounting plate. It seemed to tighten up pretty good, so I assumed it was on properly.

From now on, if the wing isn't perfectly seated on the saddle, I'll fiddle until it's dead on.

The Seawind continues to be an amazing flying model, and the one I grab first at the lake.
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:50 AM
Sweden
Joined Mar 2006
152 Posts
The same happen to me but God was not with me. See>> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=636
I think SeaWind need some redesigning how to attached the wing!? Anyone that have some recommendation?

/Tomas D.
Tomas Dunker is online now Find More Posts by Tomas Dunker
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:32 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Yeah , just read these threads..... there are all sorts of fixes for this piece of junk , I wouldnt buy another at HALF the price....buy an E-flite Beaver instead
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:58 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,114 Posts
Son,

There are a lot of folks that have a pretty low opinion of the Beaver as well. Reports are that it flies but just barely and is a real pig on floats. Everybody is allowed their own opinion.

I'm still flying my original Seawind and will have it out Tuesday for our club float fly. I'm taking it to Dallas next month for the 3DHS Event at DFW. It flies off grass just fine.

MIke McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jul 20, 2008, 08:04 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Yeah well this is mine............at least the Beaver has an excellent build quality which is most of the battle and as with the Sea Swill good flying is mostly set up and trim
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE