HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:55 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
Music: Garrison Star

She made that recording when she was in High School (11 years ago) . My "slow stick in the wind" vid on Vimeo has some more of her music.

I may have to retire this old TP 1320. I will be getting some LoongMax 1300's

coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2008, 09:54 AM
United States, MA, Wareham
Joined Dec 2002
216 Posts
First flight

First attempt off grass with a TP 1320 as far forward as possible. OOPS, the prop took off but the plane did not. Dab of glue and try again. High rate full up, a little push, and airborn in about twenty feet. A little down and left trim and straight and level. Loops, rolls , inverted. Nice plane.

Easy landing but with a loong approach. Removed battery and touched controller, Ouch! very hot, but without any ventilation it is bound to be.

Has anybody had controller failure due to overheating? My lake is next, so I am reluctant to cut holes anywhere.

Thoughts?

Frank
frdeluca1 is offline Find More Posts by frdeluca1
Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:13 AM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
839 Posts
Your right they get hot in there. I have mine propped up on end with the shrinkwrap removed.

I would like to see someone put a 20mm exaust fan $4.99 in the cockpit floor. then some strategically placed smaller holes in the canopy roof.
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Jun 21, 2008, 04:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi Guys,
What I've seen elsewhere is remove the shrinkwrap and using thermal paste for CPU cooling fins, extend the cooling fins through the skin to the airflow, done with care and edge sealed with silicon it is water tight. Align the fins with the airflow and you get great cooling with very little drag, cheers Al.
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:35 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,279 Posts
HI, guys!

A lousy quality motor vibrated the mount into a couple hundred pieces lately so I have to rebuild the mount from the firewall out. Any templates out there or do I get to scratch one?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 22, 2008, 01:28 PM
Wisdom can not be granted.
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
Sounds like you have an itch. I don't know of any plans.

Sorry
Orion Pax is offline Find More Posts by Orion Pax
Old Jun 22, 2008, 04:08 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,032 Posts
Try a solid balsa block with a ply face. Use the "X" mount and the prop adapter bolted to the motor bell. It's a much stronger mount and a lot easier than building another jigsaw puzzle mount.
Mike McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jun 22, 2008, 07:27 PM
Oh - yeah, I meant to do that
Central NY
Joined Feb 2008
250 Posts
Hey Guys,

I picked up my Seawind EP last night form the LHS and noticed the prop that came with it was a little bit flat ended. At first I thought this was a defect in t he prop, but then I noticed that the picture ont he box clearly show the same type of ends on the prop tips.

Anyone now anything about this? Is there a reason that GP is shipping props like this? I was not sure if it was because its a seaplane, but I supect that this desiging might help shead water off the prop faster?

Sorry - if this has been discussed, but I did not find it while doing a quick search on this thread.

Thanks - e_airman
e_airman is offline Find More Posts by e_airman
Old Jun 22, 2008, 07:46 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I think it is more for deflecting water away from the motor rather keeping the water off the prop, but I am just speculating. Good question though and I would like to know the real answer too.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:04 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
End plates on Props.

Hi Guys,

It attempts to resove two (2) issues with small semi flexable props.

Efficiency and Stiffness.

1. Very simillar to 'Winglets' on airliners, reduces drag by decreasing the blade tip vortex caused by the airflow mixing from front and rear blade faces.

2. Two (2) major forces are at work on props, working in opposition to each other, Aerodynamic twisting moment Vs Centrifugal/Centripedal twisting moment.
At changes of angle of attack on the blade due to speed change, RPM change or model velocity change, the centre of pressure/reaction moves across the chord line and twists the blade. The 'G' force change is caused by the mass of the blade physically being ahead or behind the centre of reaction during different loading caused by the speed change.
In short, the blade is twist variable/unstable
The wee bit at the end helps a little.
regards, Al
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:11 PM
Central NY
Joined Feb 2008
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorheid
Hi Guys,

It attempts to resove two (2) issues with small semi flexable props.

Efficiency and Stiffness.

1. Very simillar to 'Winglets' on airliners, reduces drag by decreasing the blade tip vortex caused by the airflow mixing from front and rear blade faces.

2. Two (2) major forces are at work on props, working in opposition to each other, Aerodynamic twisting moment Vs Centrifugal/Centripedal twisting moment.
At changes of angle of attack on the blade due to speed change, RPM change or model velocity change, the centre of pressure/reaction moves across the chord line and twists the blade. The 'G' force change is caused by the mass of the blade physically being ahead or behind the centre of reaction during different loading caused by the speed change.
In short, the blade is twist variable/unstable
The wee bit at the end helps a little.
regards, Al

Rotorheid,

Your answer sounds pretty good - I will go with that. Does the type of prop have a name? I have seen props with odd tips to help reduce prop nise, that was my other thought.

thanks e_airman
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
e_airman,
Sorry mate I don't know the official name, something like 'Hoener tipped prop' or 'End plated prop'
Generally speaking, any noise is caused by air mixing. Gas turbines are loud by hot/cold mixing and velocity mixing. Props by velocity mixing. Noise = Drag.
Cheers Al.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 08:30 PM
Shreveport Louisiana
Joined Dec 2006
6,300 Posts
I'll swallow that. Lot better than my thought and makes more sense.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 09:42 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Tower Hobbies has this quote in their "notes from the tech dept" for the Great Planes props:

..."Blade ends are turned back to reduce drag and increase thrust by
improving the blade lift over drag curve..."

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Jun 23, 2008, 05:49 AM
Central NY
Joined Feb 2008
250 Posts
Another Prop question,

I have no problem using the stock prop when I am ready to fly, but I am curious if anyone has switched over the APC prop of the same size with better performance. When I say better performance, I guess I mean less Amp draw for same ROW/Total speed as the stock prop. Or is anyone using a shallower pitch prop, like an 8x4 vs the stock 8x6?

When I do maiden my seawind, I will most likely use the stock (recommended) prop as I am sure GP has done testing to find the best fit (with that said - they are going to recommend the prop they sell and not the other guys who's may or may not be better).

e_airman